DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying over farmers fields??

marky153

Reactions
Fling today on public footpath and farmer in house came out, going mad about privacy and threatening to shoot it down if I do it again! What are the rules in U.K.?
I did not even go near his house and nobody around.
9536ad65664966b14f3b7042e0021331.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Well threatening to shoot your drone down is a Fire arms offence in the UK , ask him next time if he values his
shotgun licence , if you are keeping legal distance and height from his house then your flight is legal in the UK,
so long as you are not harassing any farm animals and he threatens use of a shotgun again, have a word with the Police.

Reactions: Member
I read/heard that (possibly US only?) there is around an 83' limit for them to complain. If you're over 83' and all the other caveats (not harassing, endangering, etc), then it's acceptable. I believe it might be related to "privacy" issues. In other words, a legit complaint up to 83' . Again, something I read/heard.

Is that the farm building in the image ?? how far are you away from it ?? and as stated above it is illegal for him to threaten any one with his shot gun and i would report him anyway.

Just to be sure , are you 100% positive it is a public path
looking at Google it looks like it may be a private track to the farm house
I noticed public vehicle access stops at the end of the blue dotted line on the
map and even the google street car went no further

Find a local police officer and show him the image you posted. Just be upfront about it. Tell him, "Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong and I'll stop. If I'm not doing anything wrong please make him stop."

The public footpath crosses a small gravely path leading to his house, which to be honest, I did use to take off from. So he may have a point, but why he was so aggressive, thought he was going to smash it up! Not as if I was doing any harm or hovering near his house, I made sure I kept away from his house.

May ask police for advice?

I do cringe when I see a quad video with livestock made unsettled or running especially cows or horses which could easily career through a fence or gate causing damage or injuries.
It doesn't matter that "it won't hurt them" because they can be unpredictable with anything new to them.
Animals in the sheds are less likely to go nuts but still wise to keep a healthy distance.

This instance sounds more like a case of worrying about privacy or possibly concern that the farm was being checked for anything which could be stolen later.(or a video might be posted incidentally showing location of items)
Rural policing is very thinly spread and there's a huge problem with smaller machinery such as quad bikes and handling systems being taken in some areas.

Just the threat of using a weapon (any weapon) is enough for you to have grounds to speak to the police.

The CAA do appear to have clear rules and unless you were within those restrictions near the house, It would seem that you are ok.

Threatening behaviour is however a completely different matter and should not be tolerated. If you are on a public footpath then there is no issue with you trespassing either.

The landowner does not own the air above the field, if you crashed the drone and went to retrieve - that's potentially another's matter entirely.

Small edit, I do concur with 4WD above though, we should as human beings respect others and if you were flying over arable fields and no livestock were affected, then can't see an issue. The respect does go both ways.

If you are within 50m if his house then you are breaking the law... not vertically but horizontally. (Don't fly over)
This isn't for privacy but for safety - as if your drone had a sudden failure, it would fall down onto his house. He needs to be aware and have given permission to be "in your control" so knows what to do if there's a sudden Lipo fire on his roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are within 50m if his house then you are breaking the law... not vertically but horizontally. (Don't fly over)
This isn't for privacy but for safety - as if your drone had a sudden failure, it would fall down onto his house. He needs to be aware and have given permission to be "in your control" so knows what to do if there's a sudden Lipo fire on his roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I don't like flying over people's houses or property in case of engine/prop failure. This means I fly over water and in the wilderness.

Reactions: ajg_kestrel_PFAW
Find a local police officer and show him the image you posted. Just be upfront about it. Tell him, "Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong and I'll stop. If I'm not doing anything wrong please make him stop."

you put a lot of faith in the local bobby.. i was once politely ask not to fly my fixed wing camera plane over some land on the grounds it might harm the grouse who would see it as a threat..

i dont think its a legal issue more a social issue.. if someone strongly objects to something you are doing legal or not their feelings need to be taken into account..

trog

Reactions: The Editor
Fling today on public footpath and farmer in house came out, going mad about privacy and threatening to shoot it down if I do it again! What are the rules in U.K.?
I did not even go near his house and nobody around.
9536ad65664966b14f3b7042e0021331.jpg

As a section 1 and 2 holder myself I would never ever use my guns as a threat. The one and only time I possibly would is for sheep worrying. If this is a regular spot I would contact him first and explain the law on flying drones. If he persists with the threat then contact the in police. Theres no excuse for it. Trust me he'll think twice about it in the future when firearms come knocking on his door.

Farmers are funny sods some times, but any threat of using his shotgun would be taken very seriously by the local firearms officer.

i understand it - but they essentially don't understand the law. threatening with a gun is deserving of a visit from the police, and I'd calmly point that out next time, whilst also pointing out that you aren't breaking any laws (providing next time you take off from a public land 50m away from any buildings).

Then politely suggest he might like to buy an MG1 AGRAS MG-1 – DJI’s First Agriculture Drone - DJI lol

Height and distance. Height to avoid being spotted; distance to avoid unnecessary confrontation. There are too many videos of people trying to enforce laws that don't exist Granted barn storming someone's farm will elicit an aggressive response. Mutual respect. [emoji3]

I'd like to point out I've only heard favourable comments from farmers and got requests to go and do aerial pictures and video because they saw my video of other places.
No doubt some others are biting lips and don't like it but not had any actual complaints.

if you put video or stills up which show a house or farm there's usually a 'good' side and a 'rough' side out the back exhibiting bins or old machinery - you can guess which picture will get approval!

I am a farmer who has flown drones in my fields. My horses ignored it completely, my sheep as most sheep will run from any thing different, they did but not in a panic and stopped running with the drone still in sight. I reckon hill farmers could well make a drone a very effective tool for farmers. I haven't got cattle but they are more laid back than sheep.
No landowners has any right of light or space above their land for obvious reasons that they could stop any aircraft from flying above.
I am a against any form of hunting with dogs and more so game shooting. I intend to loan my Mavic to help in showing the cruel side of hunting with live feeds on Youtube and Facebook of hunting.

I am a farmer who has flown drones in my fields. My horses ignored it completely, my sheep as most sheep will run from any thing different, they did but not in a panic and stopped running with the drone still in sight. I reckon hill farmers could well make a drone a very effective tool for farmers. I haven't got cattle but they are more laid back than sheep.
No landowners has any right of light or space above their land for obvious reasons that they could stop any aircraft from flying above.
I am a against any form of hunting with dogs and more so game shooting. I intend to loan my Mavic to help in showing the cruel side of hunting with live feeds on Youtube and Facebook of hunting.
I fly over lots of farm land and work for farmers checking crops ect, the thing about farm land is once the farmer has shown he does not like it over his land, if it ever goes down after that point it will be hard to get it back, he could hold it until you used police to get it back and at that point he could have done anything to it and blame it on the crash. just use comon sense, yes if you are at the correct height he can not stop you from flying over his land.. but if you are looking towards farm buildings and have footage of this, he then has a privacy act issue.. Fly but dont be nosey and look out for other drones as lots fly over farmland for farm use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya