DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal reset in flight

Me I can't even reach the split gimbal reset and stops the video recording :(

This is what happened to my recordings during today's flight.

Looks like the frame changes right before the reset?

Here is my gimbal reset video screen record from my ipad. It is happening more frequently now.

Here is my gimbal reset video screen record from my ipad. It is happening more frequently now.

I don’t think you need to resurrect every thread there’s ever been on gimbal reset issues and post your video to it to kick it to the top. People are replying to you in the thread you started.

Yours is less scary than mine was. I could see the reset happen on the app straight away. Never got the blank screen or image transmission error.

Unfortunately, there's no fix :'(

Sure is frustrating.

Unfortunately, there's no fix :'(

For me there was a fix. Use a different SD card. I realized that was the problem when a completely fresh Mavic started doing the same thing. I didn't even need to replace it, only the SD card. I'd try that. Not just a different one but a different brand, get the most expensive super fast version with a 4K logo on it. I thought it was just marketing and it may well be that, but since I replaced the card I haven't had it happen once. Before that, it would happen frequently and randomly.

I read through all this. I don't think I've had this exact problem, yet? I just want to share some things I learned about the Mavic when repairing a damaged ribbon cable and gimbal anti-vibration plate.
1) It's extremely easy to damage a ribbon cable, apparently without even crashing. It's very fragile with 90 degree bends/connections. I crashed mine hard enough to rip the cable into 3 pieces, but I've seen others on youtube that were damaged from everyday use. The way it is routed around the gimbal, it's possible for it to catch/snag on a protrusion from the camera.
2) The little circuit board the ribbon cable and video cable connect to also has the forward sensors connected to it. It also has two other ribbon cables that lead away from it. One of them (maybe both) leads to the main computer board in the drone. If that cable isn't seated properly or damaged, you'll see things like no video and no SD card. I also got Mag Iterference messages after changing the cable, but not having the other cable seated properly. Given that those cables are also available from 3rd party sellers, I'm guessing they get damaged too sometimes.
4) The SD card that came with my MP is of questionable quality for 4K video. The read rate is very slow compared to a cheap Microcenter branded card that I bought at the checkout register. It wasn't marked as a U3 card, but it is very fast.

For me there was a fix. Use a different SD card. I realized that was the problem when a completely fresh Mavic started doing the same thing. I didn't even need to replace it, only the SD card. I'd try that. Not just a different one but a different brand, get the most expensive super fast version with a 4K logo on it. I thought it was just marketing and it may well be that, but since I replaced the card I haven't had it happen once. Before that, it would happen frequently and randomly.

Loads of people tried changing the SD card including myself. Problem was still there.

I don’t think you need to resurrect every thread there’s ever been on gimbal reset issues and post your video to it to kick it to the top. People are replying to you in the thread you started.

Just communicating wherever there is the conversation of this issue. My screen recording could be a big help, but who knows. I'm only interested in helping myself and others find a solution and don't really care if it offends you if i post it in every thread.

I will try that. Thanks for providing an option to try.

Any updates on this?

This happens quite seldom on my Mavic - but the gimbal reset still happens from time to time.
I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gbit card (original bought from camera store)

I have put it down to SD cards.
I had a Mavic Pro. In the 1,000 flights I did with it I had maybe 20 inflight gimbal resets. All were using Samsung 64GB card. I traded the Pro for a Platinum.
I removed the shipped Sandisk16GB and swapped it out for my "trusty" 64GB that had been in the Pro. Very First flight with brand new Platinum had a gimbal reset ! So I have relegated the 64GB card to my Canon SLR and put the original Sandisk 16GB back in. It has not missed a beat since then.

my gimbal reset problem...

every flights, every time, between 8 and 30 seconds...
That's exactly what used to happen to mine. Couldn't fix it myself I'm afraid. I ended up returning it to the store and exchanging for a new one as I didn't not want to send back to DJI. Can you still return it?

Some test with these 3 micro sd cards:

PNY Pro Elite uhs3 64gb
Lexar 633x uhs1 16gb
Samsung Evo Select uhs3 64gb

2.7k 24fps ok.
2.7k 30fps ok.
4k 3840 24fps fail.
4k 3840 30fps fail.
4k 4096 24fps ok.

Same for all, always mov video, i dont know why in k 3840 fail with all class of microsd cards but with that i think is a software issue and not a harware issue, that cause 4k 4096 need more space than others.

Other things:

App 4.2.6
Aircraft 01.04.0300
Rc 01.04.0300

Phone Motorola Moto G5S Plus.

Hope help someone.

eec6680be175cf2485ed51367b8b8207.jpg
98ee073474933b07222b8b0ce55e5d39.jpg

Very short video of the gimbal reseting in flight. This file was "in between" two others. Strange.
Hey Alan. I Had this started happening about 2 weeks after I received my Mavic in oct 2017. After many searches and questions I eliminated the problem by taking the 64 gig card out of the Mavic and replace if it with my old 16 gig card that came with the bird or my new 32 gig card. Has something to do with the 64 gig card being formatted at 64 bits. I have flown over 50 flights without issues since switching the cards. Hope this helps.

At 4096 24fps how was your movement. Did try a drastic maneuver?? Because in my test a steady or hovering mp will not result to gimbal resets

Happened to me also. However when I switch out batteries I make sure I turn off the controller also. That seems to ensure that the gimble will recalibrate on start up. If I just swap the battery and leave the controller on the gimble may or may not calibrate on the ground and wind up doing it in mid air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423