DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

General Question

TheSnowyPilot

Reactions
Is anyone else confused as to why a section about a camera is called ‘pilots’. Would ‘enthusiasts’ or ‘community’ not make more sense?

Not to be a pain, when I think pilot I think aerial vehicle, or if you were to be talking a camera, attached to a drone, or being thrown - Why anyone would throw a camera is a whole different subject though.

I think it's very funny how salty "real" pilots get over drone operators being called pilots too lol. Anyway, my government issued part 107 card says "remote pilot" so I'm a remote pilot.

Reactions: vindibona1
I think it's very funny how salty "real" pilots get over drone operators being called pilots too lol. Anyway, my government issued part 107 card says "remote pilot" so I'm a remote pilot.
You have one very interesting username right there.

I think “drone pilot” sounds kind of dumb. Actual pilots have hours of real training they don’t just buy something at an electronics store and get a title. Because you go to a pharmacy and put a band aid on a cut doesn’t make you a doctor.

Drone “Operator” seems more proper.

I have no problems with pilot. I bought my Mini 2 from Amazon and proceeded to practice, practice and am still practicing. It's a craft that flies through the air and a pilot is the person who directs that flight. Just because I was totally inexperienced when I started doesn't change the fact that I directed the craft in the air. My two cents.

The FAA uses the term "pilot" to refer to someone who holds a pilot certificate, for example, a Part 107 license, or another certificate that allows flying bigger aircraft. An uncertificated person who operates a drone is called an "operator" in the language of section 44809. The FAA fairly consistent in this distinction between pilots and operators in its official regulations and communications, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to be so careful to use the words the same way in everyday usage.

My brother-in-law was in the Navy, and flew tactical jets off of aircraft carriers. He and his wingmen used the term "driver". I think they earned the right to use whatever term they wanted.

I have no understanding as to why the section of the forum on the Osmo is called Osmo Pilots. Surely that makes no sense? Osmo is a camera, no?

I have no understanding as to why the section of the forum on the Osmo is called Osmo Pilots. Surely that makes no sense? Osmo is a camera, no?

Really? that bothers you enough to post that same thing again?

It's just in keeping with the "Family Of Pilots" trend.

Mavic Pilots
Phantom Pilots
Commercial Pilots....

CommunityBadges.jpg

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Really? that bothers you enough to post that same thing again?

It's just in keeping with the "Family Of Pilots" trend.

Mavic Pilots
Phantom Pilots
Commercial Pilots....

View attachment 134993
I know that, but look at it this way. All of those logos have what look like wings above them, because most of them have the drone equivalent to wings. An Osmo is just a cube.

I know that, but look at it this way. All of those logos have what look like wings above them, because most of them have the drone equivalent to wings. An Osmo is just a cube.

It keeps the forum looking and feelin consistent across all platforms. If it really bothers you, just avoid that forum :)

Safe flights,
Allen

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
It's a craft that flies through the air and a pilot is the person who directs that flight.

In my mind as a child, I was a pilot when flying my paper airplanes across the yard. :D

"Pilots" vs. "Real Pilots" trivia follows, feel free to skip ahead!

When the Marine Corps activated their first drone unit in January of 1987, it was designated the 1st Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV) Company, and assigned to the 7th Marine Amphibious Brigade at 29 Palms, Ca. In standard Marine Corps fashion, breaking new ground like this resulted in gathering personnel from all over the Marine Corps. This unit participated in in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, where the value of this kind of asset was made obvious.

But it didn't take long for the "true" aviators to latch onto the unit and in 1996 the Corps' drone assets were renamed the Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Squadron and assigned to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. This brought the drones formally under the control of the Marine Naval Aviation Program, which formalized its training, maintenance, and procurement processes.

The first CO of the 1st RPV Company was Captain Tim Howard, an intelligence officer assigned to the 7th Brigade. The logic was it was an intelligence-gathering asset, so who better to put in charge than an intel type? I was assigned to the G-2 at the time and recall a great deal of skepticism about the "toy airplanes", especially from the 'old corps' types. But talk about an outfit being the ground floor...

Would not be surprised to learn that along with losing the term "piloted" from the name, they also now assign only "real" aviators to command this Marine Air asset and I'll bet the first round the men and women flying the drones are not referred to as "pilots". (I would love to be proven wrong, but knowing the Corps...)

And that's your trivia serving for the day! Carry on.

Is anyone else confused as to why a section about a camera is called ‘pilots’. Would ‘enthusiasts’ or ‘community’ not make more sense?

Not to be a pain, when I think pilot I think aerial vehicle, or if you were to be talking a camera, attached to a drone, or being thrown - Why anyone would throw a camera is a whole different subject though.
Not to be contrary, but I guess I am, I don’t view this is a “section about a camera,” but a section about drones that carry a camera. So no, I’m not confused. Additionally, a UAS is an “aircraft” as defined in the FAA’s authorizing statutes. Of course people have different opinions on this subject; I respect yours, and hopefully you respect ours. Happy flying! ??

I'm a licensed "real" pilot and have been for several decades. I don't feel particularly threatened or offended by "Pilot" referring to me, to my drone-flying friends, or to a city bus driver. Perhaps one day our species will take substance more seriously than form. But it ain't lookin' like it will be soon.

Reactions: Bryan L and PAW
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05