DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying out of line of sight

Wait a sec..... Did I just sign up and join the drone police department?
There are alot of "perfect" dudes here, more than willing to preach. But do they practice their preaches?
IMO is anyone who flies a mavic and says he always stays in LOS simply lying. Mavic disappear without a trace in the first 100's of meters.

I fly it out as I need to and often go as high as 500m if I need to, given that I've checked that the airspace and my location is save to do so.

And then again... Neither of those acts are illegal where I live.

There are alot of "perfect" dudes here, more than willing to preach. But do they practice their preaches?
IMO is anyone who flies a mavic and says he always stays in LOS simply lying. Mavic disappear without a trace in the first 100's of meters.

I fly it out as I need to and often go as high as 500m if I need to, given that I've checked that the airspace and my location is save to do so.

Did a short nightlight yesterday....

So how do you check the airspace above the clouds at night? Only kidding :)

I have enough heart beat skips flying 200m away with a tree half blocking my sight, I think I would ha e a heart attack above the clouds!

So how do you check the airspace above the clouds at night? Only kidding :)

I have enough heart beat skips flying 200m away with a tree half blocking my sight, I think I would ha e a heart attack above the clouds!

I use ios app called flightradar24. It reports with notification if anything is happening near me. Also I can see on a map every incoming and outgoing flights in my location.
Knowing that app will never be 100% I trust on my hearing.... You'll hear the sound from any plain miles away if it's in low flight. Especially in the silence of the night.....

I'm not going to be the one risk ng to try..... But I think mavic would just go trough a airliners engines like all the birds (some quite large) that have gone through without any human harmed......

Reactions: SeaComms
In the UK you can fly FPV up to an altitude of 1000ft, yes 1000ft as long as you use a spotter. Proviso the spotter can see the drone.

There are quite a lot of other things with which you have to comply and these are all stipulated in the UK's Civil Aviation General Exemption E4049. It is somewhat misleading to just publish one selected sentence from such a document so I have attached a pdf showing the full text for anyone who is interested.

Attachments

• CAA FPV Exemption 6-5-2015.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
I use ios app called flightradar24. It reports with notification if anything is happening near me. Also I can see on a map every incoming and outgoing flights in my location.
Knowing that app will never be 100% I trust on my hearing.... You'll hear the sound from any plain miles away if it's in low flight. Especially in the silence of the night.....

I'm not going to be the one risk ng to try..... But I think mavic would just go trough a airliners engines like all the birds (some quite large) that have gone through without any human harmed......

Your understanding of what this app does and is capable of alerting you of is misinformed.

Your understanding of what this app does and is capable of alerting you of is misinformed.

How so?
You're saying that knowing of commercial air traffic coming and going is not useful information? I did say the app would never be perfect, meaning I would never trust it blindly for my or others safety, but that info along with other sources, yeah. I simply think you have misunderstood my comment.

What you said was this:
"Also I can see on a map every incoming and outgoing flights in my location."
That statement is blatantly false. It uses ADS-B data from aircraft equipped to send that data. That is nowhere near "every incoming and outgoing flight."
Further, your claim that a drone going through an airliner's engine "without any human harmed," comes nowhere near an understanding of what would happen, and I'm not one who is particularly worried about it at all. The fact is that it would do considerable damage to fan blades with extreme expense to any individual found responsible.
Whacking a prop or a windscreen is yet another issue.
Anyway, do what you want, but understand what you are getting from these things, and most importantly, what you are not.

Reactions: Lelantos and Logger

It isn't relevant if what a person "preaches" doesn't match what they practice - unless you intend to attack the person instead of the message. There is either a point to be made, or there isn't. If I fly my drone over SeaTac while explaining how foolish it is, it won't change the fact that it is foolish, illegal and irresponsible - it would just make me a hypocrite, but I would still be correct in what I said.

Reactions: flying_outcast

ignore these wannabes law enforcer, I would fly my drone to outer space if it can,
here is my sunset shot fromm 500m,

54cca1fe9999eed5e6df27928dd87c2e.jpg

if only it can go higher it would be nice

There are quite a lot of other things with which you have to comply and these are all stipulated in the UK's Civil Aviation General Exemption E4049. It is somewhat misleading to just publish one selected sentence from such a document so I have attached a pdf showing the full text for anyone who is interested.

Not that there is a lot of difference, but for the sake of accuracy, the current version can be found here : http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1226.pdf

Good luck seeing a Mavic 1000 feet up. Kinda pointless I think.
also the competent observer must be looking for other aircraft then he has to find the Mavic again at 1000 feet and advise the pilot as to the risk assesment ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

seems to me the observer is the risk in that venture unless he has xray vision and can risk assess a mavic he cant see whilst trying to explain to the pilot what he thinks is the best course of action

The only word he would ever need would be

LANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Be careful. You are not an authority that deserves an explanation. Try to avoid previous habits please. Politely asking here.
And I'm asking you to politely refrain from posting your replies to my posts! Thank you for your consideration!

Newbie here with a newbie question.

How comfortable are you flying your Mavic out of your direct line of sight and how many flights did it take you to start venturing farther?

On the whole, this little drone seems relatively straightforward to fly if you're taking it easy and focusing on image capture. But I feel like it'll be a while before I send it out a mile or more.

Any tips for safely operating at a distance? One YouTuber recommended staying behind the vector of a longer flight so you can more easily scan for obstructions.
Okay, I really didn't want to get into all this, as it's supposed to be a forum for Mavics, not where and how far to fly. BUT, just to be clear and give you just a bit of basic information about flying a drone legally in the UK. It is illegal to fly beyond visual line of sight or more than 500 metres (1,600ft) away from you in the UK. It is illegal to fly at an altitude of more than 400ft in the UK. It is illegal to fly just about anywhere in London (or any other major city in the UK) unless you hold a PFCO (Permission For Commercial Operations) issued by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) and even then, you have to keep 50 metres away from any vehicle, people or structures. So in other words, you can't fly in a City in the UK unless you have carefully planned your fight. If you're not a commercial operator then those limits from vehicles, people of structures go up to 150 metres away. So, if you must go and fly BVLOS, then go out in the countryside somewhere but even then you're still flying illegally in the UK. Go to the CAA website and look at the UK 'Dronecode'. It will give you all the info you need to fly legally. I don't want to put a downer on your flying but if you go flying in a city and it all goes wrong, then that's just one more nail in the coffin for the rest of us and even tougher regulations will be sure to follow. I like flying my Mavic and would like to continue to do so. Please, just stick to the rules.....

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Drone police!!! drone police!!!

Listen to the above poster. It's good advice. We'd all like to keep enjoying this thing and those who espouse other ideas are simply going to ruin it for everyone else.

Okay, I really didn't want to get into all this, as it's supposed to be a forum for Mavics, not where and how far to fly. BUT, just to be clear and give you just a bit of basic information about flying a drone legally in the UK. It is illegal to fly beyond visual line of sight or more than 500 metres (1,600ft) away from you in the UK. It is illegal to fly at an altitude of more than 400ft in the UK. It is illegal to fly just about anywhere in London (or any other major city in the UK) unless you hold a PFCO (Permission For Commercial Operations) issued by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) and even then, you have to keep 50 metres away from any vehicle, people or structures. So in other words, you can't fly in a City in the UK unless you have carefully planned your fight. If you're not a commercial operator then those limits from vehicles, people of structures go up to 150 metres away. So, if you must go and fly BVLOS, then go out in the countryside somewhere but even then you're still flying illegally in the UK. Go to the CAA website and look at the UK 'Dronecode'. It will give you all the info you need to fly legally. I don't want to put a downer on your flying but if you go flying in a city and it all goes wrong, then that's just one more nail in the coffin for the rest of us and even tougher regulations will be sure to follow. I like flying my Mavic and would like to continue to do so. Please, just stick to the rules.....

Yes its a forum for Mavics and that means Mavic based questions which include where you can fly, which is good information to be passed, and how far you can fly is a perfectly valid question based on DJI's claims as to what the Mavic can do.

As for the CAA website and rules i am sure by now everyone knows where to look for them and if they cant be bothered to do that, then you telling them too will not make a difference.

The question did not ask for the rules and regulations if it had of done then i am sure a Thousand drone police would be happy to post them.

If what the Mavic can and cant do, and where to fly it can not be discussed then could the drone police please make a list of what can and what can not be discussed.

Please continue to enjoy flying in your back garden. As you stated it is practically illegal to fly anywhere in the UK so i am sure your back garden must get a lot of flight time.

Reactions: Chris.K and Rnl
I don't want to put a downer on your flying but if you go flying in a city and it all goes wrong, then that's just one more nail in the coffin for the rest of us and even tougher regulations will be sure to follow. I like flying my Mavic and would like to continue to do so. Please, just stick to the rules.....

Flying in accordance with those draconian rules IS the nail in the coffin. Don't know why you're up bother even taking it out of your bag.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly