DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Outdoor to Indoor

lertsek

Reactions
I read a post on another forum discussing the logistics of shooting, in one shot, a video of the outside of a business and swooping through the front door and scanning the interior. Most suggested two shots. Others said it would require a lot of skill. But can this even be done with a Mavic Pro? My only experience that even remotely resembles this was when I tried to fly through a covered bridge. The MP got about ten feet inside and decided to land. Should I have been able to fly through? Should it switch seamlessly from GPS to Atti mode?

One should be very cautious in approaching this project. I would suggest practicing in a restricted area, with few valuable, fragile items about. Consider using the tripod mode. Remember to turn all off all the self protection features: no smart battery, hover or land for lost contact, no landing protection, and no obstacle avoidance. You do not want the machine to do anything you do not explicitly command. If you lose GPS lock it should revert to Opti mode. Make sure lighting is good and that there is a discernable pattern on the floor. I have found that the GPS receiver is pretty good and generally has maintained lock in a wood frame structure.
Have spare props on hand. Be prepared to scratch your toy.

Oh, remember to reset all those features an modes back to setting appropriate for the next foray into the great outdoors before you set out!

Reactions: Mrmund
This is my way of answering your question

This is my way of answering your question

Well, that's about how far in I got with the bridge. Were you able to keep flying indoors, or did yours stop on its own like mine? One other thing, the bridge was essentially a metal cage covered with wood. I don't know how that affects GPS, Opti, Atti and its ability to decide what mode to be in. Nice video, and thanks!

Oh, remember to reset all those features an modes back to setting appropriate for the next foray into the great outdoors before you set out!
Thanks Floater! I'll keep all of that in mind if I ever decide I just gotta fly through that bridge. I doubt the asphalt would provide enough variation though.

Well, that's about how far in I got with the bridge. Were you able to keep flying indoors, or did yours stop on its own like mine? One other thing, the bridge was essentially a metal cage covered with wood. I don't know how that affects GPS, Opti, Atti and its ability to decide what mode to be in. Nice video, and thanks!

Yes, I had no problem continuing flight indoors - in this video I stopped on purpose, but several other times I have flown from outside to inside and can keep flying indefinitely inside. It switches to atti mode pretty much instantly when entering the building and losing GPS.

My only experience that even remotely resembles this was when I tried to fly through a covered bridge. The MP got about ten feet inside and decided to land.
What was the caused of that?
Losing GPS doesn't make a drone land.
Should I have been able to fly through?
Yes
Should it switch seamlessly from GPS to Atti mode?
When you lose GPS, there is no switching to another mode.
Atti mode = P-GPS mode without the GPS.
Lose GPS and the drone is now in atti mode.

Using prop guards while flying indoors greatly reduces the pucker factor.

What was the caused of that?
Losing GPS doesn't make a drone land.

Yes

When you lose GPS, there is no switching to another mode.
Atti mode = P-GPS mode without the GPS.
Lose GPS and the drone is now in atti mode.
I don't know why it landed. Could it have something to do with only being about 4-5 feet high and over monochromatic asphalt? Also, I didn't disable any sensors and the bridge is only one lane wide. I was able to back it out, but only after it touched down. Thanks for letting me know that I should be able to fly through. I'll go back and pay attention to exact settings and look at flight records if it does the same thing. Hopefully, probably, it was pilot error.

Using prop guards while flying indoors greatly reduces the pucker factor.
I'm seriously thinking of getting some guards although it didn't waiver side to side. Just stopped forward motion like it was scared. I was right behind it and more worried about a car showing up.

I'm seriously thinking of getting some guards although it didn't waiver side to side. Just stopped forward motion like it was scared. I was right behind it and more worried about a car showing up.
A couple things would stop forward motion; Obstacle Avoidance and depending on your settings, losing connection. Both of these are common when flying indoors or under a solid bridge. Once you lose GPS it will try to maintain position based on the downward facing cameras. This requires adequate light and something unique that it can position itself in relation to. It will be susceptible to breezes including it's own prop wash.

A couple things would stop forward motion; Obstacle Avoidance and depending on your settings, losing connection. Both of these are common when flying indoors or under a solid bridge. Once you lose GPS it will try to maintain position based on the downward facing cameras. This requires adequate light and something unique that it can position itself in relation to. It will be susceptible to breezes including it's own prop wash.
Thanks Mossiback. I was filming the bridge and creek and thought I'd just try a fly-through without changing anything. Next time I'll think about it first.

I came across a 150 year old cabin that used to be my 5 generation grand fathers and the windows were broken out and I flew the Mavic air through the window to the inside.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu