DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at cruise destinations?

I just returned from a Carnival cruise to the Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. I had the Mavic fly more combo and accessories in a backpack. No problems getting through the airports. Upon boarding the ship, I sent my backpack through the x-ray and the security person grabbed it as it came out the other end and ran it back through. It came out and I picked it up and proceeded on my way. It went with me at every port of call and was x-rayed upon re-boarding each time without incident. No problems at all. The beach at Puerto Rico was close to the airport and the Mavic controller said NFZ Limit but let me fly anyway.

We just came back from Costa Rica, brought the Mavic on this trip. Going thru TSA's security checkpoint and re-entering the country thru Customs was uneventful. When entering CR and leaving the country no one mentioned anything about the drone in my back pack, went thru the x-ray machine just fine. If anything, my wife's purse drew TSA's attention and had to be hand searched.

Needless to say, brought a ton of video and pictures from this trip and working on putting together video footage for friends and family.
Ditto, went to Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta, zippo issues with drone backpack mavic style ;)

For you guys that have the drone taken and returned as you board and debark, how are you charging the batteries?

Remove them all before boarding and bring them back to the room separately?

All this almost makes it not worth the hassle... It's sad.

The only reason they are concerned about what you bring on board the ship is BOOZE !, plain and simple!.
They do not want you to bring alcohol on the ship, so you are in a captive market buying the drinks on ship !!
I've found a way around that. Just buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol.....poor it out and fill with vodka, and put it in your checked luggage. I've done it multiple times. Works like a charm.

Reactions: Thwyllo
Heading on a Carnival cruise in July. I want to take a Mavic with us and shoot some video at our destination ports. Is there a website or has someone done any research on the rules and regulations for this?
There's lots of drone video posted for vacationing in other countries but I haven't seen anything posted about ports, stationary cruise ships, and cruise destinations.
Ports of call:
Grand Turk
San Juan
St Kitts
St. Maarten

Thanks in advance.
You will need to get clearance from each country you will be entering. In the Bahamas, you need permission to bring the drone into the country and you need permission from their Aviation Agency to fly it. Each country is different. Getting permission from the Cruise line is only the 1st step.

In Australia they are on the restricted list more often than not, check with your cruise line company first.

Source; I handle baggage during and after it's cleared security checks at the docks

Reactions: dewster
Carnival will let you keep them in your Cabin. Holland America, despite being owned by Carnival, will confiscate and hold them. Got that info from HA customer service two days ago.
they hold them the whole time or give them back at your port everytime?

I literally just went on the same cruise with Carnival on the "Sunshine." I had no issues with the Mavic, and I had it with me on every port.

One thing to keep in mind Grand Turk is a "no fly zone" right off the ship, so you will have to venture away from the ship to fly it. Luckily an excursion went to the other side of the island and I flew there.

I didn't fly it in Puerto Rico, so I can't comment on that location at all in regards to no fly zones.

St. Maarten and St. Kitts was SUPER windy. I was flying the Mavic at a beach at St. Kitts and almost had an issue where it would not make it back in time because the wind was so strong. Pay attention to the wind before venturing too far. Grand Turk was amazing and calm when flying but then St. Kitts was a lot worse. I don't know if its because of location or just my luck with the weather.

Also near the port at St. Maarteen there was planes and also helicopters, so be careful if you fly there. I'd honestly say my favorite and most beautiful spot was Grand Turk, far away from the ship.

I have some footage from Grand Turk and Sint Maarten in this video :

That's a great video! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I know exactly what you're talking about with the wind. I just ran into the same type of thing. Mine was 2 miles short to where I was due to the strong wind. Fortunately I was able to find it as it safely landed. But flying in 40+ MPH winds is really frustrating/scary if you fly too far away.

I literally just went on the same cruise with Carnival on the "Sunshine." I had no issues with the Mavic, and I had it with me on every port.

One thing to keep in mind Grand Turk is a "no fly zone" right off the ship, so you will have to venture away from the ship to fly it. Luckily an excursion went to the other side of the island and I flew there.

I didn't fly it in Puerto Rico, so I can't comment on that location at all in regards to no fly zones.

St. Maarten and St. Kitts was SUPER windy. I was flying the Mavic at a beach at St. Kitts and almost had an issue where it would not make it back in time because the wind was so strong. Pay attention to the wind before venturing too far. Grand Turk was amazing and calm when flying but then St. Kitts was a lot worse. I don't know if its because of location or just my luck with the weather.

Also near the port at St. Maarteen there was planes and also helicopters, so be careful if you fly there. I'd honestly say my favorite and most beautiful spot was Grand Turk, far away from the ship.

I have some footage from Grand Turk and Sint Maarten in this video :

In most Caribbean Islands, its usually calm early in the morning, and the winds pick up around 11 am.....Especially here in the Dominican Republic but this is true for many islands.

I don't understand how my post, which listed an emailed response from RC, is posting only what I want to hear..

Also, I received another email from RC this evening. This time the more generic response to the initial email I sent over a week ago.

"Thank you for your email and for this opportunity to be of service by answering any questions you may have. Please accept our apologies for the delay in response.

Guests may bring their drones onboard for storage during the cruise. Drones will be confiscated at the gangway and released to guests in once in a port-of-call only on the understanding they are fully liable to comply with local regulations and operate them legally in that port-of-call. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to acquire permission from each of the countries where the ship will be docking before the drone is released back to their possession."

Note the last part where is also says something about it being my responsibility to get permission from the countries..

So now I have two emails saying that I can bring it. Here is the list of ports with restrictions I received from Ryno my onboard concierge..

"St. Thomas: Note that they cannot be flown by the dock area for security and because of the close proximity to the airport. For other areas see attachment.

St. Kitts: Please be advised that drones are not allowed to be operated while in port.

Aruba: Guests are allowed to make use of their drone to a certain extent. They can fly it anywhere on the island with the exception of within the vicinity of the airport and the ports where cruise or cargo ship will be docked. We have 3 restricted areas; the airport and two ports one for cruise vessels and one for cargo vessels. Mandatory they have to maintain a 1 mile radius distance from these areas. If by any chance they do come within this area the drone will be confiscated and a fine will be imposed on their part. As per the officials at customs we have been told they do allow drones to be used by guest after they have cleared it. From the ships side a list of guest in possession of a drone should be provided to us in advance together with each drone’s information such as brand, model and serial number. We would appreciate to receive this list at earliest possible in order to have it stamped and singed by customs officials.

Curacao: As below must be sent to Customs / Tele Communication - Pots / Aviation and Curacao Ports Authority. They require specification of the drone in order to inform them to receive approval. Letter with details of drone must be sent with pre arrival information"

Hope this is informative, my take on all this is just to ask and see why they say, who knows they might say yes..

I hope I'm not just posting only what I want to hear..

Interesting point regarding the pre written and pre authorized list with drone details

I've found a way around that. Just buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol.....poor it out and fill with vodka, and put it in your checked luggage. I've done it multiple times. Works like a charm.

Or buy “rum runners” off of amazon lol

I called carnival and they said that i cant have a drone that has a detached camera. They said is because of US customs. Why?? Any tips? How to get around this? I have a 3dr solo and dont want it confiscated. Im going on a 4 day cruise from long beach on carnival inspiration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400