DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focusing Issue Fixed?

RC5728

Reactions
Did DJI fix the issue where you have to tap focus on the screen every time you fly the Mavic, or is that still required?

Did DJI fix the issue where you have to tap focus on the screen every time you fly the Mavic, or is that still required?

The Mavic now initiates focus when you start recording but tap to focus is still there as well. It's not an issue, it's there by design.

Ok yes, but in the past if you didn't focus it manually then it would be unfocused and blurry.

And apparently people were forgetting to focus.

Has that been fixed?

It WAS an issue if you forget to tap focus and then your video is blurry.

So did they fix that or not?

Neno already responded your question, and as everyone already told you it's not an issue! It's the way it's supposed to work!

It's like saying that people sometimes forget their car keys inside the car so car keys are an issue!

As of the last 2 or 3 f/w releases the Mavic would Center Focus automatically shortly after taking off. However apparently with the latest f/w it now also Focuses when you hit the record button. Not tested this myself but that is what some are saying, I have also heard others say that is does not focus when you hit record. Mine will be back from DJI today hopefully so will be able to confirm if it does or not (at least to put my own mind at rest).

The thing is, the Mavic, whatever it does can only automatically CENTER focus for you. The center of the frame may not always be what you want to be in focus though. You are using an airborne camera, taking video/stills is your main objective (unless you are just messing about of course) so there is really no excuse to forget to focus This applies to every single 'proper' camera out there, even with a DSLR, you may want something off center to be the focal point, would you then blame the camera for auto focusing at the center and ruining your shot? In my experience, even with my eyesight and a small screen you can quite easily see that the frame is out of focus anyway :)

Reactions: BD0G
The automatic center focus after takeoff and now when starting recording if it wasn't done recently MAY save you from forgetting to focus but won't always, so it's still better to remember to do it yourself on something that is for sure suitable.

Reactions: Bintryin
In the gimbal section of the app you can do a focus calibration which basically confirms infinity manually.
Not sure if this is new in Go4 but I only just spotted it.
Note you need to be able to select a distant subject which might mean you need to be flying - not something to start indoors.

I was also curious on this because if you choose to fly without a tablet/phone and only the controller, how would you tap to focus unless it would autofocus

I was also curious on this because if you choose to fly without a tablet/phone and only the controller, how would you tap to focus unless it would autofocus
The C2 button does a Center Focus. However if you are flying without a screen then surely video or photography are not the reason you are up in the air right, you cannot see what the camera is pointing at anyway lol.

Reactions: Sparky1963

If your car runs out of gas because forget to fill it up, is there an issue with your car? Or is it just user error?

I have the latest firmware but when I hit record it does not focus automatically. Is there a setting that has to be turned on?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have the latest firmware but when I hit record it does not focus automatically. Is there a setting that has to be turned on?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
There was nothing to change in the app settings after an update for me. It just started to auto focus on its' own when I pressed the record button.

Hi, I took some videos and photos at 1080p. I'm tapping every time to focus but after I downloaded the videos and images the camera was not correctly focusing.

I can see the camera was focusing but the images are always bad as the image I'm attaching.

Does the infinite focus the best option?

Attachments

• DJI_0041.JPG
    DJI_0041.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 69

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica