DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Four Waypoint apps compared, with new GS Pro

roadkilt

Reactions
I did a quick video showing the top four apps running waypoints for the Mavic. Not a teaching video, more of a comparison of them all. Get the DJI Ground Station first, and as you get good consider the others.

Reactions: BudWalker
Handy comparison. Worth pointing out that a user will need to have an iPad to be able to use them all. (DJI Ground Station is iPad only & Autopilot is only IOS)

Until it has been updated I wont be using DJI Ground Station anytime soon. It is one of the very few apps I have had crash on my iPad and its feature set is not compelling enough even though it is free. I have binned it for now and will revisit it in time.

Like you said, Definitely not a teaching video. Litchi Interpolate is not intended for what you were trying to do. In Litchi's film school the instructor explains.....
"Interpolate is not the way in which you should be using your gimbal setting to track a Point of interest, in fact interpolate shouldn't be used for POI shots at all...." he goes on to summarise by saying "When no to use interpolate - POI shots." it is a bit unfair for you to criticise it for misbehaving, when you have it in the wrong mode for the job. Your Focus POI run looked good though.

Thanks for doing the video. Good to be able to see a comparison without having to use them all. Have only used DJIGo POI, DJI Ground Station and Litchi myself. So good to see the other two. We are spoilt with choice really.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I threw that Interpolate video in to show Litchi misbehaving. To keep the video "short", its already almost 15 minutes, I left out a LOT. I flew many times with Litchi with some simple loops, one point POI etc. The gimbal was all over the place straight up to straight down, and Litchi wouldn't let me get control from the RC gimbal roller. Another time it stayed out of focus the whole time. I really tried not to trash Litchi because their online mission feature is amazing and fantastic, and they have a good history with Phantoms. I just think they rushed this one out the door while clearly beta. There are other youtube reviews on Litchi with Mavic that show similar behaviour. I'm sure it will get fixed.

Its unfortunate that Autopilot is iOS only, their loss really, and DJI GSPro is hard enough to adjust its tiny settings on an ipad, a phone would be impossible. However, I have a mini4 and they both run well. I have also had software crashes or lock-ups occasionally but no problems rebooting without issue. Never in a mission though.

Really all are good value given the price. Patience and learning from simple challenges before expecting too much is the way to go with all of them.

Good video on the different waypoint app's.

I own them all!

My favorite has been FPV Camera that I used with my Phantoms and now the Mavic.

I live in mountainous area and my favorite feature with FPV is it shows
your actual elevation / set elevation / and the difference between the two for
every waypoint.

Am now using Litchi with my Mavic - it was fine with my P4 but I was nervous to try it with my Mavic but....no problems. Simply love the waypoint mode in Litchi, the smooth footage I get is broadcast quality! Am using IOS, by the way.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I threw that Interpolate video in to show Litchi misbehaving.
Oh well - It is not actually misbehaving. You are asking it to do something it is not designed to do. That's operator error.
I flew many times with Litchi with some simple loops, one point POI etc. The gimbal was all over the place straight up to straight down, and Litchi wouldn't let me get control from the RC gimbal roller.
Again by design. RTFM and select gimbal pitch mode to manual if you want control over it. AFAIK gimbal cannot be overridden in interpolate or Focus POI by intent. Otherwise just share your flight plan an I expect it will be easy to identify the cause.
I use Litchi daily with Android and IOS iPad with mutiple POIs & Focus POI. Like Mike_in_Letcombe, I find it super smooth in the gimbal transitions. The only time it is not is when signal loss is occurring and the Gimbal commands from RC to aircraft are getting interrupted. Litchi does have its issue's though. Main one that effects me is their Android app sometimes often crashes after Loss of Signal on WPT missions.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with this "DJI Ultimate flight v3". Looks like its only for Android right now, but I'm curious if its any less glitchi than the other "waypoint" type apps. Anyone??
DJI Ultimate Flight - Home

Google Play says that it is compatible with the Mavic

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev