DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water

Flying over downtown like that is surely a NFZ and flying Over the road is stupid!
I would suggest removing the video!
Jasus,Here we go again [emoji3]
Dear Grey Wolf...
Maybe just maybe, some people don't always read the little instructions books, but that why we have laws, train police and build prisons etc etc....it's just apart of human nature, I sometimes cross the road when the little Redman commands me to wait....everyone takes a little risk now and again....but can we just stick to the topic of flying over water !! [emoji3]

I regularly fly between 6m and 10m over ocean with nothing disabled and have never had a problem.
Yep. I did this very thing last week. I got down to 3m over the ocean with zero issues. I typically stayed at 5m+ but I had no issues at any time.

Reactions: charliesRig
Was out with the Mavic and floats attached today and made this little video about takeoff and landing from/on water.
During landing you can see the effect of active Landing Protection which prevents the Mavic from unintended landing when flying in low altitude. All sensors have been on. There was also a PL filter attached to the camera.

I know I ain't got the balls, red or otherwise, to do that. Makes me feel a bit queasy watching this [emoji23]. Well done to your cojones!![emoji106][emoji106]

Flying over downtown like that is surely a NFZ and flying Over the road is stupid!
I would suggest removing the video!
And yet, looking at Airmap and DJI's geo map, much of downtown in fact, is NOT an NFZ. And I don't see any problem flying over a highway.

Reactions: jcp411
Flying over river, when potions of water is sparkling, reflects light, I get a "obstacle warming" sign. I reduce throttle warning disappears.
Only water issue experienced.

Which sensors do you disable when flying over water? Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be another one of those crashed my Mavic posts.

The status of the sensors - would it be enabled or disabled will not cause a crash. The VPS will not work flawlessly or will not work at all due to the reflective water surface.
Therefore, here is the guidance about the sensors - to be specific, about downward VPS, cause you don't need to worry about other sensors:

1) You may want to disable downward VPS if you fly over water, because you simply don't need it and you might want to avoid the problem from p.3.
2) You won't disable downward VPS if you plan to use intelligent modes that require it - e.g. follow me mode.
3) You have to disable downward VPS if you fly low, otherwise you will likely get an error and will need to calibrate the VPS using the Assistant 2 Software.
4) You are strongly recommended to disable downward VPS before hand catching, because you may get the same issue as per p.3.

The status of the sensors - would it be enabled or disabled will not cause a crash. The VPS will not work flawlessly or will not work at all due to the reflective water surface.
Therefore, here is the guidance about the sensors - to be specific, about downward VPS, cause you don't need to worry about other sensors:

1) You may want to disable downward VPS if you fly over water, because you simply don't need it and you might want to avoid the problem from p.3.
2) You won't disable downward VPS if you plan to use intelligent modes that require it - e.g. follow me mode.
3) You have to disable downward VPS if you fly low, otherwise you will likely get an error and will need to calibrate the VPS using the Assistant 2 Software.
4) You are strongly recommended to disable downward VPS before hand catching, because you may get the same issue as per p.3.

Disabled VPS and helps rid warnings. Also if you fly with camera zoomed you will receive constant warnings.

When landing DO NOT forget VPS is off. You must consciously control landing until touchdown. No VPS to control last 2 foot or so distance.
I forgot and " Thud" landed hard. After hard landing camer settings not working. Rebooted battery and camera is functioning.

As stated above - turn off landing protection. I flew over the water without disabling anything for a number of flights and then boom - autolanding. Fortunately I did not sink my bird. Landing protection always off for me.

How do know you unscheduled landing was due to VPS?
Were you flying below level VPS initiation level?

As stated above - turn off landing protection. I flew over the water without disabling anything for a number of flights and then boom - autolanding. Fortunately I did not sink my bird. Landing protection always off for me.
Two questions to this:
- Did you pull the throttle stick fully down before the unintended landing and for how long?
- Did you try to cancel autolanding in water by pushing the throttle stick fully forward?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin