DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water

Boog0822

Reactions
Which sensors do you disable when flying over water? Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be another one of those crashed my Mavic posts.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was the downward VPS sensors as the water can give it weird signals.

I've now flown over water 3 times without any issues and I haven't disabled anything.

I think you just have to be smart about it and know what you'll do if it start behaving in an odd way.

Be mindful of pushing the left stick downward too much when you are within 10 feet of the water. If you hold downward pressure for too long it may think you are attempting a landing.

If it starts an auto land sequence flip it into Pro mode and fly out. Play around with it over a safe landing area to find out how best to reverse an auto-land. Will the pause button stop it? Will flipping to Pro stop it? Will holding full up on the left stick stop it?

Yup did my first flight low over water this weekend with no problems make sure rhe downward VP is off

Was out with the Mavic and floats attached today and made this little video about takeoff and landing from/on water.
During landing you can see the effect of active Landing Protection which prevents the Mavic from unintended landing when flying in low altitude. All sensors have been on. There was also a PL filter attached to the camera.

IMG_7499.JPG I never turned off any sensors for my flight but I flew off a hill at 1,400 feet. Not one problem.

I think as long as you are flying more than 40 m over the water, not turning off the landing protection will not be affected..

any lower than 30m, better turn off in my humble opinion..

Reactions: elimansour
I think as long as you are flying more than 40 m over the water, not turning off the landing protection will not be affected..

any lower than 30m, better turn off in my humble opinion..
As long as you don't pull the throttle stick fully down and for several seconds Landing Protection will never be a problem. In fact, it may prevent your Mavic from touching the water surface by accident when flying very low.

Was out with the Mavic and floats attached today and made this little video about takeoff and landing from/on water.
During landing you can see the effect of active Landing Protection which prevents the Mavic from unintended landing when flying in low altitude. All sensors have been on. There was also a PL filter attached to the camera.

Hi there..looks like a good solution when flying over water. Where did you buy the floats? I'm UK based. Many thanks.

Reactions: De3mx
Every flight I make is over water.... No issues .!
Over/Under when I start my "Lost my mavic in water" thread.?

Attachments

• DJI_0005.JPG
    DJI_0005.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 92
Which sensors do you disable when flying over water? Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be another one of those crashed my Mavic posts.
Firstly I don't advise anyone to fly above water unless you set floats on your bird. I waited about one month my landing gear as the Canadian guy who provide it on Amazon is not shipping to Malaysia so I made it sent to France and once I was visiting my hometown I get my floats but before that I never flown, even for a second, above water. Since, I operate many flights (including several water landing/take-off) at Balaton lake in Hungary. I flew quite low altitude for friends and swans shooting purposes and never disabled any sensor. I don't get any trouble in all that moves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d