DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying out of line of sight

Flying in accordance with those draconian rules IS the nail in the coffin. Don't know why you're up bother even taking it out of your bag.
Right.

So flying illegally and/or dangerously is the way to avoid further restrictions being imposed?

That always works.

Right.

So flying illegally and/or dangerously is the way to avoid further restrictions being imposed?

That always works.

Laws are usually not changed or terminated before people starts to break them!
The history shows that almost always when that has happened it's because of people who rebelled and broke the laws that they felt stupit or wrong. So he's right and you are once again wrong. The Drone police squad in here is doing more harm with their policing and fear mongering than any other group in here. So I think you and the other cops (award how many of them are 50-60years or older males) even tough your age is getting high it doesn't give you any power over other people and it does not give any licence to execute on people the laws. There are actually people who work in that field. Have fun flying and mind your own.... It's getting frustrating that every thread on the forum ends up in some old dude spotting out something not 100% by the book and the thread goes ***********.

Old dude?

Really?

So if I understand you correctly you're saying that breaking the law will result in the laws being rewritten in order to accommodate illegal behaviour?

I must have missed that History class.

I fly 90% of the time out of sight over fields and woods. Hurting no one but the pictures of deer, coyote, pheasant, to me doesn't get any safer.

I fly 90% of the time out of sight over fields and woods. Hurting no one but the pictures of deer, coyote, pheasant, to me doesn't get any safer.

Sounds perfect. Not so easy in the city.

I'm looking forward to doing some flying up in the hills overlooking Byron Bay next week. Excellent LOS and great backdrop.

I'm spoiled can go out back door can go 2 miles in 2 directions before I come to a house.

Yes its a forum for Mavics and that means Mavic based questions which include where you can fly, which is good information to be passed, and how far you can fly is a perfectly valid question based on DJI's claims as to what the Mavic can do.

As for the CAA website and rules i am sure by now everyone knows where to look for them and if they cant be bothered to do that, then you telling them too will not make a difference.

The question did not ask for the rules and regulations if it had of done then i am sure a Thousand drone police would be happy to post them.

If what the Mavic can and cant do, and where to fly it can not be discussed then could the drone police please make a list of what can and what can not be discussed.

Please continue to enjoy flying in your back garden. As you stated it is practically illegal to fly anywhere in the UK so i am sure your back garden must get a lot of flight time.
I find plenty of places to fly legally in the UK, thank you very much. And you're absolutely right, how far a Mavic can fly is a valid Mavic question. And where you live that information might prove useful but here in the UK it's irrelevant, because you can't fly legally beyond 500 metres from you. I'm really not bothered if people go and fly their drones wherever they want to, including in a city even if it's illegal to do that, it's no skin off my nose. What I am bothered about is even more draconian rules and regulations coming down the line because people fly where they shouldn't be flying. In fact I think the risk from drones has been hugely overstated, I mean has there actually been anyone killed anywhere in the world by a drone yet? I don't make the rules but I try and stick to them because I know if I don't there will likely be a complete ban on flying drones coming down the line. And don't think that you'd be safe in the USA if a ban on flying drones happened here in the UK. Because with things aviation, what happens in one country tends to be very quickly adopted by all the rest. Happy and safe flying....

I
I find plenty of places to fly legally in the UK, thank you very much. And you're absolutely right, how far a Mavic can fly is a valid Mavic question. And where you live that information might prove useful but here in the UK it's irrelevant, because you can't fly legally beyond 500 metres from you. I'm really not bothered if people go and fly their drones wherever they want to, including in a city even if it's illegal to do that, it's no skin off my nose. What I am bothered about is even more draconian rules and regulations coming down the line because people fly where they shouldn't be flying. In fact I think the risk from drones has been hugely overstated, I mean has there actually been anyone killed anywhere in the world by a drone yet? I don't make the rules but I try and stick to them because I know if I don't there will likely be a complete ban on flying drones coming down the line. And don't think that you'd be safe in the USA if a ban on flying drones happened here in the UK. Because with things aviation, what happens in one country tends to be very quickly adopted by all the rest. Happy and safe flying....
it is not irrelevant if you want to fly further than 500m, which most of us I am sure do at some point or another, probably even yourself on occasion, Unless of course you stick intimately to every rule. Do you stick to the rule book to every meter you fly? If so fair play, but many of us don't and as said the irrelevance is in the answer that has nothing to do with the OP's question and it is things like this that will kill this forum. enough said from me. i will leave you to it.

Reactions: Chris.K and Rnl
My very first flight was to a distance of about two miles. Before anyone pounces on me, please be aware I have loads of experience flying other quads, when I launched my MP for the first time, it all felt very natural. My intent was to see if I could reach a park about two miles distant; it was a "litmus test" for my MP and needless to say, I didn't waste any time seeing if it would comfortably fly that far.

I live on the outskirts of Las Vegas where no building is higher than two stories, so that wasn't an issue. I did my homework and set my RTH height sufficiently before flying.

The very reason many of us gravitated toward the MP is its incredible range. Yes, it's illegal to fly outside of LOS. But I would humbly suggest that POV flying is half the fun.

Other silly laws: The US government makes us register drones. But here in Nevada, you can have as many unlicensed, unregistered firearms as you choose. Which thing do you think poses a greater safety risk? ;)

Reactions: Gary cato
My very first flight was to a distance of about two miles. Before anyone pounces on me, please be aware I have loads of experience flying other quads, when I launched my MP for the first time, it all felt very natural. My intent was to see if I could reach a park about two miles distant; it was a "litmus test" for my MP and needless to say, I didn't waste any time seeing if it would comfortably fly that far.

I live on the outskirts of Las Vegas where no building is higher than two stories, so that wasn't an issue. I did my homework and set my RTH height sufficiently before flying.

The very reason many of us gravitated toward the MP is its incredible range. Yes, it's illegal to fly outside of LOS. But I would humbly suggest that POV flying is half the fun.

Other silly laws: The US government makes us register drones. But here in Nevada, you can have as many unlicensed, unregistered firearms as you choose. Which thing do you think poses a greater safety risk? ;)

I can't recall ever seeing the right to fly a drone shall not be infridged but if guns were likely to be falling out of the sky I would have to ask are they loaded ?

Reactions: djohnston
I personally feel the most comfortable flying out of LOS when I'm using Waypoints in Litchi and I know the terrain well enough so that I can set the altitude appropriately. That's really what made me brave enough to send it out of LOS regularly. Even if I lose connection to the remote it just keeps doing its thing and comes back.

Laws are usually not changed or terminated before people starts to break them!
The history shows that almost always when that has happened it's because of people who rebelled and broke the laws that they felt stupit or wrong. So he's right and you are once again wrong. The Drone police squad in here is doing more harm with their policing and fear mongering than any other group in here. So I think you and the other cops (award how many of them are 50-60years or older males) even tough your age is getting high it doesn't give you any power over other people and it does not give any licence to execute on people the laws. There are actually people who work in that field. Have fun flying and mind your own.... It's getting frustrating that every thread on the forum ends up in some old dude spotting out something not 100% by the book and the thread goes ***********.
Try a GED....it might help with composition

Reactions: BorisTheSpider
Must LOS in Australia too. I have flown my Inspire Pro a fair way away. Can still easily lose sight against a complex background like trees. Then I go high until I see it against the sky. Tried to fly my Mavic the same sort of distances but lost sight less than half as far away as it is so small. Looking at strobe options for both beasts. Regardless, you must reconnoitre your flight beforehand for power lines et , which you will not see on your phone until it is too late. Don't rely on collision avoidance features.
Try the STOBONs . . CLICK HERE . . .they work and easy to attach.

Reactions: Chris.K
Try the STOBONs . . CLICK HERE . . .they work and easy to attach.
Thanks for the strobon link. I wonder how effective it is in the real world. Found it hard to see in the video when zoomed in. Our eyes don't zoom, so it will be harder to detect. I often fly 300 to 400m away, so it would have to be very bright vs the mavics leds. If I lose sight, I can usually locate by spinning the mavic to find its lights.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer