DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getterback

Former Member

Reactions
Has anyone used the Getterback for water retrieval? Im going to get one for the DSAR June meeting when we will be flying over a lake.

Can it be switched from drone to drone, in case someone wants to try it? I think it would help reduce stress for newbie water fliers.

Last edited:
Looking at the photo, it looks like it’s attached with Velcro or something similar rob so should be easy to transfer to different drones.

Reactions: Former Member
We have used them for years on Phantoms and can't count the threads on here .
Here are a few
Accessory Idea: Plastic Adapter for GetterBack
GetterBack Mounting

Not even going to post the threads there are so many if you search GetterBack .
Never had dropped my Phantom in water anyway so can't say on a drone but have dropped several
high end Rod & Reels and they always worked and got my stuff back .

Reactions: dirkclod
Thunder
We have been working on a water recovery device. I posted previously some of the details but I will have prototypes available by the time June rolls around.
Are u
You interested in trying a couple.....let me know happy to send a coupleyour way.
Mikeemoose55

Thunder
We have been working on a water recovery device. I posted previously some of the details but I will have prototypes available by the time June rolls around.
Are u
You interested in trying a couple.....let me know happy to send a coupleyour way.
Mikeemoose55

Absolutely!

No need you knew all this was there you are in some of the threads .
You have a printer make some of these .
IMG_0967.JPGThey look handy for what you are planning .
Hey get some WetSuits :p
I know I know don't say it

The rods I retrieved with mine had hit bottom before the line ran out. Not sure but bet one wouldn't .
Not even sure 2 would but as long as it's not over 100' deep unless hung up on something you would be able to pull one back up .

Im wondering if a single Getterback will float a Mavic Pro? I see the example above they are using 2 of them on an MP.
I do not think it is intended to float the object, just release a float with string attached, you would have to hope the string is strong enough to lift by hand by pulling up the float.

Correct. 10 lb braided line.

I do not think it is intended to float the object, just release a float with string attached, you would have to hope the string is strong enough to lift by hand by pulling up the float.

Guess I should have researched it first! I saw a guy on youtube attach a hammer to it, and he was able to pull the hammer up. The device took around 12 minutes to deploy. Thats why the idea of attaching 2 wouldnt hurt. Then you would double the chance of the device deploying, and also have 2 strings to pull it up with as long as they both deployed.

Why not attach 4

Think that be overkill . There is not much in one to hold up much weight other than the yellow float .
Holding weight up is not what it is designed to do .You go deeper than 100' this floats going too .
Oh you could use a crank bait and snag a line if it wasn't to deep ,Have box full of em and here's one took apart . Not much to it . But I do know it does work or has for me .

IMG_7583.JPGIMG_7584.JPG
The ones I have are just the older model, now they have then packaged for Drones and charge more .
Same thing .I don't even use one with my Mavics but are attached to my Phantoms leg.
Trust the Mavic's way more than the Phantoms and if I ever do sink one where I can't get it.
It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all .
Me gone .?

I've got the older version (not package as for drones LOL) and fly it anytime I'm going to be over water for a significant amount of time or distance. The only sUAS I've ever lost was due to battery issue and it was in the lake. I needed the SD card BAD from it but it wasn't recovered for 16 months and all was lost.

This unit will simple deploy the 'buoy" and line so you can hopefully hoist it back up and salvage something or at least turn it in on your insurance if they require an airframe.

I've got the older version (not package as for drones LOL) and fly it anytime I'm going to be over water for a significant amount of time or distance. The only sUAS I've ever lost was due to battery issue and it was in the lake. I needed the SD card BAD from it but it wasn't recovered for 16 months and all was lost.

This unit will simple deploy the 'buoy" and line so you can hopefully hoist it back up and salvage something or at least turn it in on your insurance if they require an airframe.

16 months! It could have been declared an artificial reef!

Do you also use a tracking device? Im thinking that between the Getterback and a Trackimo, the pilot will at least get a rough idea of where the drone might be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf