DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying three miles high, catastrophic collision. ( NO COLLISION OCCURRED )dc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanna play a little devil's advocate here.

Are you sure you can identify an insect or you just assume (or your brain makes the match) of it as an insect because it is the most probable/desirable object of those characteristics in that scenario? I mean if I were to throw a paint ball or any other similar sized object out of context, would you be able to identify it as such or just assume that another bug spashed in your wind shield?

My point is that a pilot climbing and seein such object for a small time and having his mind in so many other things would much likely to just default to "drone" and raise the concern, than actually try to figure out what exactly is

Not saying it is right or wrong, but sounds like a probable scenario

I suspect that both can happen. However, you must have seen small items on the roadway that were unexpected, but you still identified them just fine. And that's without the benefit of changing parallax relative to the background, which makes any object much clearer. I can also say that I've easily seen and identified birds on takeoff and landing. I'm actually rather surprised with all the real life experience that everyone has of seeing small objects from moving vehicles that there is any doubt at all that this is perfectly possible.

Reactions: XavierFernandez
Happened in June and news puts out an article in September.

"The drone, which was flying three miles high, was just 100 feet away from the Airbus A321 which was climbing at 380mph after taking off from the airport."

From the actual report:
"...the first officer noticed an orange and yellow drone 200ft below and about 100m to the right-hand side of their aircraft."

In 3 months the reporter could not figure out the difference between 100 feet and 100 meters or 200 feet, 300 feet and 100 feet. If you are reporting about a drone being close to an airplane... you'd think you'd only have one main point.

Where is the reporting getting that this happened at 3 miles altitude?

Not agreeing woth the article, but when people hear drone, they think about their little Mavic. It’s possible the drone could be much larger and even gas or solar powered. We don’t know what the truth is, but we also can’t claim it’s Impossible

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Happened in June and news puts out an article in September.

"The drone, which was flying three miles high, was just 100 feet away from the Airbus A321 which was climbing at 380mph after taking off from the airport."

From the actual report:
"...the first officer noticed an orange and yellow drone 200ft below and about 100m to the right-hand side of their aircraft."

In 3 months the reporter could not figure out the difference between 100 feet and 100 meters or 200 feet, 300 feet and 100 feet. If you are reporting about a drone being close to an airplane... you'd think you'd only have one main point.

Where is the reporting getting that this happened at 3 miles altitude?

Monthly Meeting July 2018 | UK Airprox Board

screenshot9.png

I understand why you posted this, but your thread title is a bit alarmist & inaccurate! There wasn’t a collision, it was a near miss

From The OP's first post: "A passenger plane with 240 people on board narrowly avoided a catastrophic collision with a drone as it took off from Doncaster’s Robin Hood Airport."

From The OP's first post: "A passenger plane with 240 people on board narrowly avoided a catastrophic collision with a drone as it took off from Doncaster’s Robin Hood Airport."
^^^^ School of CNN reporting ^^^^ Lemming's gotta lemming.... :(

I don't see any hysteria - where is that being reported? In any case, those are quite different studies - a group doing numerical simulation of collision is not going to have expertise in aviation traffic conflict assessment. Someone else needs to do that.

I feel pretty calm, but then again, I was never a drama queen.

Malarky I say. Just another weak kneed attempt to assassinate and degrade our sport. There's no such thing as a near miss. "Near Miss" would be a crash, right. When you nearly miss, that means you crashed into whatever. Let's just call it a miss for crying out loud.

Why would a little town paper attempt to " assassinate and degrade our sport."?

Out of curiosity, how do you get the MP to fly above 400 feet? Mine gets up to that elevation and holds. I've never really been in a position to go higher or really needed to, but how would it be done?

If I tell you, and you fly over the "400 ft suggested altitude" and you cause a catastrophe, I am as guilty as you. I don't want that hanging over my head. you can Google it if you want, but if I were you, I'd stick to the 400 ft "Limit".

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Why would a little town paper attempt to " assassinate and degrade our sport."?

Is this a joke? The media has been over-hyping things for the lemmings for as long as I have been alive.... It's disgusting and the MAIN reason I ditched television 7 years ago permanently!

Yes, there is an hysteria about drones, mainly among drone users. It's obvious in this forum. I hope with time, they (we) all will calm down.

I'm thinking a combination of hysteria and paranoia is rampant in these posts and comments in this forum, with a little conspiracy theorists to spice it up...Ha.

Is this a joke? The media has been over-hyping things for the lemmings for as long as I have been alive.... It's disgusting and the MAIN reason I ditched television 7 years ago permanently!

But you still have the internet where there is 100 times more false information?

Reactions: sar104
But you still have the internet where there is 100 times more false information?

HMM 100 times? No sir, I choose where I go.. I also control what my children see.... I think television is 1000% worse... Especially for children as they are subjected to commercial's of all types and absolutely disgusting programming. I still prefer to guide my family verses letting the media/nut-jobs do it...

HMM 100 times? No sir, I choose where I go.. I also control what my children see.... I think television is 1000% worse... Especially for children as they are subjected to commercial's of all types and absolutely disgusting programming. I still prefer to guide my family verses letting the media/nut-jobs do it...

As I choose where I go when watching TV.

InvisibleName's comment was about the TITLE of this thread, and he was being overly mild when he pointed out it was "a bit" misleading. The title was outright ( Mod Removed ), given that it's grammar implies a collision occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MaviCam
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart