DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FLYAWAY, CRASH AND SURPRISE RECOVERY

Luckyguy9

Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I live on the south shore of Long Island and the south of town is on the water. There is a triad of a marina/boat ramp, a golf course and a huge 20 acre sewage treatment plant.

I was on flight #178 with a Mini 2 at the marina filming a friend launching his new boat at the boat ramp. I finished and was returning home to land when all of a sudden, my drone took off toward the sewage plant and at 111 feet spun out of control and crashed just on the other side of a 2 foot thick, 15 foot high concrete wall erected around the plant after it was ravaged by high tides in 2012 by hurricane Sandy. There is still major construction happening with bulldozers, cranes, backhoes, etc.

I thought, “that’s it, it’s long gone, they’ll never let me search for it inside the high security compound.” But I decided with nothing to lose… why not ask, drove to the main security gate and mentioned what happened. They called a supervisor over in a colored vest and hard hat and I showed him the flight path on my iPad and that it crashed just on the other side of the wall in the southwestern most corner of the facility. The guy seemed fascinated! We drove in my truck through the whole facility to that area and for an hour we looked everywhere, climbed to the roof of 3 different 4 story buildings, etc. The last photo received was of my drone on top of some bright yellow rolled hose so we kept looking for that, but to no avail. He was obsessed with figuring out where that yellow hose could be… (see photo)

He asked for my info, took a screenshot of the yellow hose from my iPad and said he was going to e-mail everyone at the facility asking, “who knows where this hose is?”. I left figuring that was the end of that.

Two hours later he calls me saying, “we found your drone, come and get it, you won’t believe where it was”. One of the last images I saw before it crashed was a square white street sweeper cleaning along the perimeter of the property just inside the wall near where my drone crashed. (bottom left in photo) It ends up my mini 2 came spiraling in and hit his windshield. He got out, picked it up, and put it in the back of his sweeper on the yellow hose used to fill his tank from a fire hydrant. The only damage was a broken right front motor arm and some broken props which I can replace for $24.00 on amazon. But the most amazing part was the eagerness of everyone at the facility to help me find my drone. They could have just as easily said, “Look this is a secure facility with 100 construction workers operating all kinds of heavy equipment. We don’t have time to help you.” Instead, they really went above and beyond anything I could have imagined.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 147
Glad you got your Mini back.

This was exactly the same problem with my Mini 1, i.e. "Motor unable to rotate" and then, it crashed. It is still out there in the "wilderness" waiting to be recovered.

An analysis of the flight data provided by the great folks here revealed that it was not pilot error or external factors that caused the crashed. It was a product defect, pure and simple, and the drone was replaced under warranty.

This was exactly the same problem with my Mini 1, i.e. "Motor unable to rotate" and then, it crashed. It is still out there in the "wilderness" waiting to be recovered.

An analysis of the flight data provided by the great folks here revealed that it was not pilot error or external factors that caused the crashed. It was a product defect, pure and simple, and the drone was replaced under warranty.
Warranty as in standard warranty or the extra DJI Care Refresh?

send a couple dozen donuts or a cookie tray to the supervisor with a thank you note to all. he'll probably put them in the breakroom with your note. maybe include a blow up of the pic of their facilities from above.

I finished and was returning home to land when all of a sudden, my drone took off toward the sewage plant and at 111 feet spun out of control and crashed
I'm surprised you aren't curious about what might have caused the incident or to know if it could have been prevented?
To get some understanding about it, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Glad to hear you got the drone back...sounds like the East Rockaway plant where you lost it...that was awesome that they helped you out...have you looked into the cause of the fly away?

Reactions: tlswift58
I'm surprised you aren't curious about what might have caused the incident or to know if it could have been prevented?
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
I am curious! I just downloaded the text fie through iTunes. Now I'm lookng for a free viewer program. I'm also filing out a DJI repair request hoping it's covered yunder warranty. I have a 2nd Mini 2 as backup just in case, so I'll be able to fly while waiting for the repair.

I am curious! I just downloaded the text fie through iTunes. Now I'm looking for a free viewer program.
Try the link in post #5
But post a link to the report it shows as some here can dig a lot deeper and interpret what actually happened from the data.

Glad to hear you got the drone back...sounds like the East Rockaway plant where you lost it...that was awesome that they helped you out...have you looked into the cause of the fly away?
That's exactly where it was Mark. 10 feet inside the wall!! I'm wondering if they have any anti-drone transmitters (2.4 and 5.8Mhtz)there? Post 911 its a very secure facility. I may go back with a frequency analyzer and stand outside the wall to see if there are any transmissions.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 16
I'm wondering if they have any anti-drone transmitters (2.4 and 5.8Mhtz)there?
That would be most unlikely and even if they did, that wouldn't cause the drone to fly away.
At worst, it would just swamp the control signal, causing RTH to be initiated.

Your data will probably remove the mystery and show what happened.

Here's the text file. It looks like as soon as it got to the wall, it failed and did a lot of flying around on the other side of the wall before crashing.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-07-22_[16-20-19].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Here's the text file. It looks like as soon as it got to the wall, it failed and did a lot of flying around on the other side of the wall before crashing.
You brought the drone back close to home and left it hovering 119 ft up for about 36 seconds and then took it higher and flew a little further away.
At 6:17 you pushed the right stick forward and flew further to the north.

At 6:58.5 the flight data shows many warning messages, the main one indicating that a motor was blocked, the drone rolled sharply to the right and pitched nose-up, started tumbling, spinning and losing altitude.

There was a fault that stopped one motor and everything went downhill from there.
There's no indication of the drone "flying away".
All flight up until the problem shows corresponding joystick inputs.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
You brought the drone back close to home and left it hovering 119 ft up for about 36 seconds and then took it higher and flew a little further away.
At 6:17 you pushed the right stick forward and flew further to the north.

At 6:58.5 the flight data shows many warning messages, the main one indicating that a motor was blocked, the drone rolled sharply to the right and pitched nose-up, started tumbling, spinning and losing altitude.

There was a fault that stopped one motor and everything went downhill from there.
There's no indication of the drone "flying away".
All flight up until the problem shows corresponding joystick inputs.
Thanks, what is other(8)? I wonder why a motor stopped. It was in VLOS. Why do you think the gyro initialization failed"? and aircraft kept restarting?
3 seconds later it switched to ATTI mode, and said 3/10 of a second later said GPS signal weak but it lists 19 satellites?

Thanks, what is other(8)? I wonder why a motor stopped. It was in VLOS. Why do you think the gyro initialization failed"? and aircraft kept restarting?
3 seconds later it switched to ATTI mode, and said 3/10 of a second later said GPS signal weak but it lists 19 satellites?
Some sort of hardware fault is the likely cause of the motor problem.
Most of the other messages are because the drone was spinning and tumbling, causing loss of GPS reception.
Those messages don't have anything to do with the cause of the incident.

Hi Mark,

Download my txt file and save to your desktop.
go here, DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
answer the robot question, browse for the txt file you saved, upload it to this site and view the details plus a satellite view of the flight. Scroll down to the 6minute 58 seconds mark. It all hits the fan there!

WOW! that gives you some load of easy to read data ...thank you
Now to find out what caused the motor to stop...please let us know what DJI decides ..and good luck with that

WOW! that gives you some load of easy to read data ...thank you
That's just the start, there's a lot more to it.
Sar104 put something together about it here:

I live on the south shore of Long Island and the south of town is on the water. There is a triad of a marina/boat ramp, a golf course and a huge 20 acre sewage treatment plant.

I was on flight #178 with a Mini 2 at the marina filming a friend launching his new boat at the boat ramp. I finished and was returning home to land when all of a sudden, my drone took off toward the sewage plant and at 111 feet spun out of control and crashed just on the other side of a 2 foot thick, 15 foot high concrete wall erected around the plant after it was ravaged by high tides in 2012 by hurricane Sandy. There is still major construction happening with bulldozers, cranes, backhoes, etc.

I thought, “that’s it, it’s long gone, they’ll never let me search for it inside the high security compound.” But I decided with nothing to lose… why not ask, drove to the main security gate and mentioned what happened. They called a supervisor over in a colored vest and hard hat and I showed him the flight path on my iPad and that it crashed just on the other side of the wall in the southwestern most corner of the facility. The guy seemed fascinated! We drove in my truck through the whole facility to that area and for an hour we looked everywhere, climbed to the roof of 3 different 4 story buildings, etc. The last photo received was of my drone on top of some bright yellow rolled hose so we kept looking for that, but to no avail. He was obsessed with figuring out where that yellow hose could be… (see photo)

He asked for my info, took a screenshot of the yellow hose from my iPad and said he was going to e-mail everyone at the facility asking, “who knows where this hose is?”. I left figuring that was the end of that.

Two hours later he calls me saying, “we found your drone, come and get it, you won’t believe where it was”. One of the last images I saw before it crashed was a square white street sweeper cleaning along the perimeter of the property just inside the wall near where my drone crashed. (bottom left in photo) It ends up my mini 2 came spiraling in and hit his windshield. He got out, picked it up, and put it in the back of his sweeper on the yellow hose used to fill his tank from a fire hydrant. The only damage was a broken right front motor arm and some broken props which I can replace for $24.00 on amazon. But the most amazing part was the eagerness of everyone at the facility to help me find my drone. They could have just as easily said, “Look this is a secure facility with 100 construction workers operating all kinds of heavy equipment. We don’t have time to help you.” Instead, they really went above and beyond anything I could have imagined.
Awesome story Luckyguy9. Thanks for sharing. Yes the supervisor would appreciate cookies, or other, and might even benefit you if it ever happens again. :)

Love that story. I'll bet there are a lot of cool people like that guy from security if approached correctly like you obviously did. congratulations! you're a great ambassador for our hobby.

Reactions: Luckyguy9

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM