DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Downtown

Worst advice ever

Yep worst advice ever, hopefully it balances out all of these drone police who want to tell everyone what they can and cannot do with their drones. I’m sure most of the people on here own and drive some type of vehicle. We all know the rules and regulations for driving and the consequences for not following the rules. and I would bet most of the people here still go over the posted speed limit some times. Everyone’s risk versus reward tolerance it somewhat different.

Reactions: playboz
Piedmont Park is fine. Just follow the usual rules of not being over large crowds or events, not straying over roads, and keeping the drone in your line of sight. I took these two pictures there today!

View attachment 6490 View attachment 6491

That awesome man! What about the Olympic Park? I thought that it was located perfectly and its in not in any NO FLY zones.

That awesome man! What about the Olympic Park? I thought that it was located perfectly and its in not in any NO FLY zones.
Unfortunately, Olympic Park is not OK. I called them when I first got my Phantom 3P a couple of years ago. They said no. If you look at the signs surrounding the park, it's posted against just-about everything (though drones aren't mentioned). They're concerned about its tight space, crowds, and surrounding businesses. Conversely, the Piedmont Park Conservancy was fine when I asked them, so I donate some of my photos to them. You don't need special permission for Piedmont Park. And there a little park at Georgia Tech where I fly sometimes. No one seems to object. It's called Tech Tower Lawn, on the north side of North Avenue, west of Techwood Drive. On the maps, its walkways look like an "X".

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Olympic Park is not OK. I called them when I first got my Phantom 3P a couple of years ago. They said no. If you look at the signs surrounding the park, it's posted against just-about everything (though drones aren't mentioned). They're concerned about its tight space, crowds, and surrounding businesses. Conversely, the Piedmont Park Conservancy was fine when I asked them, so I donate some of my photos to them. You don't need special permission for Piedmont Park. And there a little park at Georgia Tech where I fly sometimes. No one seems to object. It's called Tech Tower Lawn, on the north side of North Avenue, west of Techwood Drive. On the maps, it's walkways look like an "X".

Bummer. Have you tried flying outside of stone mountain park? I bet you could get some pretty cool aerial shots there of the engraving.

Yep worst advice ever, hopefully it balances out all of these drone police who want to tell everyone what they can and cannot do with their drones. I’m sure most of the people on here own and drive some type of vehicle. We all know the rules and regulations for driving and the consequences for not following the rules. and I would bet most of the people here still go over the posted speed limit some times. Everyone’s risk versus reward tolerance it somewhat different.

That's a ridiculous argument. You're basically saying that stepping a little bit over the line and stepping way over the line are equivalent. I would like to see you trying to use your "everyone's risk versus reward tolerance is different" argument to a judge while trying to justify speeding 50 mph in a 25 mph residential zone.

Bummer. Have you tried flying outside of stone mountain park? I bet you could get some pretty cool aerial shots there of the engraving.
Unfortunately, Stone Mountain said absolutely no, too. That was another phone-call I made early-on. But, that probably only applies within their official state-park boundaries. Maybe there's a residential street or nearby park. I haven't explored those options. Before they restricted them, people were flying drones from the top of the mountain near the tram machinery, causing safety issues. There's a lot of wind up there. Similarly, all ski areas also prohibit drones near their mechanical lifts; and most ban them from within their boundaries during operating hours.

These is just young people having Fun. As long as their not hurting anyone, more power to them.

Better than taking drugs and playing xbox

That's a ridiculous argument. You're basically saying that stepping a little bit over the line and stepping way over the line are equivalent. I would like to see you trying to use your "everyone's risk versus reward tolerance is different" argument to a judge while trying to justify speeding 50 mph in a 25 mph residential zone.

For some reason you think I’m arguing, I’m not. What I’m saying is everyone has their comfort level, the level of risk they’re willing to except. Some people only fly their drones over farm fields an open water, others will fly in rule areas with some residential homes and others will fly in densely populated suburban areas and cities. All three have a different level of risk and reward.

I just recommend people know the laws and rules so when you’re breaking them you know what you’re getting yourself into. That way you can determine if the risk is worth your reward.

I hope you know there are people that can justify doing 50 mph in a 25 residential zone.

Yeah, I happen to know one. A hometown teenage high school student who lived not far from my house. Actually, he had a habit of racing 83 mph down one of our 40 mph roads. Ended up killing a woman bicyclist. Charged with 2nd-degree murder. Now doing 9 years in a state prison.

After Fatal Crash With Cyclists, Driver's Tweets Help Spur Murder Charge

Wow, you seem to have a negative outlook on things.

I have driven over 50 mph in a 25 mph residential zone more times than I can remember. This is something that is done every day in my line of work when responding to emergencies.

For over 24 years I have worked for a large Metropolitan fire department in a busy battalion. I’ve seen citizens and firefighters get hurt and killed in all kinds of ways, none of them involving drones. When I start my shift in the morning my one main goal is to send the guys working underneath me home in the same shape they came in at the end of our 24 hour shift. We have people flying drones over our emergency incidents time to time and it’s never been a concern that a drone would cause us any serious injury.

In the fire department we take a lot of risk and as a station Capt i have to determine how much risk my guys take versus reward. I can’t justify driving 50 mph in a 25 mph residential zone for a fire alarm. But I can for a heart attack or House fire with a report people trapped.

I consider flying my drones a low risk activity.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Wow, you seem to have a negative outlook on things.

I have driven over 50 mph in a 25 mph residential zone more times than I can remember. This is something that is done every day in my line of work when responding to emergencies.

For over 24 years I have worked for a large Metropolitan fire department in a busy battalion. I’ve seen citizens and firefighters get hurt and killed in all kinds of ways, none of them involving drones. When I start my shift in the morning my one main goal is to send the guys working underneath me home in the same shape they came in at the end of our 24 hour shift. We have people flying drones over our emergency incidents time to time and it’s never been a concern that a drone would cause us any serious injury.

In the fire department we take a lot of risk and as a station Capt i have to determine how much risk my guys take versus reward. I can’t justify driving 50 mph in a 25 mph residential zone for a fire alarm. But I can for a heart attack or House fire with a report people trapped.

I consider flying my drones a low risk activity.

Oh, come on. Are you serious? So when you originally mentioned the thing about driving 50 mph in a 25 mph zone, you were really talking about not any regular Joe or irresponsible teenager doing that on a whim, but you were really talking about a trained, on-duty professional paramedic, fireman, or policeman using emergency lights and sirens to respond to an official emergency call, were you? Seems like you, of all people, should know that it's not OK for just anyone to take such risks without proper training, preparations, protocols, equipment, and clearly spelled out rules and procedures - oh, and official legal authority, too.

Oh, come on. Are you serious? So when you originally mentioned the thing about driving 50 mph in a 25 mph zone, you were really talking about not any regular Joe or irresponsible teenager doing that on a whim, but you were really talking about a trained, on-duty professional paramedic, fireman, or policeman using emergency lights and sirens to respond to an official emergency call, were you? Seems like you, of all people, should know that it's not OK for just anyone to take such risks without proper training, preparations, protocols, equipment, and clearly spelled out rules and procedures - oh, and official legal authority, too.

That's why I said "I hope you know there are people that can justify doing 50 mph in a 25 residential zone."

A regular Joe or a irresponsible teenager will most likely not be able to justify driving 50 mph in a 25mph. Even Public Safety is required to drive with do regard, and we can not always justify driving at high speeds unless the emergency is a high priority.

My fire department had a drone pilot program about three years ago it didn't last long. It was shut down by the politicians over privacy concerns. I guess the idea of a bunch of crazy firefighters flying drones near buildings and home scared.

Montgomery County plan for police, fire drones indefinitely grounded

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Oh, come on. Are you serious? ... it's not OK for just anyone to take such risks without proper training, preparations, protocols, equipment, and clearly spelled out rules and procedures - oh, and official legal authority, too.

This is a funny statement. It's like watching a cop doubling the speed limit, when out of their jurisdiction, without lights/sirens, all while talking on their cell phone (or typing on their laptop), and not wearing a seat belt. But because they're trained and have spelled out procedures and vehicles, (and arguably legal authority), the laws of physics somehow don't apply to them (or the people they strike with their .gov vehicles)?

There is a free app called AirMap. Do yourself a favor and get it. It has up to date restriction data and handy dandy phone numbers to let ATC know you are in the area and request flight permissions.

That's why I love this forum so much great information and advice, never heard of airmap until now.

I am off to NYC mid April, I was contemplating taking my Mavic, but I don't think I will be able to fly it due to the restrictions all around the city and the safely aspect, and worry I will end up getting in a lot of trouble.

Would really love to take it and use it safely, but is it really worth the aggravation, would I need to register with the FAA even if I am not a US citizen ?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman