DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying indoors in atti

motopokep

Reactions
I looked at some posts from a year ago, did nothing change and we still can't fly indoors in atti mode? I have prop guards and want to fly around the house for fun during bad weather, and to shoot video of inside of the house, but I'm afraid if GPS kicks in, if it's low battery and it turns to RTH mode and attempts to rise 20 meters, being the minimum for RTH, it'll slam into the ceiling. Still no way to disable GPS?

I looked at some posts from a year ago, did nothing change and we still can't fly indoors in atti mode? I have prop guards and want to fly around the house for fun during bad weather, and to shoot video of inside of the house, but I'm afraid if GPS kicks in, if it's low battery and it turns to RTH mode and attempts to rise 20 meters, being the minimum for RTH, it'll slam into the ceiling. Still no way to disable GPS?
If you insist on trying inside, change the disconnect setting to Hover instead of RTH. Bright light and contrasting floor will help the optical sensors work properly, it will drift hovering over a plain beige rug.

Not in alti but wifi: RTH is the bigest mistake i've done...twice, but on the same seling.

Otherwise with guard and correct landing knoledge it' feasible !

Last edited:
yea, I decided to stay away from indoor flying. If I have a quick urge without the time to drive to a park, I just go by my house when no people are around and fly in the subdivision

Only in a gymnasium sized room will I EVER launch indoors, and then only for a darn good reason (like $$$$)

yea, I decided to stay away from indoor flying. If I have a quick urge without the time to drive to a park, I just go by my house when no people are around and fly in the subdivision

I think a wise decision.

But hey, the Tello comes out in a few months if you need an indoor fix!

You can fly indoors with no issues. It will not go into RTH because there is no GPS lock to record a home point, when you are that close to your takeoff point indoors or outdoors with GPS it will just land. It will not ascend or change locations, it will just land. Also you can turn off VPS if you are still concerned that it will mysteriously go crazy.

i know, I know:), I'm getting there. I just did a couple short LOS flights after doing the initial setup and watching a few basic tutorials, including the one from DJI. I had no issue with several RTH's so far. But I have yet to find the time to sit down and peruse the owner's manual and watch some more "advanced" instructional videos and rest assured, I will do that before I start any real flying. Trust me, I'm flying like a chicken until I learn everything there is to learn about this thing. Last thing I want is to lose a $1k drone, or to hurt someone.

Oh', it's not my 1st GPS drone...well, 2nd to be exact...but now the only one, after the dumb Upair One fell out of the sky after I flipped the RTH switch, that event made me really cautious and afraid to fly out of LOS now.

Oh, and use tripod mode.

Tripod mode is a bit tricky as it can come off at anytime indoors, I would just fly without it.

You have to make the room as bright as possible, turn on all the lights and open all the blinds, also watch out for compass interference as soon you get the messages, move the AC to a different location.

Pro guards are absolutely essential and as with anything with forward motion the AC does take extra to stop once there are no control stick inputs

tripod mode.png

tripod mode 2.png

Last edited:
i know, I know:), I'm getting there. I just did a couple short LOS flights after doing the initial setup and watching a few basic tutorials, including the one from DJI. I had no issue with several RTH's so far. But I have yet to find the time to sit down and peruse the owner's manual and watch some more "advanced" instructional videos and rest assured, I will do that before I start any real flying. Trust me, I'm flying like a chicken until I learn everything there is to learn about this thing. Last thing I want is to lose a $1k drone, or to hurt someone.

Oh', it's not my 1st GPS drone...well, 2nd to be exact...but now the only one, after the dumb Upair One fell out of the sky after I flipped the RTH switch, that event made me really cautious and afraid to fly out of LOS now.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf

I flew indoors yesterday. It went from Atti to Opti Mode while flying in the basement. It is risky with spotty GPS reception. I heard you can get unexpected behavior in that situation. I didn’t use my phone for the flight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde