DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from car

Tshred57

Reactions
Hi folks - question... I've seen several people from colder weather areas talking about flying their Mavics from their cars. Just wondering how exactly that's done - can you actually close the door and not worry about magnetic interference? Was in Pittsburgh, PA over the weekend and it was 0 degrees F - my son and I lasted about 5 minutes outside, but if flying from inside a car is possible, it'd open up some possibilities. So, details, concerns? Thanks for any comments.

I've done it on a few occasions. Launch the Mavic from at least 25 feet from the car and record homepoint

Reactions: breid
Hi folks - question... I've seen several people from colder weather areas talking about flying their Mavics from their cars. Just wondering how exactly that's done - can you actually close the door and not worry about magnetic interference? Was in Pittsburgh, PA over the weekend and it was 0 degrees F - my son and I lasted about 5 minutes outside, but if flying from inside a car is possible, it'd open up some possibilities. So, details, concerns? Thanks for any comments.

Here's one of many ways to do it:

You don't need an external aerial.
Also magnetic interference (might) affect the Mavic not the controller.
Flying mainly forwards with signal through windscreen, the range will still be measured in 1000s of feet.
If it's sunny you can see the phone better too.
The snag is reduced ability to see where it is so not suitable for all locations.

I've done it on a few occasions. Launch the Mavic from at least 25 feet from the car and record homepoint

Great. I have had interference when taking off close to my car, but once in the air it had no issues. May or may not affect homepoint (but I never use RTH).

Great. I have had interference when taking off close to my car, but once in the air it had no issues. May or may not affect homepoint (but I never use RTH).
Yeah I use RTH all the time...too lazy to navigate back home

Reactions: Tshred57
You don't need an external aerial.
Also magnetic interference (might) affect the Mavic not the controller.
Flying mainly forwards with signal through windscreen, the range will still be measured in 1000s of feet.
If it's sunny you can see the phone better too.
The snag is reduced ability to see where it is so not suitable for all locations.

Very helpful. Thanks!

I've also done it with stock setup (no antenna mods). I flew my Mavic while sitting in my Chevy Tahoe with doors and windows closed and air condition full blast during the summer time.

Reactions: CEDRIXXX
I've also done it with stock setup (no antenna mods). I flew my Mavic while sitting in my Chevy Tahoe with doors and windows closed and air condition full blast during the summer time.

I'm gonna try it somewhere safe. Seems doing so would be pretty inconspicuous (not that the Mavic draws that much attention anyway).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast