DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Checklist

i need just one thing on my list.

remember to press record on the screen otherwise you do not get any video the times i have done that you would not believe
I kept doing that today. Missing 1/4 of my first 2 flights.
The ironic thing is, I did lock my exposure and focus just after takeoff.

Reactions: old man mavic
You have a crew to fly a drone?

3b1d2092e6a4161a34a6fbe8379daabd.jpg

Just a spotter when I want to use FPV

I kept doing that today. Missing 1/4 of my first 2 flights.
The ironic thing is, I did lock my exposure and focus just after takeoff.
i know the feeling i think we expect it to be recording and are concentrating on getting airborn and then forget to press the record icon

Reactions: Bwoody321 and Porky
It's a great list to think through. With more experience, you'll boil it down to a few quick checks.

Here's my list:
Check battery levels.
Hook up the phone to the controller.
Power up/start the DJI app.
Get the GoFly status.
Calibrate the compass if it tells me to do it.
Make sure there's no metal around the drone.
Wait till the home point is set.
Set phone to airplane mode (preserves battery and eliminates incoming calls).
Use the joy sticks to take off. (Both down and in, then left stick up. - that's for mode 2).

Reactions: Bwoody321
It's a great list to think through. With more experience, you'll boil it down to a few quick checks.

Here's my list:
Check battery levels.
Hook up the phone to the controller.
Power up/start the DJI app.
Get the GoFly status.
Calibrate the compass if it tells me to do it.
Make sure there's no metal around the drone.
Wait till the home point is set.
Set phone to airplane mode (preserves battery and eliminates incoming calls).
Use the joy sticks to take off. (Both down and in, then left stick up. - that's for mode 2).

Been using it with my toy drone (Syma X8SW) so I can get used to doing more stuff before I take off as I am getting a Mavic Air in a few days

You better keep it simple with checklist. If they are long, humans will tend to brush it off, miss items, heck, even the OP says he doesn’t use it for every flight!

Remind me: what is the point of a checklist then?!

As an example, does a “deploy landing pad” really needs to be there?

Keep it simple, with only the items that can go bad very quickly. Like waiting for GPS signal and note the wind!

@Bwoody321's checklist has a lot of steps, but each step does not take long to do. A majority of the items on the list are things you have to do to take off and stow the aircraft anyway.

It follows the PAVE (Pilot Aircraft enVironment External pressure) framework. As for assessing the Pilot's condition, it follows the IMSAFE (Illness Medication Stress Alcohol Fatigue Emotion) checklist. I, for one, would have more fun knowing that I have done everything I could to have a safe flight, because remember that you get to have a chat with the FAA if you cause $500 of damage or send someone to the hospital.

You better keep it simple with checklist. If they are long, humans will tend to brush it off, miss items, heck, even the OP says he doesn’t use it for every flight!

Remind me: what is the point of a checklist then?!

As an example, does a “deploy landing pad” really needs to be there?

Keep it simple, with only the items that can go bad very quickly. Like waiting for GPS signal and note the wind!

Ok I agree with you. I know that it isn’t perfect just yet, I’m still removing and adding things here and there so yes you are right some things like that are unnecessary in a sense, but different people forget different things so it may not be the same for everyone in terms of length/detail

@Bwoody321's checklist has a lot of steps, but each step does not take long to do. A majority of the items on the list are things you have to do to take off and stow the aircraft anyway.

It follows the PAVE (Pilot Aircraft enVironment External pressure) framework. As for assessing the Pilot's condition, it follows the IMSAFE (Illness Medication Stress Alcohol Fatigue Emotion) checklist. I, for one, would have more fun knowing that I have done everything I could to have a safe flight, because remember that you get to have a chat with the FAA if you cause $500 of damage or send someone to the hospital.

Like I said, it’s different for everyone. Some people will love it, some will hate it, it’s just down to our general preferences

Do you need a checklist item to turn on the aircraft and transmitter? You are not going very far if you don’t do these. The note total crashes made me smile.

Last edited:
Maybe have Pre Flight and Post Flight check lists.

You could have an In Flight check list too, but be careful that you are not distracted from flying.

dave :)

Maybe have Pre Flight and Post Flight check lists.

You could have an In Flight check list too, but be careful that you are not distracted from flying.

dave :)

That’s part of why it’s so long. it’s day before flight, before flight, in flight, after flight, and day after flight. The app I used to make it didn’t allow me to put those features in there so it’s just one big list

Everyone probably has their own person list of things to do before flight, but I recently care up with 123 different things in one list, covering the day before, before, during, after, and the day after flight. I thought you lot would find it interesting
ad09c1d64870da31e33a3b867c846a5d.jpg
7e01054d449f0120fada236f4c621ef6.jpg
b54e4c7f481dd311a6c80aa5451c15b3.jpg
d191ba6c6b1335207d9bea1f898655cd.jpg
3591848c1402e8a840fe177e07c95cb5.jpg
@Bwoody321

You’ve added more to that list ain’t ya? Lol :D
Now I’ve got to get an A4 binder to carry it all in....

Note to myself, buy an A4 binder..., that should be on the list, should I tell him............

I'll bet I've forgotten to press the red record button many more times than Old Man Mavic has. I used to forget it almost every time I flew -- since I was preoccupied with settings, safety, take-off, etc. I even made a big reminder note and taped it to my iPad: "TURN ON THE CAMERA!" Still forgot. Now I'm in the routine of turning on the camera just before sliding the yellow bar to the right for take-off. If that captures extra footage that I don't want in my final video, I edit it out later using Video Pad.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga