DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles turned up but.........

Peregrine

Reactions
...... I think I must be the only one who is a little unimpressed. Firstly, I had an absolute nightmare trying to activate the goggles. Kept going through the sequence only for it to fail at the last hurdle each time. Tried to get some help online, but both this forum, and the phantom forum, were both down for me, and google yielded nothing. After a lot of faffing about, I eventually downloaded Assistant 2. Once downloaded, I then needed 3 attempts, but I eventually got there. Assistant 2 isn't the most intuitive pieces of software I've ever used, and there was no help coming from the goggles manual.

The goggles themselves seem quite heavy. When they are "flipped up", they feel very precarious. If I were to look up, I'd fully expect the goggles to go a-tumbling. It's probably due to my head shape/size. Also, when I attempt to adjust the headband, it pivots the goggles away from my face allowing light to stream in. So I cannot get a good compromise between sight and fit at the moment. The advertised 280-odd inch screen, viewed from 3 metres away, seems a tad optimistic too. To me it feels no bigger than my 55" telly, viewed from 2 metres away. Not bad, but certainly not the imax experience people have been alluding to.

More worrying, is that without wearing my reading glasses, everything is a blurry mess. I thought that they had a focal point some distance away. I don't wear glasses for general use, as my eyesight is fine. I have owned Fat Sharks, and currently own an Oculus Rift. Both are pin-sharp without glasses. I really feel that, for £499, they could have included focus adjustment , not just IPD.

It's quite windy here at present, so I have only had a little hovering session. Maybe I shall fall in love with them when I fly the Mavic properly.

Reactions: FearMe
Thanks for the update. My goggles are to be delivered on Thursday according to FedEx and I too fear that the weight may be a concern.

I think they feel cumbersome to me, because the headband doesn't agree with my head. It just all feels top-heavy, and insecure when flipped up. You'll probably get along fine with them. I think I am very much in a minority, lol.

Reactions: ckizer
I agree 100% about the focal plane, it is WAY too close. I estimate 9" on mine and I want to find out if it is the same with other users.

I don't wear glasses but I now realise I cant focus on anything closer than 11", not a problem in normal life, I dont hold books newspapers etc that close to my face.
I will need to get reading glasses to use these goggles. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozz
....Tried to get some help online, but both this forum, and the phantom forum, were both down for me, and google yielded nothing. ...

Nothing to add about the goggles, sorry... but it's good to know why the board went down. I see you have the same kind of affect on things that I do. I can single-handedly bring down all the cash registers in a store. Only happens when I'm really in a hurry with a new toy I want to play with.

Reactions: Peregrine
Nothing to add about the goggles, sorry... but it's good to know why the board went down. I see you have the same kind of affect on things that I do. I can single-handedly bring down all the cash registers in a store. Only happens when I'm really in a hurry with a new toy I want to play with.

Haha. I thought I was the only cursed one :D

...... I think I must be the only one who is a little unimpressed. Firstly, I had an absolute nightmare trying to activate the goggles. Kept going through the sequence only for it to fail at the last hurdle each time. Tried to get some help online, but both this forum, and the phantom forum, were both down for me, and google yielded nothing. After a lot of faffing about, I eventually downloaded Assistant 2. Once downloaded, I then needed 3 attempts, but I eventually got there. Assistant 2 isn't the most intuitive pieces of software I've ever used, and there was no help coming from the goggles manual.

The goggles themselves seem quite heavy. When they are "flipped up", they feel very precarious. If I were to look up, I'd fully expect the goggles to go a-tumbling. It's probably due to my head shape/size. Also, when I attempt to adjust the headband, it pivots the goggles away from my face allowing light to stream in. So I cannot get a good compromise between sight and fit at the moment. The advertised 280-odd inch screen, viewed from 3 metres away, seems a tad optimistic too. To me it feels no bigger than my 55" telly, viewed from 2 metres away. Not bad, but certainly not the imax experience people have been alluding to.

More worrying, is that without wearing my reading glasses, everything is a blurry mess. I thought that they had a focal point some distance away. I don't wear glasses for general use, as my eyesight is fine. I have owned Fat Sharks, and currently own an Oculus Rift. Both are pin-sharp without glasses. I really feel that, for £499, they could have included focus adjustment , not just IPD.

It's quite windy here at present, so I have only had a little hovering session. Maybe I shall fall in love with them when I fly the Mavic properly.

I too had issues during the activation process with the goggles. It is not apparent that you have to be signed into your DJI account inside the DJI GO app. If you're not signed into the app with your DJI account, the activation mysteriously fails.
Hope this helps people going through the same issue.

I started a new thread trying to help folks having issues activating their goggles on mobile devices.
Having problems linking or activating your new goggles ?

Last edited:
I feel your pain, focal distance is too close, also need to use reading glasses which works but they allow way too much light to stream in and kinda ruin the whole deal, had a play in the garden and a quick fly but not overly impressed, but like you i need a good outing and fly before they go on ebay!.

Do guys feel these were a little rushed to the marketplace after you have tested them ? I also feared the required use of readers with them , thankfully I can use my Fatshark with my phantom and no readers required.
Maybe an update to the firmware will correct this ? Somehow I doubt it based on DJI's current track record.
Good Luck

Reactions: taptofocus
Do guys feel these were a little rushed to the marketplace after you have tested them ? I also feared the required use of readers with them , thankfully I can use my Fatshark with my phantom and no readers required.
Maybe an update to the firmware will correct this ? Somehow I doubt it based on DJI's current track record.
Good Luck
Rushed? DJI first displayed them when the Mavic promo came out last year.

Reactions: sirrraj
...... I think I must be the only one who is a little unimpressed. Firstly, I had an absolute nightmare trying to activate the goggles. Kept going through the sequence only for it tMaybe I shall fall in love with them when I fly the Mavic properly.

What about the screen door effect compared to oculus or vive?

You are on the frontier, folks! Hang in there and don't lose hope.

Reactions: macvipersd
So what , does not mean that they improved them since they were first unveiled!
Not questioning whether or not any improvements had been made. Just stating that IMO 8+ months from the time they were first displayed until delivered doesn't constitute "rushed".

Reactions: sirrraj
I shouldn't worry, I'm sure you'll be happy. The general consensus is overwhelmingly positive. It just turns out that I've got the wrong eyes, and the wrong head :oops:

I'm extremely nearsighted with everything as far as a foot away being blurry.

Put a headband on or jam a sock in it. LMAO

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre