DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accessory Idea: Plastic Adapter for GetterBack

kencox

Reactions
I have a GetterBack installed with Velcro on my Mavic 2 Zoom. [My DJI Care Refresh is worthless if I can't get the drone off the bottom of the lake. ;)]
This will probably work (although I haven't dunked it yet).

However, the Velcro wraps around the battery which means fussing with it to swap the battery. The Velcro can also slip.

What I would like is a plastic part that would clip or fasten securely around the body. The clip would avoid the sensors (as the Velcro does) and not put pressure on the battery release buttons (a problem with the Velcro).

A professionally-designed clip would maintain the drone's esthetics while following the contours of the Mavic 2 body and battery.

The clip should include a slot for semi-permanently attaching the GetterBack.

You can contact me here with any questions. Happy to try out anything experts come up with.

Ken

2018-10-08 3-09-53 PM.png2018-10-08 3-10-17 PM.png

Can that device handle the weight of the Mavic? Of course I'd recommend a substitute equivalent weight for the test.

If it works, I'd be interested in the package. Flying over water is often the best in scene and VLOS but most unnerving.

I've got this for my Mavic, search the net for 'twin getterback' and you'll find all the details Thumbswayup

IMG_0966.JPGIMG_0967.JPGIMG_0968.JPG

Reactions: kencox
The velcro safeguard defeats the purpose of the bracket.
Does the bracket work on an M2? Not the same bottom after all.

The velcro safeguard defeats the purpose of the bracket

Yeah that's optional mate.

Depends on how hard you're planning on hitting the water. If you've fallen from any decent height in the sky the impact on the water surface alone would just rip any bracket right off.

A slow decent / landing on to the water? Not a problem, no velcro backup required.

Again, it just depends on how you're planning to crash ;)

Does the bracket work on an M2?

No, definitely not...

Reactions: Don't Wanna
I always attach the Getterback with it’s Velcro to one of the rear legs of the Mavic. Hold it so tight that it cannot rotate and could avoid hitting the props.

My Mavic Pro was saved by a Getterback last Tuesday.
I whittled the plastic on the GB which provides a rounded surface for fishing poles and make it more square to match up with the bottom side of a rear leg on the MP. the tip end of the GB was pointed away from the MP body toward the motor on that arm and there was plenty of velcro to make a really secure mount. It took a while but the GB did finally fire at a depth of just under 6 feet (they are designed to fire at 6 feet or deeper). I paddled out to the float in an inflatable kayak and tried to recover the MP. It was hung up in other fishing line that had snagged the bottom. I don't recall what weight the GB line could support but I put some serious strain on it and finally got the MP close enough to the surface that I could reach in and grab a leg to recover it. Turned out my crash was due to fishing line hanging down from a tree I was flying under (above the lake).

As others noted, I would also be concerned with the 3d printed brackets or even trusting the battery latches would hold if you needed to apply a lot of force. Twin GB could be done by mounting one on each rear leg!

I am obviously sold on the GB and don't plan to fly without one - too bad they are backordered right this minute...

Reactions: Ping^Spike
As others noted, I would also be concerned with the 3d printed brackets or even trusting the battery latches would hold if you needed to apply a lot of force.

I agree, which is why I more often than not, I wrap Velcro around the whole shebang as I don't think I'd trust it to stay attached with pulling force otherwise!

IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG

I've since replaced these old yellow ones with the newer hi-vis colour model which are supposed to have some performance improvements too.

Great to hear another recovery story @TxRider

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato