DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in turbulence conditions

rusm

Reactions
Is anybody has experience of flying in conditions of vertical air currents?
I'm going into mountains and a little bit worried about Mavic maximum descent speed of 3 m/s.

What will happen if Mavic will be inside ascending 5 m/s air current? It can't descend?

I fly in the mountains a lot. I'm pretty sure sport mode would get it down or worst case, fly out of the lift zone and descend. I fly sailplanes in ridge lift and there is plenty of sink also.

I'm pretty sure sport mode would get it down or worst case,
But descent speed in sport mode are 3 m/s too.
Interesting what will be do flight controller if it can't reach nominal descent speed? Lower prop RPM even more, or not because of vortex ring danger?

Seems to me the rate of descent limit would probably be based on gps height, ie. in a rising column of air with rate 5 M/s the drone should be able to sink at 8 M/s relative to the air. If it's barometric altitude then it should still do something similar allowing for some pressure variations due to terrain.

But descent speed in sport mode are 3 m/s too.
Interesting what will be do flight controller if it can't reach nominal descent speed? Lower prop RPM even more, or not because of vortex ring danger?
I guess it is theoretically possible that it couldnt descend or even climb with full down stick (that is a good question) but unless you are in a lift zone, such as in front of a ridge with perpendicular flow, it is hard to imagine not being able to find a sink zone or a place with level flow. But if flying in conditions that sketchy, or are unfamiliar with the terrain, and its effects, I might just wait until it was a little calmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BD0G
I routinely fly in mountainous terrain and in windy conditions (up to 35 mph gusts) and have never had a problem with descent. Headwinds, however, can slow horizontal movement significantly.

I will flight near 500 meters vertical cliffs raised from ocean, worried that there is always hard wind conditions..
Untitled-1.jpg

Interesting question I will do some mountain flying tomorrow

It can get scary. I was over a mountain flying in Tahoe in some cloud cover that was low hanging.

Flew up and then placed in a hover to capture footage. Updrafts started blowing it way off course. I tried to descend and it was very slow going. So I figured these updrafts cant be all over the place I am going to fly horizontally and look for an "air sink hole" found one and dropped it down like water in a toilet.

Thats when I knew it was time to call it a day and not fly in such unstable conditions.

I just had a similar experience to BD0G, it was windy yesterday but not too bad. I took off and flew over to a cliff that had a wild updraft. The MP was dancing up and down 10 to 20 feet at a time so I turned and got about another 100 feet from the cliff and everything was fine. I'm going to remember this next time I approach a cliff or anything that can catch and redirect that much air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vamocognito