DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying in restricted zones

mcasella

Reactions
I do home roof inspections. how can I fly at a very low height less that 100 feet, in a restricted zone (airport ) landing zone. my dji app will not let me takeoff.

I do home roof inspections. how can I fly at a very low height less that 100 feet, in a restricted zone (airport ) landing zone. my dji app will not let me takeoff.

If this is in the US and you need to fly under Part 107 in controlled airspace then you use the LAANC system or apply for a waiver.

If you’re a professional user get your part 107. The LAANC system is an instant approval that will allow you to fly in most controlled airspace with limitations.

my dji app will not let me takeoff.

Off the top of my head, you have to request unlock access from DJI. I believe they're going to ask you for the access waiver number or something.

I believe this video explains the process.

Reactions: dawgpilot
And technically, if you are using this as a paid roof inspector, you should have Part 107 license anyway.

LAANC looks great but after visiting the FAA site and watching the video, I couldn't find the app in the app store. The video said (implied?) the app was in place. Anyone with directions on implementing LAANC?

LAANC looks great but after visiting the FAA site and watching the video, I couldn't find the app in the app store. The video said (implied?) the app was in place. Anyone with directions on implementing LAANC?

LAANC uses apps developed by the private sector. Probably the most popular one is AirMap, available for iOS and Android.

yes I have Airmap but have not used the LAANC function. Just got off tech support with DJI, the LAANC solution works for "Blue" airspace. If you need to fly "red" airspace (this is directly on a controlled airfield or on the property of other sensitive locations) you need written permission from local authorities(FAA for example) sent to DJI...then DJI will unlock your controller so your drone will launch.
I've never done this ....has anyone had success with this method?

If you’re a professional user get your part 107. The LAANC system is an instant approval that will allow you to fly in most controlled airspace with limitations.
LAANC is still not available at some smaller airports. Beverly Airport, Beverly MA has been posted on AirMap as, automated authorization coming soon, for months.

Having read all the replies so far, some humorous, some not..
I would suggest purchasing a cheap drone with camera ..i have a spare one cost me £78.uk..and i use it for this type of thing,saves a lot of hassle, and it wont refuse to fly...!! cos it aint that clever..just basically 10 minutes flight, but suits me when i need it for inspecting chimney stacks, outside vents etc.
Or go along with suggestions re; part 107..
Regards.
Tony.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1