DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Issue After Repair

hometheaterman

Reactions
So I tried repairing this gimbal and I'm still having issues. I've done several ribbon cables in the past without issue, so I dove into this one thinking it would go fine. The PTZ cable was also ripped on this one, so I ordered one on eBay to replace it and ordered an F-Stops ribbon cable which I've used several times in the past. I got it all back together and it just slams it self up and down and then stays in the down position. After 20-30 seconds it will repeat this process. The app also gives me a gimbal overload error. I don't feel either of the gimbal motors getting overly hot, so I'm wondering if I got a bad ribbon cable. Any suggestions on where to look next?

Here is what it does:

My mavic just got a motor overload error on my last flight and now I am worried that its going to get worse..My mavic has been babied and never crashed or even came close to a crash. I know nothing about replacing the ribbon cable and the one place in town I called wanted $250 to replace the whole camera. It amazes me how DJI can make a start up so violent that it breaks stuff while trying to calibrate. It also amazes me that they haven't owned up to their own issues. What a bunch of crooks and morons. Guess if this mavic takes a dump Ill call State Farm, make a claim, get my check, and not touch another DJI product in my life.

So I tried repairing this gimbal and I'm still having issues. I've done several ribbon cables in the past without issue, so I dove into this one thinking it would go fine. The PTZ cable was also ripped on this one, so I ordered one on eBay to replace it and ordered an F-Stops ribbon cable which I've used several times in the past. I got it all back together and it just slams it self up and down and then stays in the down position. After 20-30 seconds it will repeat this process. The app also gives me a gimbal overload error. I don't feel either of the gimbal motors getting overly hot, so I'm wondering if I got a bad ribbon cable. Any suggestions on where to look next?

Here is what it does:

Looks like a bad ribbon cable. You might also check the connectors on top of the vision board. I think @digdat0 had the same issue as you. You might want to ping him.

Looks like a bad ribbon cable. You might also check the connectors on top of the vision board. I think @digdat0 had the same issue as you. You might want to ping him.
That's really what I'm leaning towards as well. I'm assuming the PTZ cable wouldn't affect this at all? I'm not getting video transmission either, so I'm really thinking it's the ribbon cable.

video transmission is not over ribbon cable, but rather the braided line. Strange that both are failing.

I think its the cable. I bought two or three fstlabs ribbons and had same issue. I even tried to email the company and never got a response. I dont think their ribbons work.

I bought a dji ribbon from an ebay seller in china and i installed it and had zero issues. I think its their ribbons.

I also noticed i bent some pins on the gimbal and i had to also buy a new gimbal motor as i messed some up

Worst comes to worst, you can buy the entire Gimbal assembly with vision board for $240 on ebay all put together. You just mount with 4 screws and snap on the 4 connectors on top.

That is EXACTLY what my gimbal started doing when on a trip to the Rockies this year; I filmed it in the first minute of this video below.
No amount of firmware resets and refreshes worked; neither did any calibration.

In the end I had to send it off to DJI. They confirmed there was no damage to the gimbal but the 'gimbal control board' needed replacing.
Initially they wanted to charge me, but I pointed out that with no damage to the gimbal, a replacement electronic control board surely had to be a warranty claim, and they agreed, and fixed it for free.

Have a look around 00:30 on this video and you'll see precisely the same behaviour. Hope this helps you out with required the fix.

Cheers, Ian

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05