DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you experienced a Karen, male or female?

Was you kaaren Male Or female?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be really annoyed too if some drone were buzzing around me like an irritating mosquito. That kind of flying is just asking for trouble, IMHO.

Reactions: Cafguy and Torque
That's okay with you? You seem rather unconcerned, instead bothered more by the response of the guy that had the drone flown at him.
What makes you say that! As far as I am concerned they are BOTH in the Wrong! If someone flies over or directly at me with their drone I will ask them to stop I will not approach and start screaming at them. I have a concealed carry permit and while I hope to never use it, It is not a good idea to run up to me screaming like a lunatic with a guitar in your hand..Just sayin.
I will fly my 80 gram Whoop in a busy park- Not close to people but I will. 80 grams hitting you will only hurt for a second I do it to myself all the time. I do not condone flying anything much heavier than that around to many people and especially not a freestyle Those props HURT!
As stated above I don't know what flew over the man perhaps it was a big 7" long range OR perhaps it was a 50 Gram SpeedyBee and while annoying - will not hurt the man a bit if it hits him.
My concern is for the grossly ignorant actions of BOTH parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Dumped FaceBook a long time ago. It's a breeding ground for character defects and psychos.
same here. Facebook is full of insane folks. I dumped all my accts except one that is anonymous.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Last fall I found a clearing to launch my Mavic Pro v1 to capture the beautiful leaves and venture over the trees to the lake. Went straight up to 150'. Started video and was getting some great video when I heard a car door slam behind me. Karen started yelling that I can't fly that thing here and take pictures of our children. I looked around...no one in sight.. I know the area. I asked her if they were up in the trees? The two of us were alone.
I did not offer the the facts of flying drones. Not worth it.
I think the problem may be that these Karens have heard about the perverts with drones and think we are all the same.
I mean this has happened to me taking pictures of birds in a public park. Crazy people are crazy.

I mean this has happened to me taking pictures of birds in a public park. Crazy people are crazy.
That's interesting. I was flying on a public beach and flew over a rather large flock of resting gulls. The drone scared them , they took flight and landed at the same spot several seconds later. But a ken and Karen couple approached me and told me I shouldn't fly that close birds and scare them, They said the birds get too tired and stressed out. I was like whatever, but showed remorse and apologized, just to placate the ken and Karen. I later landed my drone and left. I didn't need some "know it all" public servant bothering me too. There is always tomorrow.

That's interesting. I was flying on a public beach and flew over a rather large flock of resting gulls. The drone scared them , they took flight and landed at the same spot several seconds later. But a ken and Karen couple approached me and told me I shouldn't fly that close birds and scare them, They said the birds get too tired and stressed out. I was like whatever, but showed remorse and apologized, just to placate the ken and Karen. I later landed my drone and left. I didn't need some "know it all" public servant bothering me too. There is always tomorrow.
Being a drone operator,and also a birder they were right in what they told you in this instance.
So as much as I hate to say this to you this was not a Ken & Karen couple,just two people that
happen to know something about bird habits.If I ever encountered resting birds with my drone
it was from a high enough altitude as in almost the legal height limit so they are not bothered.

Being a drone operator,and also a birder they were right in what they told you in this instance.
So as much as I hate to say this to you this was not a Ken & Karen couple,just two people that
happen to know something about bird habits.If I ever encountered resting birds with my drone
it was from a high enough altitude as in almost the legal height limit so they are not bothered.
Living in WI, you probably know this. Geese cross the street and they take their time. In the car, do you slowly push thru? When they pause, do you coax them? If you see a small opening, do you "intrude" and break the line?

If I am flying in a open area and I spot a bunch of field geese, I turn away. But you can't always see them below and I'm sure I've buzzed them before because I fly mostly lower than higher with my FPV and it makes a lot of noise.

When I come in for a landing, I saw a large V-flock literally change course to avoid me and this is after I paused and hovered to wait for them to pass.

My point is even if they knew, it probably wasn't a good idea to approach someone about it.

I was flying on a public beach and flew over a rather large flock of resting gulls. The drone scared them , they took flight and landed at the same spot several seconds later. But a ken and Karen couple approached me and told me I shouldn't fly that close birds and scare them, They said the birds get too tired and stressed out.
What I'd like to know is that if the people who approached @StevenBrodsky would have done the same thing for parents of a toddler who ran around the beach chasing the birds. That would tell me something about whether their concern was really about the birds or about the drone.

What I'd like to know is that if the people who approached @StevenBrodsky would have done the same thing for parents of a toddler who ran around the beach chasing the birds. That would tell me something about whether their concern was really about the birds or about the drone.

Hmm. This may indeed say something about me, but I will admit to holding adults flying drones to a higher standard than toddlers.

Hmm. This may indeed say something about me, but I will admit to holding adults flying drones to a higher standard than toddlers.
Ah, but I didn't ask if they chastised the toddler, I asked if they chastised the parents of the toddler. If the objection is truly to disturbance of the birds, then IMHO one would expect them to address the issue regardless of why it's happening. Otherwise, there's a double standard at play.

My opinion:
  1. The laws on the books to protect wildlife (land and sea) from various forms of tourist harassment are, with a few exceptions righteous and I'm glad they're on the books.
  2. The beliefs and behavior by most concerned people about wildlife harassment are way over the top, hysterical, and complete fantasy about how having a drone flying around or a boat motoring near by affects these animals. They are hardly as delicate as portrayed, and deal with far greater stressors and anxiety all day long. Like not getting attacked or eaten.

I can't even fly within 600 feet of an Orca here in the Puget Sound! I would be much closer when I even spot one on my screen. I'd have to retreat quickly. Now that is as upsetting to me as the inability to fly in the Grand Canyon is to mavic3USA! Why cant I fly 200-400 ft above the water and film whales? Off at an angle often doesn't work because of the glare on the water. There was a drone pilot several years ago who faced some hefty fines for flying 200 ft from Orcas up in the San Juan Islands.

"In the United States, drones must be kept at least: 100 yards from whales (except the specific species below) and at least 50 yards away from dolphins, porpoises, seals, and sea lions. 100 yards from humpback whales in Hawaiian and Alaskan waters. 200 yards away from killer whales in Washington State inland waters."

Ah, but I didn't ask if they chastised the toddler, I asked if they chastised the parents of the toddler. If the objection is truly to disturbance of the birds, then IMHO one would expect them to address the issue regardless of why it's happening. Otherwise, there's a double standard at play.
Continuing with the imagined case you posed where the burdened drone pilot is held accountable for bird annoyance while parents of noisy toddler get away Scot-free...

If the parents of the bird-harassing toddler had sent the toddler down the beach toward the birds and used a DJI Toddler Director Pro to control it's path, speed, and arm waving, then yes, they definitely deserve an equal serving of polite comment.

(Yeah, it's too cold to be out flying so I'm here looking for knowledge and amusement on the computer. Also putting off digging up the stump of that big dead bush so Linda can plant something worthwhile in its place.)

I can't even fly within 600 feet of an Orca here in the Puget Sound! I would be much closer when I even spot one on my screen. I'd have to retreat quickly. Now that is as upsetting to me as the inability to fly in the Grand Canyon is to mavic3USA! Why cant I fly 200-400 ft above the water and film whales? Off at an angle often doesn't work because of the glare on the water. There was a drone pilot several years ago who faced some hefty fines for flying 200 ft from Orcas up in the San Juan Islands.

"In the United States, drones must be kept at least: 100 yards from whales (except the specific species below) and at least 50 yards away from dolphins, porpoises, seals, and sea lions. 100 yards from humpback whales in Hawaiian and Alaskan waters. 200 yards away from killer whales in Washington State inland waters."

Enough said. It's time to close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman