DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Navy Pier Chicago Illegal to Fly? I got assaulted there for not showing my ID to a security guard there.

AtortPhotography

Reactions
I was flying in Chicago the other evening for Sunset. I am a licensed 107 pilot as well. I was parked at Navy Pier off to the side since really empty practically closed for Winter. I was approached by a Navy Pier security guard. He said I cannot fly here and to land my drone. I said sure no problem and landed. Once I landed I was about to walk back to my car which was just 30 feet away or so and he said he needed to take a picture of my drone and my ID. I have talked to Greg at Pilot Institute and others and they said I am not legally needing to show my ID to anyone for something like this. So of course I said legally I do not need to show you my ID. Instantly he got belligerent and aggressive and physical and started chest bumping me hard pushing me back to my car. I asked him many times not to touch me and why he was doing this and he just would not stop. I knew I was dealing with some rogue security guard and made me extremely nervous. He was pushing me and grabbing on me and being very hands on no matter how many times I said to not touch me. It was very scary and I never laid hands on him he touched me first 100%.

It got to the point where he was blocking my car door and not letting me inside my own car which I have on video. I also have on video him telling me it's illegal to fly there. I had to finally push him out of the way to gain access to my car. He was illegally detaining me essentially and was really scary not knowing what this guy was going to do since he kept getting more angry and aggressive. Mind you I had no weapons....was polite....landed my drone the second he asked....and simply wanted to leave the property which really is the only thing that I technically I should not have been doing is parked where I was. I did not record the beginning part only because my phone was in my car and was flying my Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller. I finally was able to get my iPhone by unlocking the passenger door quickly. Once I got in my car he tried to rip my phone out of my hands while I was recording or trying to....he actually reached for my car keys out of the ignition and then tried to rip me out of my car by pulling on me and yanking my leg. This is when I had to enable fight or flight mode and put my car in drive and drove off and was really traumatizing to know this ALL happened because I was out flying my drone and would not show an ID. I was not committing any crimes and he was a security guard and from my understanding are NOT to touch you or get physical with you. I called Navy Pier and they even confirmed this.

I have video of him trying to take my keys out of my ignition too and also pulling on my leg before I decided the best thing for my safety was to drive away and get out of there as fast as I can. Traumatizing 100%! And my concern is that this does not happen to anyone ever when flying their drones let alone when remote ID becomes a thing later this year.

I know the airspace is clear at Navy Pier despite what they want to say regarding homeland security and all that nonsense. It's class G airspace period and safe on all the apps to fly.

I just don't know what to do. I did file a police report and tempted to make a video on this showing the video, but really is causing me undue stress and anxiety as it is so not sure.

Be safe out there and invest in a body cam 190% believe me it's worth it. I could have shown this guy pushing me from the start and getting physical with me. I told Navy Pier to pull the footage and it would show them he was pushing me and got physical first. Of course I have not heard back from them.

Absolutely file a police report. They will probably find a way to make it your fault, but maybe not. Even if you were launching/landing in violation of Navy Pier rules (or maybe there is no rule, I have no idea), they can just ask you to leave and, at most, call the actual police to come and cite you for trespassing. But since you left (or attempted to leave) when originally asked, I don't believe the actual police would have any grounds to actually cite you for anything.

I was flying in Chicago the other evening for Sunset. I am a licensed 107 pilot as well. I was parked at Navy Pier off to the side since really empty practically closed for Winter. I was approached by a Navy Pier security guard. He said I cannot fly here and to land my drone. I said sure no problem and landed. Once I landed I was about to walk back to my car which was just 30 feet away or so and he said he needed to take a picture of my drone and my ID. I have talked to Greg at Pilot Institute and others and they said I am not legally needing to show my ID to anyone for something like this. So of course I said legally I do not need to show you my ID. Instantly he got belligerent and aggressive and physical and started chest bumping me hard pushing me back to my car. I asked him many times not to touch me and why he was doing this and he just would not stop. I knew I was dealing with some rogue security guard and made me extremely nervous. He was pushing me and grabbing on me and being very hands on no matter how many times I said to not touch me. It was very scary and I never laid hands on him he touched me first 100%.

It got to the point where he was blocking my car door and not letting me inside my own car which I have on video. I also have on video him telling me it's illegal to fly there. I had to finally push him out of the way to gain access to my car. He was illegally detaining me essentially and was really scary not knowing what this guy was going to do since he kept getting more angry and aggressive. Mind you I had no weapons....was polite....landed my drone the second he asked....and simply wanted to leave the property which really is the only thing that I technically I should not have been doing is parked where I was. I did not record the beginning part only because my phone was in my car and was flying my Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller. I finally was able to get my iPhone by unlocking the passenger door quickly. Once I got in my car he tried to rip my phone out of my hands while I was recording or trying to....he actually reached for my car keys out of the ignition and then tried to rip me out of my car by pulling on me and yanking my leg. This is when I had to enable fight or flight mode and put my car in drive and drove off and was really traumatizing to know this ALL happened because I was out flying my drone and would not show an ID. I was not committing any crimes and he was a security guard and from my understanding are NOT to touch you or get physical with you. I called Navy Pier and they even confirmed this.

I have video of him trying to take my keys out of my ignition too and also pulling on my leg before I decided the best thing for my safety was to drive away and get out of there as fast as I can. Traumatizing 100%! And my concern is that this does not happen to anyone ever when flying their drones let alone when remote ID becomes a thing later this year.

I know the airspace is clear at Navy Pier despite what they want to say regarding homeland security and all that nonsense. It's class G airspace period and safe on all the apps to fly.

I just don't know what to do. I did file a police report and tempted to make a video on this showing the video, but really is causing me undue stress and anxiety as it is so not sure.

Be safe out there and invest in a body cam 190% believe me it's worth it. I could have shown this guy pushing me from the start and getting physical with me. I told Navy Pier to pull the footage and it would show them he was pushing me and got physical first. Of course I have not heard back from them.
Wow, what a story. It's a good thing you have it on video as the video doesn't lie. Keep us apprised to what happens

Wow, what a story. It's a good thing you have it on video as the video doesn't lie. Keep us apprised to what happens
I just need to know 100% if it’s illegal or legal to fly there I can’t imagine it being illegal. Not allowed maybe on their property but illegal I highly doubt.

Reactions: Octavio
I just need to know 100% if it’s illegal or legal to fly there I can’t imagine it being illegal. Not allowed maybe on their property but illegal I highly doubt.
Depends on where you launched and landed. If the airspace is Class G then you're ok. But if you launched from private property then they can ask you to leave.

Looks like you definitely cannot launch/land from Navy Pier property, but looking at the FAA's maps there are no restrictions on flying over/in the vicinity of it.

Navy Pier is committed to providing an enjoyable experience for all guests.

RULES

While visiting Navy Pier, the following general activities will not be accepted:
  • Violations of the law
  • Any activity that threatens the safety of our guests, tenants and/or employees
  • Any activity that threatens the operations of Navy Pier, or well being of the property
  • Any activity that would disrupt the legitimate business of Navy Pier and its tenants
  • Any unauthorized water entry
  • For the safety of all our guests, bicycle riding is prohibited on the South Dock and East End Plaza
  • Smoking, except in authorized places

EXAMPLES

Specific activities that are not permitted include, but are not limited to:
  • Disruptive profanity, vulgar or threatening language or unpermitted amplified sound
  • Unnecessarily blocking walkways, roadways or store fronts
  • Soliciting, littering or excessive loitering
  • Operating unauthorized recreational and/or personal transportation devices (skateboarding, segways)
  • Horseplay or disorderly conduct of any nature
  • Unleashed dogs or exotic pets
  • Illegal weapons
  • Commercial photography without permission
  • Operating an unmanned aerial vehicle (i.e. drone)

@BobaFuct seems to have answered your legal/illegal question.

I think you were very smart to be courteous to the security guard. Just curious why you didn't just show the guard your driver's license and ask what rule you were breaking.

Granted, the guard does remind me of the South Park character that was always saying, "You will respect my authority."

Reactions: Madmyke
Looks like you definitely cannot launch/land from Navy Pier property, but looking at the FAA's maps there are no restrictions on flying over/in the vicinity of it.

Navy Pier is committed to providing an enjoyable experience for all guests.

RULES

While visiting Navy Pier, the following general activities will not be accepted:
  • Violations of the law
  • Any activity that threatens the safety of our guests, tenants and/or employees
  • Any activity that threatens the operations of Navy Pier, or well being of the property
  • Any activity that would disrupt the legitimate business of Navy Pier and its tenants
  • Any unauthorized water entry
  • For the safety of all our guests, bicycle riding is prohibited on the South Dock and East End Plaza
  • Smoking, except in authorized places

EXAMPLES

Specific activities that are not permitted include, but are not limited to:
  • Disruptive profanity, vulgar or threatening language or unpermitted amplified sound
  • Unnecessarily blocking walkways, roadways or store fronts
  • Soliciting, littering or excessive loitering
  • Operating unauthorized recreational and/or personal transportation devices (skateboarding, segways)
  • Horseplay or disorderly conduct of any nature
  • Unleashed dogs or exotic pets
  • Illegal weapons
  • Commercial photography without permission
  • Operating an unmanned aerial vehicle (i.e. drone)
They can say what they want for rules like a botanic garden or any place like that, but illegal is another thing what I was doing wasn’t illegal. They may not allow on their property and can ask me to leave which I wish he would have let me do, but he became physical and crossed many lines. Imagine getting pushed all over because you were smoking on their property? Same thing.

I think you were very smart to be courteous to the security guard. Just curious why you didn't just show the guard your driver's license and ask what rule you were breaking.

Granted, the guard does remind me of the South Park character that was always saying, "You will respect my authority."
Because I don’t have to by law. I wasn’t committing any crimes. And the second he put his hands on me game changed into protecting myself.

You don't think the guard is a local law enforcement officer?

107.7 Inspection, testing, and demonstration of compliance.

(a) A remote pilot in command, owner, or person manipulating the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system must -
(1) Have in that person's physical possession and readily accessible the remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification when exercising the privileges of that remote pilot certificate.
(2) Present his or her remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification that contains the information listed at § 107.67(b)(1) through (3) for inspection upon a request from -
(i) The Administrator;
(ii) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;
(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or
(iv) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.
(3) Make available, upon request, to the Administrator any document, record, or report required to be kept under the regulations of this chapter.

You don't think the guard is a local law enforcement officer?…
(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer
No, a private security guard is not a law enforcement officer. Despite its name Navy Pier is not a government installation, it is a private amusement park run by a nonprofit.

Last edited:
No, a private security guard is not a law enforcement office. Despite its name Navy Pier is not a government installation, it is a private amusement park run by a nonprofit.
yeah i would think he was just regular security aka rent a cop. Like the ones you see patrolling the parking lots in malls and such.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg and JTZ
They can say what they want for rules like a botanic garden or any place like that, but illegal is another thing what I was doing wasn’t illegal. They may not allow on their property and can ask me to leave which I wish he would have let me do, but he became physical and crossed many lines. Imagine getting pushed all over because you were smoking on their property? Same thing.
Yeah for sure. I was just showing that the guard had a legitimate basis for asking you to stop flying. But that and calling the real police if you didn't comply is literally all he would be entitled to do. His behavior seems to at least be misdemeanor assault.

I would definitely hire a very aggressive lawyer and sue his a.. off.

Dale

No, a private security guard is not a law enforcement officer. Despite its name Navy Pier is not a government installation, it is a private amusement park run by a nonprofit.
I agree with that although I would have probably shown my ID so as not to escalate the situation (but that's a personal choice for sure).

It was the statement, "I have talked to Greg at Pilot Institute and others and they said I am not legally needing to show my ID to anyone for something like this." that prompted my comment.

Sounds like you were dealing with real AH....being a career
law enforcement officer (32) years I can tell you that he had no right to put his hands on you!
I don't care what kind of security guard he was! If I was you I would take this further and get his *** fired. It's idiots like him that make it tough for the good security guards and police officers doining the right thing.

Sounds like you were dealing with real AH....being a career
law enforcement officer (32) years I can tell you that he had no right to put his hands on you!
I don't care what kind of security guard he was! If I was you I would take this further and get his *** fired. It's idiots like him that make it tough for the good security guards and police officers doining the right thing.
By your bringing an action of assault on this jerk, it will make him think twice before doing it again to others.

I would advise you to get a Lawyer and if you have his face, so much the better! I used to work right across the slip at the Water Filtration Plant and I used to fly there!

First of all, NO. You don't show your ID to any Barney Fife wannabe cop security guard. You don't know who they are or if they are really security guards. You don't even have to show it to the cops in many cases unless they can tell you that you are committing a crime and what that crime is. Yes, he was in violation of the pier rules, and being informed of that was sufficient. The fact that Barney actually laid hands on him is assault and battery and you should have called the cops IMMEDIATELY. Security guards are not cops. The fact that he not only threatened and physically accosted him, but Barney also blocked his ability to get in his car and leave. That's UNLAWFUL restraint as well. Since he has a video I would 100% go to the police and file a complaint. Trespassing is usually only cited if you refuse to leave, which he did not. Me? I would have called the cops the second I was off pier property.

The best is to get in contact with the Community-Based Organization. (CBO) is an FAA-recognized group that promotes recreational flying and provides safety guidelines to its members. CBO requires recreational flyers to follow the safety guidelines of a CBO.
CBOs have specific requirements that must be met for official recognition from the FAA. A listing of recognized CBOs can be found on the FAA’s website.
Personally, I would fly around Chicago Navy Pier instead of flying over to avoid flying over roads and people.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_