DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly within 5 miles of Airport

LasVegasPilot

Reactions

I saw this video which said that you can fly within 5 miles of an airport (not within 1.5) with just a simple call to the ATC.

The reg says you have to notify only ATC of your presence within thier airspace. I know the FAA has the online notification with a 90 day turn around and you're not to just call the local ATC.

If the requirement is to notify, then wouldn't a phonecall to ATC work just to notify?

Wondering if anyone has done this.

This is for hobbyist only (part 101.41). If you're flying commercially (part 107) you have to get an airspace waiver, hence the 90 day turn around.

Video could be better, it's not completely correct. Person should have pointed out that this is hobby and also perhaps pointed out Section 336. He was 100% incorrect about 400' being legal limit (time of his video being made).

I also don't like this "click bait" video description. I've seen this type of thing a few times. They make it look like they have some secrete info on how to do something when really it's simply telling people what the actual rule is.

He's not sure if he needs to contact heli pads? Really? His who video is about flying within 5 miles of an airport and he's not sure about this? That's fine but I hold it against someone who uses a clickbait title and then does not do their homework.

BTW - I've never have them ask how far away I am from them. I've had them ask where I will be flying but then they should really know is that is an issue.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Ok so it's as simple as a phone call?

as a hobbyist YES a simple phone call. You are notifying and they will not "approve" but merely acknowledge the notification.

Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

One thing to also note is that Class B (BRAVO) airspace requires ATC approval not just "Notification.

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.
Airspace Restrictions

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

"Can object, but cant prohibit or prevent"........... If this is so, why even bother calling? How stupid are rules like these? A lot of words that dont answer any questions. Kind of reminds me of the dont fart in an elevator "RULE". Time wasted reading instead of flying IMO.
This tells me it is NOT illegal to fly within 5 miles of an airport. Not that I personally will ever be in a situation that REQUIRES such things.

If the legal requirement is just to advise then how will a listening device keep me out of trouble?
There is no tower at my local airport therefore I use the device to monitor the local traffic amongst the other pilots coming in and out of the airport.

Is someone calls in on you and the police arrive it just looks good to have a radio and you are monitoring traffic, all your preflight checks are visible and you have a copy of your local sectional map. Most importantly you must understand the air space you are flying in

In class C airspace, within 5 miles in a 200' grid area, are you required to contact the FAA or the airport for permission for recreational flight? in the past i have contacted the airport, at a number specifically for drone operators, today i was told they were not the ones to call and that i should contact the FAA for permission.

In class C airspace, within 5 miles in a 200' grid area, are you required to contact the FAA or the airport for permission for recreational flight? in the past i have contacted the airport, at a number specifically for drone operators, today i was told they were not the ones to call and that i should contact the FAA for permission.

As a hobbyist, your obligation (right now) is to notify the airport/facility but you need to let them know you're flying intentions. Be sure to clearly state it's a RECREATIONAL/HOBBY flight otherwise they'll deny the flight and refer you to the FAA( which sounds like exactly what happened).

When flying as a hobbyist it doesn't matter what airspace or "Grid" you're flying in if it's within 5 miles you notify period.

The 5 mile rule has been done away with in uncontrol airspace. I have been looking at flying at our local airport RHP. Do not even need to get permission.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127