DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly when drizzle

Neto

Reactions
I was flying today when it started to drizzle.
Very light drizzle actually, but I RTH immediately.
No water get the battery, but a couple of drops on Mavic's camera.
I heard somewhere the motors are water resistant.
Is it true?
How resistant to a drizzle are the Mavic?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Drizzel fo shizzle is fine my nizzle

Downpour is not a good idea.

Here is a torture test that illustrates how well it survives water
Rain Test starts at 3:32 mark

Last edited:
Reactions: LuisMack
The motors can easily handle drizzle. They are simply coils that produce an EM field so the props spin. Nothing much can go wrong there.

The motors can easily handle drizzle. They are simply coils that produce an EM field so the props spin. Nothing much can go wrong there.
Except the bearings, although they are sealed to prevent grease loss they are not IP rated (to my knowledge) although, having said that the motor heat and centrifugal force should keep water out..

It's unlikely to drop out of the sky but getting water in it won't be good for longevity, you might get occasional condensation in the lens for a few days.
The motors won't be much troubled but if the fan draws water in through the vent behind the gimbal, fine spray will be getting on circuit boards with unpredictale results.

Reactions: rymannphilippe
Yep, a brutal water stress test by Digital Trends showed that after a minute or so of 4 people spraying the hovering Mav with super soakers, it was the vision system which was the first to go. Probably water making its way onto a circuit board from the fans.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

These type of motors are used in small underwater rovers in fresh and seawater believe it or not. Possibly stainless steel bearings and they require a good squirt of silicon oil after each use .
The big question is, can water get easily onto the circuit boards of the Mavic.

The motors are not the problem at all with water. But the gimbal and camera should be protected from water. And of course the inside of the mavic, but I believe that it´s rather good protected from water except the gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998