DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying by a POI while keeping it centred in the frame

Hi,
Tap to fly free is supposed to be the replacement for course lock but I found it to be hit and miss, with some practise however I have managed to quit successfully do this completely freehand by moving both sticks outward very slightly in tripod mode and keeping the sticks within the inner circle of their movement, once you get used to it it’s quite amazing, just worth a try, good luck

Doing this in Litchi - or any automated PAN - has shown to be JERKY - (Few threads on this)

The opportunities CONSTANTLY Popup to shoot this shot - and then setting up a course lock, tapfly etc - may miss the Moment.

The BEST way to do this is to practise this in a Manual flight -

… ALSO it must be Practised in FIRST PERSON VIEW- (In my opinion the ONLY way to fly)
- like looking out a cockpit window in the drone- (being previously a helicopter Pilot I learned these skills).

1) Panning past a Subject Laterally - 1a) Both sticks are slowly pulled apart - or 1b)Pulled together - depending on which way.
2) … to 2a)encroach the subject, slowly push the RIght stick forward to the 45 deg position - while doing 1a or 1b above.
… to 2b) leave the subject, while panning - slowly Pull the RIght stick BACK to the 45 deg (corner)position - while doing 1a or 1b above.

3) The trick is to remember that while PANNING, the subject WILL go higher (furthest away) or LOWER (closest) in the Frame - so your left forefinger MUST be on the gimbal tilt-. Setting the tilt to super slow will be the best option here - as JUST a JAB at it may tilt to the right spot - with little adjustment.

SEE the video Below for a 20second DEMO of a FlyBy - (Note the Joysticks and Gimbal)

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthGADronePilot
3) The trick is to remember that while PANNING, the subject WILL go higher (furthest away) or LOWER (closest) in the Frame - so your left forefinger MUST be on the gimbal tilt-. Setting the tilt to super slow will be the best option here - as JUST a JAB at it may tilt to the right spot - with little adjustment.

What are you adjusting for " Setting the tilt to super slow will be the best option here"?

Thanks for all your helpful replies. Tried the Spotlight mode today which was incredibly slow (5 kph) but upon some research that seems to be connected to EXP settings. I'll try again with reset EXP settings.

Tap Fly Free is not bad but I am (with my somewhat limited experience) not able to get a smooth video out of it, it's always kind of jerky. Of course practice will help there...

Haven't tried Litchi, but from what I've read they have similar problems with the jerkiness when flying by a subject and turning. It's a pity since the drone obviously is capable of doing it yet somehow there is no easy way to get it done...

So I tried the Spotlight mode but that does not give a completely straight line either. I for my part do not have/use Litchi, does the Course Lock in Litchi allow me to fix the camera to a POI while flying a straigth line parallel to it without giving me a jerky movement? that would be what I originally wanted to achieve.

Rockowe's lateral FlyBy looks great but would be cool to have a straight line and have it automated.

No, course lock in Litchi is like the old course lock in DJI GO. It locks the course and lets you move the craft in any direction while the course continues straight, but the craft orientation is still completely manual.

There are other intelligent flight modes in Litchi that might do what you need though.

Chris

HERE you go !

I launched Mavic 2 to test Course Lock on LITCHI -

Was surprisingly Good !

U just need to be easy on the Left Turn stick - Also if You are High it may involve some Pitch Control
This Video - Shows a Few Optional Ways I tried - your Project-

Reactions: NorthGADronePilot
Doing this in Litchi - or any automated PAN - has shown to be JERKY - (Few threads on this)

You're absolutely correct. It should be as smooth as silk (like it was with the original Mavic), but with Mavic 2, the only way to do it with professional quality is as you've described. It's a real shame that DJI regressed on such an important, elemental "skill" with the Mavic 2 and still fails to do anything about it.

This is an example of 'Course Lock' using the Go4 IF mode on my Mavic Pro Platinum. It does take a lot of practice to get a smooth pan - but at least the feature allows you to fly the track at a constant speed. It's a shame that you need Litchi to do this on a Mavic 2 Pro, as I find this is one of the best IF modes.

This is an example of 'Course Lock' using the Go4 IF mode on my Mavic Pro Platinum. It does take a lot of practice to get a smooth pan - but at least the feature allows you to fly the track at a constant speed. It's a shame that you need Litchi to do this on a Mavic 2 Pro, as I find this is one of the best IF modes.

It is not a matter of needing Litchi for smooth panning. The M2 does not have Course Lock. One can get much the same result using DJI Tapfly and manual panning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes