DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to use my drone for fishing in destin i have questions

Wargoddragon

Reactions
I'm going fishing and plan to use my drone to carry baits out. Anyone on here done this in destin? If so do I have to get a laanc for those flights even if I'm only like 25 ft up

Check to make sure your state even allows this. Different states have different laws on the use of drones in fishing and hunting.

To answer your questions, what is destin?
And if destin is in controlled air space, then yes you would need LAANC even if your are like 25' and up.

Happy fishing.

Reactions: bitsbytes
I'm going fishing and plan to use my drone to carry baits out. Anyone on here done this in destin? If so do I have to get a laanc for those flights even if I'm only like 25 ft up
Any drone flights in controlled airspace must get LAANC approval especially the commercial flights that it sounds like you intend to make. ;)

I haven't looked but if the area has an airspace restriction of "0" feet, you may not be able to do it at all. In addition, it doesn't matter what you will be doing, if you fly your drone all airspace rules apply

Destin, FL has multiple restrictions. Check it out n B4UFly. So, it looks like a no-go for drone flights.

The western part of Destin is within 5 linear miles of Elgin airforce base, and within a mile of the Destin airport. In both instances according to the FAA prior notification must be made to them before you fly irrespective of any local ordinances.

Check to make sure your state even allows this. Different states have different laws on the use of drones in fishing and hunting.

And if destin is in controlled air space, then yes you would need LAANC even if your are like 25' and up.

Happy fishing.
Thanks yeah florida allows you to fly bait out which is a game changer for beach fishing for sure

The western part of Destin is within 5 linear miles of Elgin airforce base, and within a mile of the Destin airport. In both instances according to the FAA prior notification must be made to them before you fly irrespective of any local ordinances.
Is there any area of destin a drone can even be flown in? Kinda seems crazy to have everywhere restricted

Reactions: landmark orbiter
I haven't looked but if the area has an airspace restriction of "0" feet, you may not be able to do it at all. In addition, it doesn't matter what you will be doing, if you fly your drone all airspace rules apply
Trying to get pre approved for laanc but not looking good on aloft app

Happy fishing.
Destin is on the FL pan handle coast, beautiful white sandy beaches, crystal clear water with easy access (no pets anywhere on the beach). I prefer Destin over Hawaii because it's closer and less crowded. :)

I've been down the beach in Panama City Beach many times over the years. Another thing to look out for are Coast Guard helicopters and banner-towing planes that frequent the area.

Reactions: Dbez1
As far as I'm seeing may have to drive o er to Panama city Beach to use my drone. So I'm sure it will be worth the drive the days we go over there I have one reel with over 1000 yards of line on it and the others have like 300 so being able to fly the baits out will be awesome I believe

SmartSelect_20231016_222208_Air Control.jpg
Looks like no go to me. Heavy military. Just go to aloft, and look at map. Then check local law, you might have to be part 107, the way they wrote some of laws by gulf shores.

Destin is a no-fly, (son has a home there) too many restricted zones but PCB is great. I fly and drop baits there occasionally with my Phantoms. Just keep it below 200' like most FL beaches. Avoids the manned craft.

Destin is a no-fly, (son has a home there) too many restricted zones but PCB is great. I fly and drop baits there occasionally with my Phantoms. Just keep it below 200' like most FL beaches. Avoids the manned craft.
just watch out for the blue angels training.. they regularly make 100ft passes over pensacola beach when training.

not looking good for Destin - red means no LAANC. and all 0ft restrictions there, so even using dronezone you most likely wont get approval. but you can always ask - use droenzone to put in for an altitude waiver.

1697901887311.png

pensacola beach, panama zity, and perdidio are your next closest options and they dont even require LAANC approval

I live in NM i can,t even imagine having yo do such things may not be good advice but just take it and go fishing , you shouldn,t have to bother anyone to do that

There are a lot of height restrictions and warning zones (yellow), but if you keep it low, there are some places you can fly. You will not be able to fly in the red circle. Watch some videos on launching from a boat and flying over water. It's a great place to easily lose a drone.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.29.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.29.12 AM.png
    348.4 KB · Views: 2
As shown PCB is good but not when SE of the pass (another airbase). Going W from there gets very tough to fly. The jetty at E end of PCB is a great place to catch reds by drone. Not too busy on weekdays.
20211124_124737.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1