DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to use my drone for fishing in destin i have questions

The western part of Destin is within 5 linear miles of Elgin airforce base, and within a mile of the Destin airport. In both instances according to the FAA prior notification must be made to them before you fly irrespective of any local ordinances.
It's a matter of FAA airspace designations rather than distance from airports. The Destin area has a 0' ceiling for drone operations. LAANC services are not available.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 162116.jpgScreenshot 2023-10-23 161946.jpg

Reactions: NoBozos
I live in NM i can,t even imagine having yo do such things may not be good advice but just take it and go fishing , you shouldn,t have to bother anyone to do that
Uh, 'may not be good advice'? I think you mean "This bad advice may get you in serious trouble. Even in NM, you can't just fly wherever you want. If you tried to fly over White Sands Missile Range, Kirtland AFB, KABQ Sun Port, or the Balloon Fiesta, you'd be in serious trouble.
Don't be that guy.

I'm going fishing and plan to use my drone to carry baits out. Anyone on here done this in destin? If so do I have to get a laanc for those flights even if I'm only like 25 ft up
Late Update for the OP: It Is Illegal to use your drone while fishing in Florida. You should contact your states Fish and Wildlife Dept. and ask for the Rules for using Drones and-- Especially CAMERA Drones while fishing. Some states require a very hard to get permit to "drop" bait with a drone. your problem is not the baiting but the fact you could "spot" your fish with your camera from the air.

Late Update for the OP: It Is Illegal to use your drone while fishing in Florida. You should contact your states Fish and Wildlife Dept. and ask for the Rules for using Drones and-- Especially CAMERA Drones while fishing. Some states require a very hard to get permit to "drop" bait with a drone. your problem is not the baiting but the fact you could "spot" your fish with your
Drone fishing has been popular in Florida for years. I've never had trouble from law enforcement while drone fishing all around the state. They do have discretion so be courteous, avoid confrontation, and avoid the beaches inside no-fly zones or with local drone restrictions. Remember the 200' altitude limit too.

I found this information out Today ( I am not sure about the second quote its not mine I am not from Florida.?)
You live in the state so maybe you can help to clarify.

Any aircraft with cameras are prohibited from fishing in Florida without a permit- As stated above its not so much illegal to drop bait in the water as much as it is illegal to use a camera to "spot" your fish.
Florida has regulations against using aircraft for fishing to prevent scouting from the air (Florida Gear Specifications and Prohibited Gear).
However, they do not have set regulations on baiting. If you are seen using a drone with a camera you could be suspected of using your drone to "spot" your fish.:
68B-4.013 Limitation on Use of Spotter Planes.
Beginning January 1, 1993, no person shall harvest any marine fish in any waters of the state with the aid of any spotter plane, except for those species allowed to be harvested with a purse seine pursuant to paragraph 68B-4.0083(1)(c), F.A.C.

I found this information out Today ( I am not sure about the second quote its not mine I am not from Florida.?)
You live in the state so maybe you can help to clarify.

Any aircraft with cameras are prohibited from fishing in Florida without a permit- As stated above its not so much illegal to drop bait in the water as much as it is illegal to use a camera to "spot" your fish.
Florida has regulations against using aircraft for fishing to prevent scouting from the air (Florida Gear Specifications and Prohibited Gear).
However, they do not have set regulations on baiting. If you are seen using a drone with a camera you could be suspected of using your drone to "spot" your fish.:
68B-4.013 Limitation on Use of Spotter Planes.
Beginning January 1, 1993, no person shall harvest any marine fish in any waters of the state with the aid of any spotter plane, except for those species allowed to be harvested with a purse seine pursuant to paragraph 68B-4.0083(1)(c), F.A.C.

My question/problem is this. If the above said aircraft I would say there may be an issue. A multi-rotor is an aircraft, but not a plane.

My question/problem is this. If the above said aircraft I would say there may be an issue. A multi-rotor is an aircraft, but not a plane.
I you get to a point where you are trying to explain to a judge the difference between a plane, an aircraft, a sUAS and a drone, then you've already spent a lot of money on the ticket you got for spotting fish. Let us know how that goes.

...If you are seen using a drone with a camera you could be suspected of using your drone to "spot" your fish...
I wonder if you could rig a lens cover for the camera in order to avoid this...? I assume that the obstacle avoidance cameras would not be considered as equipment used for "spotting".

Also, forgive me but I'm completely ignorant on pretty much all matters fishing related, yet I'm also curious. What does it mean to use a drone to "drop bait"? Do you drop a bunch of bait in the water and then cast a line where you did that in the hopes of snagging fish that are congregating there? Or...?

Reactions: Cafguy
I wonder if you could rig a lens cover for the camera in order to avoid this...? I assume that the obstacle avoidance cameras would not be considered as equipment used for "spotting".

Also, forgive me but I'm completely ignorant on pretty much all matters fishing related, yet I'm also curious. What does it mean to use a drone to "drop bait"? Do you drop a bunch of bait in the water and then cast a line where you did that in the hopes of snagging fish that are congregating there? Or...?
You can purchase a remote payload dropping device and put your bait or lure on it -Fly the drone out a ways and hit the drop button. BUT this brings up an entirely different problem -You see it is Illegal to drop an object from any aircraft if that object could cause harm or injury to another person or any wildlife So Check your states laws Carefully before you use these payload droppers!
In some states ( California ) the piece of string used or fishing line to hold the lure or object to be dropped is considered harmful to wildlife thus making the use of the dropper itself unlawful. You should always check locally for yourself about drone fishing in your area.
A friend who works for the Government here found this info about fishing with drones because he wanted to try it on vacation. He won't be doing any drone fishing in Florida now.
and yep if you could cover the camera somehow that would make it legal---maybe.

Last edited:
You can purchase a remote payload dropping device and put your bait or lure on it -Fly the drone out a ways and hit the drop button.
That part seemed obvious. My question is: what's the point of doing this? Surely it's more than just a selfless act of feeding the fish...?

That part seemed obvious. My question is: what's the point of doing this? Surely it's more than just a selfless act of feeding the fish...?
I no longer fish Too expensive for a license in Cali! But if the "Honey Spot" for good fishing is just beyond the range you could cast I could see the temptation. To me it seems like a lot to go thru just to risk getting your drone wet and cost you money.lol

I no longer fish Too expensive for a license in Cali! But if the "Honey Spot" for good fishing is just beyond the range you could cast I could see the temptation.
Obviously I'm very obtuse - what's the point of dropping bait beyond the range that you can cast? Is it just to draw the fish in closer to your lure?

So the point is to magnanimously feed the fish? Is there anything about this that actually helps you to catch fish? If so, how?
I'm not a "fisherperson" either. But what the replies here have failed to convey is the fact that the bait that is dropped from the drone is attached to your fishing pole. Not just loose bait.

The drone takes your line, with the bait, out much farther than you can cast (sometimes hundreds of yards) before dropping it. Lots of videos out there of people using drones to fish for sharks offshore.

There are even drones especially designed for this purpose.

I'm not a "fisherperson" either. But what the replies here have failed to convey is the fact that the bait that is dropped from the drone is attached to your fishing pole. Not just loose bait.
Ah, OK, that makes a lot more sense. So it's really dropping the line, the bait just happens to be attached.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew I was missing something.

Also, done lots of CAT loss in FL. Several cities (Orange Beach, Gulf Shores) have a permit requirement to launch in the city and several have takeoff bans on the beach. Check with the city not just state.

I got called out by beach police on a fourwheeler today saying its illegal to fish on any public beach in Okaloosa county with a fishing drone. Was pretty pissed because i spent all morning getting ready to shark fish with the SwellPro Max and walked a mile down the Okaloosa Island beach and as soon as i set everything up, mr buzzkill comes speeding down the beach

I got called out by beach police on a fourwheeler today saying its illegal to fish on any public beach in Okaloosa county with a fishing drone. Was pretty pissed because i spent all morning getting ready to shark fish with the SwellPro Max and walked a mile down the Okaloosa Island beach and as soon as i set everything up, mr buzzkill comes speeding down the beach
Dang, probably should have check FWA site. Don't call him Mr Buzzkill..... it was on you for not doing a complete pre-flight.

Reactions: okw and MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4