DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV w/Mavic 1 Pro?

skybanditpictures

Reactions
I currently have my Mavic up for sale but have been curious about FPV for a long time. The DJI FPV drone, as cool as it is, is a bit rich for my blood right now especially as it would just be for occasional fun. I’m considering hanging on to the Mavic, getting some goggles, and using that for FPV. Way lower entry point into flying this way considering my only expense would be the goggles.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions
That wouldn't replace the FPV flying experience of the DJI FPV. However, it would give you an "FPV view".

What kind of googles are you thinking of buying?

That wouldn't replace the FPV flying experience of the DJI FPV. However, it would give you an "FPV view".

What kind of googles are you thinking of buying?
I did fly a friend’s FPV drone the other day and it was wicked cool and I get it’s designed for that and the Mavic isn’t but I’m not interested (at this time) in the acrobatic possibilities so I’d think using the Mavic would be fine for flying around through that perspective.

I’m not sure which goggles are compatible. I need to research but basically wondering if this is a good idea or if not, why not?

And if the original goggles are my only choice, still perfectly good or do they have issues I need to be aware of?

The white or RE goggles work really well with the M1P.
I usually use my RE for a spectator to take the pilots seat, while I fly as normal with my iPad mini 4.
Though the M1P in FPV view, maybe sports mode and (after getting good enough) some low fast flying in high frame rate, I feel it would take some pretty decent cinematic FPV footage.
Now for you to find some original white or RE goggles.

Reactions: skybanditpictures
Go check out the mpb site as they sell the originals used for under $200. This is exactly what I am doing currently. I have a Spark and just ordered the MP1 for use with my Dji goggles v1. In sport mode with the Spark it’s really fun. The only thing you’ll run into is gimbal will drop and then level out. I totally get why they put the gimbal they did on the full on FPV drone. The other thing you can play with is full manual mode but it’s pretty hard to do with these controllers as they are spring loaded at 50%. You can try it on the built in simulator and get good with it then see if you are brave enough to take it for a spin. I will with my Spark but not a folding drone. Sure it’s not going to be like the new 120fps goggles at 60 to 87mph but it’s able to do 40mph or tweak it to go faster in parameters. The white goggles do 720p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps, and 1080p at 30fps. MP1 has the most seamless integration as well. Wireless connection to the goggles. Mavic 2 series also works wirelessly.

My FPV days are over. I got some Racing Edition goggles used. Went out with my Mavic Pro to do some simple flying - nothing crazy. Barely clipped a tree branch and the drone fell all of 6 feet into relatively soft grass. Repair estimate for the gimbal: $400. Racing Edition goggles in excellent condition and Mavic Pro with a damaged gimbal for sale!

Fly with care. I have flown my Spark for the last 3 years nearly exclusively with the FPV goggles and not had a crash. I tend to fly above tree level if I am going all full on with it, for that specific reason... Trees are a drones worst enemy. They do sell gimbals you can install yourself if you have the skill set. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_