DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FStop Labs Sun Shade

Even during normal flying at times I can see the shade in the upper left hand corner of the screen. To me it appears the opening on mine is not as large as the one in the photo.

I received my a few days ago and was pretty disappointed. However I talked to f/stop about my concerns and they art redesigning a new one ( no release date yet) that looks like a much better design. I believe in these guys and think the new design will take care of some of these issues. Keep you posted.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
What exactly we're your concerns?

sent from mobile device

Even during normal flying at times I can see the shade in the upper left hand corner of the screen. To me it appears the opening on mine is not as large as the one in the photo.
I'm getting the same results. I think the problem is that the product is an exact mold of the gimbal cover that came with the MP but black with a cut out. The camera ends up not being centered with the cut out and so you have the left side of the sun shade too close to the camera in my opinion. I think a redesign is necessary. Anyone else catching the sun shade top left? Great fit and still protects the gimbal and camera.

I saw a video on youtube that put these type of shades to the test and from what I saw and what the tester experienced was that these things don't really prevent glare and what they actually do is cause an abrupt glare once the sun does hit the lens. What it does in essence is; let you know that there is glare because the glare doesn't fade in, it abruptly drops into the scene.

Last edited:
I saw a video on youtube that put these type of shades to the test and from what I saw and what the tester experienced was that these things don't really prevent glare and what they actually do is cause an abrupt glare once the sun does hit the lens. What it does in essence is; let you know that there is glare because the glare doesn't fade in, it abruptly drops into the scene.
Exactly, I experienced this as well. That and even if you angle your camera down slightly you'll still get the sun shade in the shot. Well why don't I angle the shot down more? Because the angle i'm going for is the angle I want lol. Either way I think these sun shades are a waste of money.

OK - I can't speak for production model shades like the one mentioned but I preferred to make my own - loads of youtube vids etc showing how to do this. I used masking tape to mark out FOV on the clear dome all the while moving the lens around until I couldn't see the edges of the dome' before cutting with a 'Dremmel' tool ( easier ) sanding then painting. Truth be told STILL have plenty of lens flare just not so much. Waiting for Taco filters to see if that will make the difference I am looking for...............

Attachments

• 20170112_085429.jpg
    20170112_085429.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
OK - I can't speak for production model shades like the one mentioned but I preferred to make my own - loads of youtube vids etc showing how to do this. I used masking tape to mark out FOV on the clear dome all the while moving the lens around until I couldn't see the edges of the dome' before cutting with a 'Dremmel' tool ( easier ) sanding then painting. Truth be told STILL have plenty of lens flare just not so much. Waiting for Taco filters to see if that will make the difference I am looking for...............

This looks decent AND you still get the 30 degree upward view..

I have had them for 4 weeks. Mine are not the 3D printed type. They work great, it gets rid of most of the glare and all of the fan blade shadow effect. The only down side is that in the sports mode if you pan the camera down it will pick up the edge of the cover and it also picks up the edges when in sports mode doing certain sudden maneuvers. It's no big deal to me as Sports mode is not something that I use for filming video that I want to edit and keep. If you do need to film in sports mode then I still think the F-Stop is still good because you can just take a Dremel or File and cut it open a little bigger to suit your needs.

I highly recommend that you do not use the original dome as a cover. the plastic in it is so brittle that many of them crack during shipping, I would imagine that once you cut out the big hole in it, it will shatter like an egg shell on impact.

The F-Stop one is made of a much more flexible plastic. The only down side is that the bottom clips are not as thick as I would like. I am not sponsored by them, as a matter of fact I think I paid $24 for mine which is almost double the current price.

This looks decent AND you still get the 30 degree upward view..
Absolutely! I see a problem with the production shades - buy one if you can't McGuver one yourself then just mess around with it checking where the cover does interfere with the FOV - cut/file it down until you're happy - job done!

There's not much info on the web regarding the satisfaction with the FStop Labs Sun Shade. I realize there are videos to make your own, this one looks professional from their Amazon advert. Anyone have experience with it?

708fb080db1ee9be14b50e869c4a82ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Good luck getting anything from F/Stop Labs. These guys are notorious for horrible customer service and not shipping products out. There are plenty of reviews about their incompetence.

I've purchased several F/Stop products through Amazon and never had anything but great service. Now it's Amazon's service that I'm dealing with, but I've had no problem with the products of F/Stop.

Good luck getting anything from F/Stop Labs. These guys are notorious for horrible customer service and not shipping products out. There are plenty of reviews about their incompetence.

Hi!

We apologize for this issue - your order of Mavic gimbal cable are delayed due to our inbound shipment. We have already fully refunded you, we can ship you a free part at no cost as well! Please let us know how we can help you!

Thank you!

My sunshade from fstop was shipped and arrived at my house surprisingly fast. It was probably a 2 day wait.

I think it feels much more solid and better attached than the OEM cover. I havent done any testing with and without the shade for contrast comparisons but Im gonna stick with it.

Ive noticed it in view during sudden movements but I only do still shots so not a major issue for me....

Do you think a sun hood is worth it if you have ND filters?

They do different things depending on what you are using them for. The filters are for slowing down shutter speed, whereas the shade helps with lens flare and a bit of crash protection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG