DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Australia

Geo

Reactions
Went on an Australian cruise and brought my Mavic. I'm in my 60's, so I guess people see me as an old coot. Between New Zealand and Australia no one ever bothered me about my drone. I was always asked how I got it through customs, like it was a bar of uranium. I always just told them, Drones are not illegal. Some observations though.
As on oldster I was on many tour buses around the continent. Sometimes they stop for a 10-15 minute stop to look at a site. With the Mavic you go through a 5 minute setup before you can fly. Too much time if you are only going to be there 10 minutes. I was thinking, wish I had a Spark that I could just take out of a pocket and throw into the air to fly. Smaller footprint, so less noticeable as you fly away (I prefer to be almost invisible when I fly) . Don't own one so only speculating.

Birds at the beach were a huge problem. They would attack the drone constantly. I was lucky it never got knocked down, but it caused me to not do a lot of beachshots (over the water). Or I would come over the beach at 200 feet so as to avoid them. Tourists feed the birds so flocks of hungry seagulls are at every beach.

Drones are not allowed on cruise ships. Security would take my drone every time I got on the ship. They treated it very well and there was never a problem with this setup. It was always waiting for me on departure.

The Mavic performed flawlessly.

I wonder if the Spark is a better idea on trips? Don't own one so will never know. Got through 2 flying seasons with this Mavic. Has been flawless the entire time. 3 blades are originals.

So enjoy your drone as you travel the world.

I first got a Spark, to start with.
The size was great, because people saw it as a toy and never bothered me.

The mavic is obviously a much better product for pictures. And although the Spark was OK, there is no question that I can do a lot more with the Mavic 2.

Because, like you mentioned, the Spark was already with the props installed, I carry the Mavic with a case allowing me to keep the props in place. Same with the controller: the joystick stay in place as well, allowing me to send the Mavic in the same amount of time as the Spark.

Plus I do not have to deal with a wrong install of the props, or tear and wear on the attachments.

Just a thought....

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I first got a Spark, to start with.
The size was great, because people saw it as a toy and never bothered me.

The mavic is obviously a much better product for pictures. And although the Spark was OK, there is no question that I can do a lot more with the Mavic 2.

Because, like you mentioned, the Spark was already with the props installed, I carry the Mavic with a case allowing me to keep the props in place. Same with the controller: the joystick stay in place as well, allowing me to send the Mavic in the same amount of time as the Spark.

Plus I do not have to deal with a wrong install of the props, or tear and wear on the attachments.

Just a thought....
Thanks for that

I'm going on a cruise shortly and was thinking of taking my Spark with me, but the "no drones on board" rule put me off. might inquire about having it stored while onboard. a PGYTech hard case holds everything for about 45 minutes photographic flight.

Went on an Australian cruise and brought my Mavic. I'm in my 60's, so I guess people see me as an old coot. Between New Zealand and Australia no one ever bothered me about my drone. I was always asked how I got it through customs, like it was a bar of uranium. I always just told them, Drones are not illegal. Some observations though.
As on oldster I was on many tour buses around the continent. Sometimes they stop for a 10-15 minute stop to look at a site. With the Mavic you go through a 5 minute setup before you can fly. Too much time if you are only going to be there 10 minutes. I was thinking, wish I had a Spark that I could just take out of a pocket and throw into the air to fly. Smaller footprint, so less noticeable as you fly away (I prefer to be almost invisible when I fly) . Don't own one so only speculating.

Birds at the beach were a huge problem. They would attack the drone constantly. I was lucky it never got knocked down, but it caused me to not do a lot of beachshots (over the water). Or I would come over the beach at 200 feet so as to avoid them. Tourists feed the birds so flocks of hungry seagulls are at every beach.

Drones are not allowed on cruise ships. Security would take my drone every time I got on the ship. They treated it very well and there was never a problem with this setup. It was always waiting for me on departure.

I wonder if the Spark is a better idea on trips? Don't own one so will never know. Got through 2 flying seasons with this Mavic. Has been flawless the entire time. 3 blades are originals.

Welcome to the forum![emoji16]

I'm going on a cruise shortly and was thinking of taking my Spark with me, but the "no drones on board" rule put me off. might inquire about having it stored while onboard. a PGYTech hard case holds everything for about 45 minutes photographic flight.
Did it put you off doing the cruise or just to not take your drone?

Firstly, welcome
ive also been mobbed by lots of different birds from little swallows up to raptors. Thankfully nothing has made contact (yet)

i always like to allow plenty of time to fly and being on a bus trip would be a nightmare

I don't know exactly which Mavic you have, but the brand new DJI Smart Controller, will be much faster to set up and fly than the one you have. If it works with your Mavic and you don't have a problem with the price, it could be your solution.

I don't know exactly which Mavic you have, but the brand new DJI Smart Controller, will be much faster to set up and fly than the one you have. If it works with your Mavic and you don't have a problem with the price, it could be your solution.
I do have a problem with the price. A lot of money for something I already have, more or less.

I wonder what they do when a customer shows up at boarding with a drone? Are you going to throw away a $1000 drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.