DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Problem

Random155

Reactions
Had a very minor crash, dropped about 5 feet to the ground after hitting an object. Everything works fine except I cant get my gimbal to move up and down using the wheel on the remote. The gimbal is seated properly in all the tabs. Did imu, remote and compass calibration and still cant get the gimbal to move up and down. Any suggestions before it gets sent back to DJI? Anyone have a gimbal replaced by DJI yet, and know the cost?

Reactions: Raspberry1
Had a very minor crash, dropped about 5 feet to the ground after hitting an object. Everything works fine except I cant get my gimbal to move up and down using the wheel on the remote. The gimbal is seated properly in all the tabs. Did imu, remote and compass calibration and still cant get the gimbal to move up and down. Any suggestions before it gets sent back to DJI? Anyone have a gimbal replaced by DJI yet, and know the cost?
You most likely have damaged the ribbon cable that controls gimbal motor function. There are 2 data cables coming from the main controller board into the carriage area where the gimbal and camera are seated. There is the wrapped wire bundle cable for camera function and a ribbon data cable for gimbal control. The ribbon cable is extremely short and is the main weakness of the Mavic's gimbal and camera assembly. If you are still seeing video, but no gimbal function, then damage to the ribbon cable is most likely your issue.
You will have to send to DJI for repair. There are other threads on this subject that I have written about. Good luck with getting it repaired.
BB..

Reactions: Raspberry1
I'm having a Similar issue with mine :(
the Gimbal tilts up a bit then flips over to the back and hits the endstop it then triggers a gimbal overload error it goes floppy and then periodically tries again. Cant calibrate it as the initialisation fails.
I cant see any damage to the ribbon cable but wouldn't surprise me one bit as when it flips over it almost pulls on the ribbon.
Looks like mine is going back to DJI as well except I cant find out who to send it to. Cant send it for an early replacement <7 days because they dont have any stock to give me one :(
This sucks had to spend NYE Droneless.

I tried to connect it to the DJI assistant 2 app on the pc and if you go into the simulator it shows you the position of the gimbal servos they are very noisy values but appears to be working properly. making me think its an earth or something loose?

I'm having a Similar issue with mine :(
the Gimbal tilts up a bit then flips over to the back and hits the endstop it then triggers a gimbal overload error it goes floppy and then periodically tries again. Cant calibrate it as the initialisation fails.
I cant see any damage to the ribbon cable but wouldn't surprise me one bit as when it flips over it almost pulls on the ribbon.
Looks like mine is going back to DJI as well except I cant find out who to send it to. Cant send it for an early replacement <7 days because they dont have any stock to give me one :(
This sucks had to spend NYE Droneless.
Hi Wornbat i have same problem i was searching forums and could not find what's wrong then today I found YouTube video of someone who has same problem after crashing from fue feet he sent it to Dji they told him it's gimbal control board i asked him how much they quoted him but didn't get responses yet. I'm tempted to open it up and see if any of the connectors are loose will let you know if I hear from him or if I find anything.

Hi Wornbat i have same problem i was searching forums and could not find what's wrong then today I found YouTube video of someone who has same problem after crashing from fue feet he sent it to Dji they told him it's gimbal control board i asked him how much they quoted him but didn't get responses yet. I'm tempted to open it up and see if any of the connectors are loose will let you know if I hear from him or if I find anything.
Im still waiting to hear from them ive now been put into some other system now and its waiting verification. thats 4 days that they have had it in their hands. I suspect they don't have any new units to replace mine with.

Apparently the cost of board replacement is like 80 usd out of that 60 is labor.

hey guys,

I'm new here and a proud mavic owner in Hong Kong. I have the exact same issue!

10 minutes into my second flight ever, a slow brush against a corner and dropped it from a few feet. Fortunately, the drone still works perfectly but the gimbal can no longer rotate up or down. The gimbal always seem to be stuck looking to the right as well.

Since the minor accident, I've been getting messages like "gimbal obstructed" and "aircraft motor overload, remove gimbal clamp".

I've managed to scheduled a session with DJI. The guys there said they've got a similar case a week ago and quoted for a shy under 200 usd. I can send it in for repair or replace the whole thing (I have DJI care). The wait time is around 2 weeks for a new unit.

After some thoughts and discussion with the guys at DJI, I might keep flying it for a while in this condition until I can no longer tolerate it or perhaps a worst crash and send the whole thing in to have it replaced.

Last edited:
I've had a similar issue after I bumped mine into snowy ground due to snow clogged sensors. The gimbal got covered in snow and after wiping it off and letting it dry I couldn't move the gimbal up or down with the controller.

The gimbal initialization during startup would not do its usual thing and later the attempted calibration would take really long and fail at one point or another. Sometimes I'd get the gimbal overload message.

What I did was forcefully make sure the motors move all the way around. Seems like the paths can be pretty sensitive and the motor could get stuck at certain points. First I just moved the gimbal around by hand to make sure it moved freely. Then I would help it along if it got stuck during startup and later during the gimbal calibration. The gimbal started working normally after a successful calibration.

This was a month ago and it's been working flawlessly ever since. I'm not going to directly suggest anyone else do it in case you break it, but helping out the gimbal initialization and calibration manually worked out for me at least :)

Reactions: B-Radd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan