DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Foliage Moire Effect?

Maxheadspace

Reactions
When I take broad aerial video of wooded areas with my Mavic Pro, I notice a sort of moire effect, where the leaves in trees seem to wax and wane in brightness, almost flashing in some cases. After seeing it in my own footage during editing, I've noticed it in other people's Mavic videos on YouTube, primarily forward moving video over wooded areas. I know it's common with screens, roofs, house lines, etc, but this is the only situation where I've seen it in foliage. It makes this video unusable for commercial purposes. Has anyone found settings that will eliminate or reduce this effect? I'm shooting UHD 29.97 with various shutter/ISO settings.

Thanks!

Moire can be reduced by slightly lowering sharpness and/or contrast in post. Experiment and find the sweet spot. You can also set the camera to a lower sharpness but that might add the dreaded water colouring effect (specially in foliage). I prefer to keep it at 0 myself.

Flicker is reduced by using ND filters to be able to lower the shutter speed to no more than twice the frame rate. So with your frame rate ideally you should have a shutter speed of 1/59,94. I'd choose 1/50. Only slightly above twice the speed already causes a hint of flicker.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02