DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic into fireworks

Flying around the perimeter and not over the crowd would seem reasonably safe. Flying into the fireworks would almost undoubtedly be considered reckless. What if a mortar was knocked off course by impact with your drone and exploded over the crowd? Or the impact busted a prop and sent the drone spinning into the crowd? Is it likely to happen? Probably not, is is reasonably possible? Yes, and if someones kid were to get seriously injured the pilot (if discovered) would be in a world of hurt.

Flying around the perimeter and not over the crowd would seem reasonably safe. Flying into the fireworks would almost undoubtedly be considered reckless. What if a mortar was knocked off course by impact with your drone and exploded over the crowd? Or the impact busted a prop and sent the drone spinning into the crowd? Is it likely to happen? Probably not, is is reasonably possible? Yes, and if someones kid were to get seriously injured the pilot (if discovered) would be in a world of hurt.
That is indeed a good point. Nevermind the drone, the public safety would be at risk if the drone were to fly in the blast radius of the fireworks.

Good points, and if your FAA ID number is on your craft, they got ya.

During the Christmas season we had the 'Winter Wonderland' light display at CalExpo in Sacramento, thousands go to see it. A Mavic pilot decided to fly over it, and was spotted and tracked down by the Police, his Mavic confiscated, and a citation issued. Not sure of the outcome as I haven't seen anything new on the resolution.
Drone Seized.

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 9.27.28 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 9.28.04 AM.jpg

What if you outfit the crowd that gathers to view the fireworks with helmets when they enter?

They could also be handed a leaflet that informs them things that are sharp may cut them or poke thier eyes out and to wear a jacket or they will get pneumonia.

Stay 100 feet away and film to your hearts content. Launch from and inconspicuous location and get to 120 feet and above where the average human with average human ears will find the prop noise nearly imperceptible. Black out the rear lights with Electrical tape and turn off the front LED's.

A rocket propelled mortar being sent off course by a 2.22 lb quadcopter? What Steven Segal movie are you watching? I have personally set off a ton of "near" commercial grade fireworks and there is no way in hell that is going to happen.

Now the 2.22 lb Mavic being sent off course is more plausible , but with GPS positioning still intact being able to fly it to a safe location is very likely.

The people that drove thier automobiles that use a controlled explosion known as internal combustion and cut each other off while exiting the parking lot will be at a much greater danger than you taking some short video.

Reactions: DroningOn
During the Christmas season we had the 'Winter Wonderland' light display at CalExpo in Sacramento, thousands go to see it. A Mavic pilot decided to fly over it, and was spotted and tracked down by the Police, his Mavic confiscated, and a citation issued. Not sure of the outcome as I haven't seen anything new on the resolution.
Drone Seized.

View attachment 4538 View attachment 4539
It was determined the seizure was unlawful as the drone pilot checked for all available flight restrictions present, and the police were forced to hand it back to the pilot.

During the Christmas season we had the 'Winter Wonderland' light display at CalExpo in Sacramento, thousands go to see it. A Mavic pilot decided to fly over it, and was spotted and tracked down by the Police, his Mavic confiscated, and a citation issued. Not sure of the outcome as I haven't seen anything new on the revolution.
Drone Seized.

View attachment 4538 View attachment 4539

Corrected that for you. :)

Reactions: F6Rider
It was determined the seizure was unlawful as the drone pilot checked for all available flight restrictions present, and the police were forced to hand it back to the pilot.

Actually the pilot had to wait a period of about 2 weeks and then drive down to thier location and pickup his legally owned and operated Mavic Pro. The fact that they gave it back to him after taking it as "evidence" nullifies any wrong doing on his part.
Lets not forget he searched for any no drone flying rules and restrictions on thier public website before he took flight and there were no anti drone signs posted on the website or in their location.

My only concern is that in the event of some debris, either the projectile itself, or bomblets from a secondary explosion (starburst) strike the props, it will more than likely take one out. Then you no longer have control. But staying a safe distance away will mitigate that.

Reactions: windblown
Actually the pilot had to wait a period of about 2 weeks and then drive down to thier location and pickup his legally owned and operated Mavic Pro. The fact that they gave it back to him after taking it as "evidence" nullifies any wrong doing on his part.
Lets not forget he searched for any no drone flying rules and restrictions on thier public website before he took flight and there were no anti drone signs posted on the website or in their location.
Pretty much what I said, but yea. It's because of that incident, I decided to go to my local police and tell them I'm a drone operator, and that if anyone complains they call me with the number I gave them and tell me that I'm causing an issue. I also live in a 5 mile radius of a class E airport, and they know I routinely fly in the area too.

And that's the bummer, he lost his Mavic for two weeks, and then had to go get it himself at the evidence room downtown. All because the cops don't have a clue about the laws concerning Drone flight. They have now published a 'Drone Policy' on their website.
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 9.50.36 AM.jpg

And that's the bummer, he lost his Mavic for two weeks, and then had to go get it himself at the evidence room downtown. All because the cops don't have a clue about the laws concerning Drone flight. They have now published a 'Drone Policy' on their website.
View attachment 4540
And with that it's now clearly unlawful to fly over the expo and seizure can be justified. Before then, there was no obvious restriction, and to the drone, was simple Class G airspace, which he is legally allowed to fly in.

Reactions: F6Rider
And with that it's now clearly unlawful to fly over the expo and seizure can be justified. Before then, there was no obvious restriction, and to the drone, was simple Class G airspace, which he is legally allowed to fly in.

Well then the pilot did help bring about change. If Cal Expo does not want drones flying overhead thats fine , but please take the steps to inform people and dont live in your own little bubble and expect people to assume.

I dont want to fly there anyway. I wanna fly through the mouth of a volcano with my Mavic's Lipo Batteries exploding in mid air. Fireworks? Kids stuff :)

What if you outfit the crowd that gathers to view the fireworks with helmets when they enter?

A rocket propelled mortar being sent off course by a 2.22 lb quadcopter? What Steven Segal movie are you watching? I have personally set off a ton of "near" commercial grade fireworks and there is no way in **** that is going to happen.

Now the 2.22 lb Mavic being sent off course is more plausible , but with GPS positioning still intact being able to fly it to a safe location is very likely.

I didn't say it was likely. I said it was possible and stand by that. I'm not passing judgement. Just my opinion that the risk/reward ratio is skewed against flying into the midst of explosive projectiles with a crowd standing nearby. IF an injury occurred I doubt that telling the judge in a potential criminal negligence trial, or a jury in a civil trial for compensation "Geez, I didn't think that would happen." will buy much sympathy. Most folks that can afford a Mavic or other high quality drone likely have some other assets they would prefer not to lose. Lawyers love folks with a bit of money.

Regarding Cal Expo (or other places like that), I'm not really sure that putting up a notice on their website gives them the right to regulate any form of airspace in the US. While I agree that we should never be a hazard or pest to anyone, simply putting up a sign (electronic or otherwise) does not grant someone legal authority over something that is currently regulated by the federal government.

Regarding Cal Expo (or other places like that), I'm not really sure that putting up a notice on their website gives them the right to regulate any form of airspace in the US. While I agree that we should never be a hazard or pest to anyone, simply putting up a sign (electronic or otherwise) does not grant someone legal authority over something that is currently regulated by the federal government.
We should start a legal debate. :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid