DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the fog/clouds

I saved enough of the video to try to figure out if this guy is in the USA? I don’t think he is by the cars i can see! I don’t see any vehicles that you would normally only see in North America I’m trying to see the tag on one of the parked cars he didn’t blur everything out that can locate him, I used to work for a asset recovery firm knows as W.I.R.B in the NW USA I am still thinking like a repossession agent lol if I figure out where he is I will be sure to let everyone know here he might be a neighbor of yours?

I saved enough of the video to try to figure out if this guy is in the USA? I don’t think he is by the cars i can see! I don’t see any vehicles that you would normally only see in North America I’m trying to see the tag on one of the parked cars he didn’t blur everything out that can locate him, I used to work for a asset recovery firm knows as W.I.R.B in the NW USA I am still thinking like a repossession agent lol if I figure out where he is I will be sure to let everyone know here he might be a neighbor of yours?
if you look at his other videos it looks like he might be Aussie :( He's def in breach of our 120m rules, although at least it looks like he did this video in a rural area.just looking at his other vids, I think i can work out where he is based. and surprise! he seems very young. another one of his revhead car videos looks like it's Qld or NSW due to what looks like sugar cane, and another video he shot in central Qld which has a location in the title. he's probably not that hard to track down.

found it: he's from Bundaberg, Qld, Australia.

Last edited:
Reactions: saboken
back on topic, I flew in fog last week, just on my farm and it was very low hanging clouds/fog. the worst part was landing in the dirt and the Mavic was a bit wet and then covered in a fine layer of dust. ick. otherwise it's fine.

back on topic, I flew in fog last week, just on my farm and it was very low hanging clouds/fog. the worst part was landing in the dirt and the Mavic was a bit wet and then covered in a fine layer of dust. ick. otherwise it's fine.

I’m worried about dust and such get inside mine so I will be trying to only fly in as optimal circumstances as possible I’m glad I’m not near the ocean salt does strange things to electronics I had a laptop in a backpack when I road from Portland Oregon to Klamath falls Oregon and my sweat killed the laptop just from evaporation I disassembled the laptop and found a thin coating of salt on everything inside the housing. So lesson learned on that one it was unrepairable d

if you look at his other videos it looks like he might be Aussie :( He's def in breach of our 120m rules, although at least it looks like he did this video in a rural area.just looking at his other vids, I think i can work out where he is based. and surprise! he seems very young. another one of his revhead car videos looks like it's Qld or NSW due to what looks like sugar cane, and another video he shot in central Qld which has a location in the title. he's probably not that hard to track down.

found it: he's from Bundaberg, Qld, Australia.

At least what he does down under doesn’t affect us in the USA to that has actions won’t hurt or kill someone if his luck runs out! It’s still irresponsible no matter what side of the equator! I’m not familiar with the laws down there but I know they are a lot stricter on some things like vehicles. I hope he h
Gets shut down B4 something bad happens they need to take his toys away and ban him from every using them again.

At least what he does down under doesn’t affect us in the USA to that has actions won’t hurt or kill someone if his luck runs out! It’s still irresponsible no matter what side of the equator! I’m not familiar with the laws down there but I know they are a lot stricter on some things like vehicles. I hope he h
Gets shut down B4 something bad happens they need to take his toys away and ban him from every using them again.
he's in a rural area, and seems young, so probably doesn't take "the rules" seriously. but what's funny is that there are plenty of short distance, ie, lower flying, domestic planes, much of that area is a red no fly zone. and yeah, you guys keep running around with guns, despite what the rest of the modern world has done...... :p :p

Are you proud of this??
I’m neither proud or ashamed of this. I would never even attempt this in the first place, as I don’t want to lose my Mavic, nor am I dumb enough to have the sense to fly up that high in the first place.

Last edited:
So there seems to be some confusion here. I’m not the video owner, nor am I sanctioning the actions of this video. The sole purpose was to show how the Mavic handles clouds. BTW, the owner flew up 5000 m. Doing that in itself is not possible with the Mavic unless the owner hacked and jail broke the software.

You need to remember, this entire industry is democratizing flight for the masses for the first time and will appeal to a certain number of knuckleheads. Many of them will lose their aircraft or become bored and move on shortly.

The FAAs hands are tied with regard to promulgating rules for the hobbyists, but I’m not so sure that is the answer anyway.

I think the word is slowly but surely getting out, especially to those who do this for more than a week or two. It has become much less acceptable to be stupid, even in the last year or so, thanks to forums like this.

Don’t panic, things will improve, we just don’t want or need government knee jerk overreaction.

And that wouldn’t work anyway, as the only rule that works is the one that people are willing to comply with.

Unfortunately, in this case it will be unnatural selection. The drone operator won't get a scratch. If one of these idiots takes out a plane, or someone on the ground, he will be sitting home that night saying "Why?". For the others, it will be their parents, children, and spouses sitting home saying "Why?"

There could be a multitude of reasons why the Mavic is going through clouds. It could be low hanging, he could be on a mountain. Both of these possibilities doesn't necessarily mean he's climbing higher than 400 ft.

Flying through clouds and exceeding 400ft. are two totally different things. The regulations don't say keep in in visual line of sight unless you are on a mountain, or there are low hanging clouds. Part of the job of being a VFR pilot is to keep your eyes on the weather and avoid getting trapped. Not to say it couldn't happen, but in almost all cases, it would be avoidable.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
I can't help it, I just can't. I read this and all can think is.."Air force one? Ya, but if he actually took out the plane, I mean, for me at least, it would kinda be worth it." -HUMOR, Note: HUMOR
Till now the best comment in my opinion! :D

Was quite foggy here yesterday... Around lunch time, I heard the unmistakable sound of a Chinook flying round. Looking out of my front door, I could see it, I estimated it at only around 150' AGL. *Well below the other side of the valley) Taking a look at the direction it was flying, there was a bank of fog. He did a quick 180, and flew back where he'd come from.

No way would I be flying in fog, especially around my home.

When you get caught flying in the clouds, it will trigger anti-drone people to push restrictions on the rest of us.

Please stay 500 feet below clouds and 2000 feet horizontally away, for the sake of the rest of us.

1. I am fairly confident that taking off above the clouds, and remaining VFR on top and in Visual Line of Sight would be legal. But I don't understand why you think there should be no small aircraft traffic around a mountain.
2. Definitely check your applicable rules.
3. The reason for cloud clearance limits is also to give reaction time in case of a close encounter of the worst kind. When you exit a cloud in an aircraft, if someone is too close, you do not have time to maneuver around them. If they are maintaining proper clearance , you just may have time to save your life rather than have a mid-air.

But I am new to the drone world. I am not sure which FAA regs apply to hobbyist. But we can all use our better judgment to decide what is reasonable. Some people seem to want to brag about how high they have flown their drone. Most of them didn't design or build their drones. It almost seems like they are bragging about how long they can hold a joystick back with their thumb. That would not be a big bragging point in my world.
I'm pretty sure when They say to stay 500 feet below the clouds, being above the clouds is not 500 feet below.

Sorry, where is the 500' below clouds limits? New to drone world and I haven't seen that yet. I know for aircraft flying VFR there are above, below, and lateral limits. But I am not aware of anything for us other than remain in VLOS

I’m neither proud or ashamed of this. I would never even attempt this in the first place, as I don’t want to lose my Mavic, nor am I dumb enough to have the sense to fly up that high in the first place.
Sorry, I made the assumption that it was your video. My bad.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
aircraft flying VFR
FAA's definition:
An unmanned aircraft system (UAS), sometimes called a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot onboard – instead, the UAS is controlled from an operator on the ground.

So flying in any airspace (controlled or uncontrolled) i see following visual minima:
AlphabetAirspaceByFootFlyer.gif

The rule 500' below and 2000' from clouds is primarily an issue of VLOS and safety, It does not have a restriction for above the clouds with the exception you are now no longer in VLOS. If you are on a mountain top which is above the clouds when you launch, and you are maintaining VLOS, then you could fly over the clouds. You then have VLOS, and do not have to go through the clouds eliminating the moisture/condensation issues. As you are on a mountain, at that height, there should not be any air traffic within your VLOS distance around the mountain. But again, you are taking the risk, as their could be a small manned A/C flying where he/she shouldn't. Also, the cloud rule is in the US. If you live elsewhere, you would have to check your local rules. Do you agree 787Steve?

Well I wouldn’t agree, flown into Aspen many times with a fog bank below me on my approach, but a VFR aircraft rule, which is similar to 500’ below, 2,000 horizontal also include 1,000’ above.. but with most of the post on Facebook people aren’t concerned about regulations, only the of getting their drone back safety.. the hell with the 336/107 non waiver stuff.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh