DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good job dji, NFZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend.. do you know altitude of an aircraft that just left runaway? after few seconds of take off it reach more than 100mt.. after 1 minute is already around 1000mt... now tell me what is good about stupid dji nfz? and believe me I don't want and I don't need to fly nearby airport BUT if I live not far from an airport and I can not use FOR Fun the drone I bought even if my garden.. well that is stupid!
btw have a look:
the more you put harder restrictions the more people will find a way to bypass them![/
my friend.. do you know altitude of an aircraft that just left runaway? after few seconds of take off it reach more than 100mt.. after 1 minute is already around 1000mt... now tell me what is good about stupid dji nfz? and believe me I don't want and I don't need to fly nearby airport BUT if I live not far from an airport and I can not use FOR Fun the drone I bought even if my garden.. well that is stupid!
btw have a look:
the more you put harder restrictions the more people will find a way to bypass them!

Like...
If my memory is correct this same information was taken down from this site. Thinking not a good idea to bypass dji software.

Wow! Name calling, that's helpful:(.

I know of no major incident caused by a drone. Nevertheless, are you implying an incident can't happen? I don't want to be the first person to cause or be on the receiving end of an incident.

Perhaps my "Safety View" stems from serving in the Navy Airforce working on aircraft. One night while on the flight deck a young sailor walked into a spinning propeller. He was short cutting safety procedures.

I also was a SCUBA diver and followed safety procedures. My and dive buddies safety depended on good safe decisions.

As a Manager Human Resources, I've been responsible for writing safety procedures. Gives me the "What if outlook."

A DUI driver crossed road center line and hit me on my motorcycle, 50 mph zone. Two cardiac arrest, 11 days induced coma, 9 operations, kidney dialysis, 6 months hospital and rehab centers, and two more months home physically therapy before I had the strength to walk upstairs to my bedroom.
Someone's poor decision changed my life.

I don't believe in accidents! Most Incidents happen because of decisions made.

I Also realize many gray areas in young drone sport and Political pressure has the ability to stifle drone flying.

Just trying to say, "Fly Safe My Friend"
So, what you're actually saying is that the extreme circumstances that have occurred in your life and those that you've witnessed should translate to everyone else in the overblown sense that you feel necessary?

I wasn't implying an accident can't happen or implying anything for that matter. I said directly, that your drone catching on the breeze and getting in the path of an air show airplane was basically nuts in my book and so illogical that it feeds the negative stereotypes of drones.

Also, an overblown sense of safety in the name of being compliant to laws that don't exsist is detrimental to your "hobby" and scares idiots that have zero knowledge of drones except from the rantings of individuals such as yourself and a large majority of others on this board.

Think about it.

I'm sure by your logic that alcohol should be banned less some idiot get behind the wheel and cause another DUI related accident. While we're at it, let's ban cars! Guns too because people use guns to kill everyday ( I see it constantly) and therefore am a self appointment authority on how to apply it to all to live up to my standards!

I know you mean well, but scary what if senarios and fear mongering will only lead to more "laws" and rules and company self restriction due to pure overblown ignorance of the public and law makers alike. Small commercial drones are truly not that dangerous and not every "pilot" a complete idiot. You can't legislate the dangers out everything. We live in a free society where no ones cares of your personal feelings.

Believe me bro, being a cop for the last 10 years has taught me ALOT about people and truly what they are capable of, both negative and positive. I've seen a lot but try to be as professional as possible and DONT blame others or have an overboard sense of what if? I leave work and what I've seen to work and don't apply it to everyday life or I would go nuts myself.

Last edited:
Wow! Name calling, that's helpful:(.

I know of no major incident caused by a drone. Nevertheless, are you implying an incident can't happen? I don't want to be the first person to cause or be on the receiving end of an incident.

Perhaps my "Safety View" stems from serving in the Navy Airforce working on aircraft. One night while on the flight deck a young sailor walked into a spinning propeller. He was short cutting safety procedures.

I also was a SCUBA diver and followed safety procedures. My and dive buddies safety depended on good safe decisions.

As a Manager Human Resources, I've been responsible for writing safety procedures. Gives me the "What if outlook."

A DUI driver crossed road center line and hit me on my motorcycle, 50 mph zone. Two cardiac arrest, 11 days induced coma, 9 operations, kidney dialysis, 6 months hospital and rehab centers, and two more months home physically therapy before I had the strength to walk upstairs to my bedroom.
Someone's poor decision changed my life.

I don't believe in accidents! Most Incidents happen because of decisions made.

I Also realize many gray areas in young drone sport and Political pressure has the ability to stifle drone flying.

Just trying to say, "Fly Safe My Friend"

I don't agree with name calling either but I agree with some of the sentiment. I'm also ex military, a motorcycle rider and have had extensive surgeries, physical therapy, etc so I can really see your side of this. However, a 1 or 2 lb drone isn't a F-18, or a car and you're not going to suffocate if you don't double check a battery!

Some guys take this WAY too seriously and act like they're launching an Apollo mission every time they take a pic of their pond out back and some guys take it to lightly and act as if it's no different than playing catch with their kid. There has to be a middle ground. I completely agree that you shouldn't fly over airports, crowds, etc. I don't get the 400' thing or disabling your drone within 5 miles of a little used private air field.

Reactions: jcp411
What I would like to clarify on these NFZs is what actually happens if you are outside a NFZ flying and encounter the zone. Does it warn you that you are entering one or do you get a forced Landing with no choice.
No one has yet stated exactly what happens apart from some posts regarding crashes into water.
Well I went to my only NFZ here to find out for myself . Is a prison/SO.
I sat the bird in the back of my truck across the street and was in the red and would not spin up after powering up .
nfz.jpg Without powering down I backed up out of it and was good to take off NFZ1.jpg There was warnings pop up as I flew towards the red and did so low to start with but when it hit that circle it just stopped moving forward . I could like yaw left or right with some forward stick and almost do a POI but didn't try it .
Now it just hovered when it hit that circle and tried it several times .
Autoland ..no and not sure what it would have done if I had sat there till low battery . I guess it would just go into RTH and will try again later.Just not enough time this morning .
The SO
jail.jpg as close as I could get .

Have you contacted and tryed to set up ongoing flight ability?

No, I just got my Mavic and my other platforms don't require any such things. I call the control tower (I'm actually security badged to go anywhere in any airport) get permission and fly. It's a little off putting that I somehow need to get permission from a company in Communist China to fly my drone anywhere here in the U.S. That's actually one of the reasons that I delayed getting a Mavic in the first place.

Reactions: jcp411 and wayy510
unfortunately the way you think is not like being the best cool breeze, indeed the idea of that video was to show the other side of being in a fly zone where actually there is NO DANGER at all.. cause you are in your own house, with the drone you bought and you can't even make yourself a **** selfie cause dji has decided so! that it's ridiculous! imagine you by your car from Ford and tomorrow Mr Ford decide that cars has to be grounded in Houston..?? if government or high authorities decide something like that i can understand but a company that sells products can not decide what i'll be doing with that item but can give me some hints how to use it without creating any sort of danger/damage to anyone!

Reactions: wayy510
I find it incredible that a drone manufacturer like DJI have been able to make globally marketed products that go some way in an attempt to comply with "rules/regulations/laws" in an international world wide market. They realise that for this hobby/interest/profession to continue to provide profits for the company, it needs to comply with standards set by different countries around the world. I believe it's this decision that is keeping the hopes for the hobbyist alive to continue to fly their drones. Not all countries are the same, but DJI work towards trying to satisfy those countries by showing that efforts are being made with regard to safety and self policing. I realise DJI are trying to protect their business interests which I for one am happy for them to carry on doing by implementing such policies.

It's not that impossible to fly your drone in a safe environment not too far away from your home if you fall within an NFZ.

Reactions: BigDuke6ixx
So, what you're actually saying is that the extreme circumstances that have occurred in your life and those that you've witnessed should translate to everyone else in the overblown sense that you feel necessary?

I was emplying an accident can't happen or emplying anything for that matter. I said directly, that your drone catching on the breeze and getting in the path of an air show airplane was basically nuts in my book and sense so illogical that it feeds the negative stereotypes of drones.

Also, an overblown sense of safety in the name of being compliant to laws that don't exsist is detrimental to your "hobby" and scares idiots that have zero knowledge of drones except from the rantings of individuals such as yourself on this board and others.

Think about it.

I'm sure by your logic that alcohol should be banned less some idiot get behind the wheel and cause another DUI related accident. While we're at it, let's ban cars! Guns too because people use guns to kill everyday ( I see it constantly) and therefore a self appointment authority on how to apply it to all to live up to my standards!

I know you mean to do good but scary what if senarios and fear mongering will only lead to more "laws" and rules and company self restriction due to pure overblown ignorance of the public and law makers alike. Small commercial drones are truly not that dangerous and not every "pilot" a complete idiot. You can't legislate the dangers out everything. We live in a free society where no ones cares of your personal feelings.

Believe me bro, being a cop for the last 10 years has taught me ALOT about people and truly what they are capable of, both negative and positive. I've seen a lot but try to be as professional as possible and DONT blame others or have an overboard sense of what if? I leave work and what I've seen to work and don't apply it to everyday life or I would go nuts myself.

Yea I've done three tours of combat in the middle east and have seen what "people" are capable of. I've often wondered why some sandy doesn't strap a half pound of C-4 to a drone and fly it into the White House or whatever. With that "what if" possibility out there, I guess we should ban private drones period, right? Oh and commercial trucks, cars, butcher knives, etc. I'm all about personal responsibility, if you are stupid and fly your drone into a crowd of people, you should face some consequences. Trying to legislate stupid out of people is a waste of time!

I'd like to see a variance on flying in a NFZ requiring the pilot to switch to beginner mode allowing limited flight, but with restrictions so you can still use it.

Dang, you said it way better than I did! I'm cool with that idea!

I find it incredible that a drone manufacturer like DJI have been able to make globally marketed products that go some way in an attempt to comply with "rules/regulations/laws" in an international world wide market. They realise that for this hobby/interest/profession to continue to provide profits for the company, it needs to comply with standards set by different countries around the world. I believe it's this decision that is keeping the hopes for the hobbyist alive to continue to fly their drones. Not all countries are the same, but DJI work towards trying to satisfy those countries by showing that efforts are being made with regard to safety and self policing. I realise DJI are trying to protect their business interests which I for one am happy for them to carry on doing by implementing such policies.

It's not that impossible to fly your drone in a safe environment not too far away from your home if you fall within an NFZ.

See by that logic, all of the automobile companies should keep their cars from going over the speed limit. Actually, I've often wondered why they don't... It would be easy to design a GPS system that regulated your car's top speed based on location.

Reactions: jcp411
Yea I've done three tours of combat in the middle east and have seen what "people" are capable of. I've often wondered why some sandy doesn't strap a half pound of C-4 to a drone and fly it into the White House or whatever. With that "what if" possibility out there, I guess we should ban private drones period, right? Oh and commercial trucks, cars, butcher knives, etc. I'm all about personal responsibility, if you are stupid and fly your drone into a crowd of people, you should face some consequences. Trying to legislate stupid out of people is a waste of time!
Exactly. I'm still waiting for someone to point out any drone that caused a fatality. It's funny, all these fear mongering people out there that want to restrict drones when they haven't killed anyone but preach how they could.

I would bet a good majority of drone police drink some form of alcohol and or smoke cigarettes, both of which are completely legal and kill tens of thousands every year but are silent to that fact. Funny huh?

Save the self righteous crusade for something that matters.

If someone is an idiot with their drone then they will be punished via applicable law/regulation. But, don't try to regulate and punish everyone because what something/someone is capable of.

They need to stop thinking they are true pilots with a 50 point "pre-flight" checklist and rethink their overboard assessment on the dangers of a 2 lb drone. Take a look at the complete over reaction of the Canadian Government towards drones.

Hate to break it to all the doomsayers but the Mavic and drones like it are basically commercial toys and not tomahawk cruise missiles waiting to down every plane or blow up the White House.

Last edited:
I sat the bird in the back of my truck across the street and was in the red and would not spin up after powering up .
View attachment 18358 Without powering down I backed up out of it and was good to take off View attachment 18359 There was warnings pop up as I flew towards the red and did so low to start with but when it hit that circle it just stopped moving forward . I could like yaw left or right with some forward stick and almost do a POI but didn't try it .
Autoland ..no and not sure what it would have done if I had sat there till low battery . I guess it would just go into RTH and will try again later.Just not enough time this morning .
The SO
View attachment 18360 as close as I could get .

I'm sure your experiment answers a lot of questions. Am I correct that you could not turn around or back out of area?
Good to know information and a clever way to find out. Thanks.

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm sure your experiment answers a lot of questions. Am I correct that you could not turn around or back out of area?
Good to know information and a clever way to find out. Thanks.
Yes I could go back I just couldn't go in . When it stopped I backed up and hit it several more times then just turned around and came back .
I was standing right at it under it in case it went nuts .
Also I am on the latest firmware .
I had read in PP about all the hitting that zone and auto landing and just had to see for myself .With this firmware it does't from what I saw this morning .

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Of course you can. It's just like a virtual wall, when you bump into it it stops, you can back off or fly around but just not cross it.
Widely documented too.

The weird situations that have been reported that caused landings are if the aircraft is not aware of the zone before entering it, and learns about it while inside - in that case it forced landed in place.
Requires a pretty complex set of coincidences with the system not being up to date, a new zone being added/modified, you happening to be in it, and being connected to internet on site but having a spotty enough connection so that the update didn't get to happen during preparation and only did so while flying.

And that behavior may have been fixed in later versions since that was reported as we didn't see much of it for a couple of months now.

Would probably happen too if you managed to somehow manually force it into the zone...

I think what scares a lot of people including various officials and Governing bodies, is that the Mavic is a very capable but complex machine.
It is also available to the common man.
Much like the first Ford automobiles.
No longer the province of the rich elite.
It scares them that we can now have in our hands something with so much potential, real or imagined.
DJI have produced this and I believe they did not realise how potent it is.
Not talking major mayhem like a lot of posters here.
Now though they cannot put the genie back in the bottle but instead are trying to rein in the capabilities somewhat, that's why the Spark was released as a downgraded alternative.
Maybe we will see future iterations of the common drone having severally restricted range and height factored in that cannot be altered.
To buy a more powerful drone will require a licence with registration at point of sale.
This is either an exciting time or a frustrating/annoying time depending on your viewpoint.

Yes I could go back I just couldn't go in . When it stopped I backed up and hit it several more times then just turned around and came back .
I was standing right at it under it in case it went nuts .
Also I am on the latest firmware .
I had read in PP about all the hitting that zone and auto landing and just had to see for myself .With this firmware it does't from what I saw this morning .

Thumbswayup I found it hard to believe Mavic would just land if in NFZ. Good to hear person can retreat from area.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
View attachment 18358 Without powering down I backed up out of it and was good to take off View attachment 18359 There was warnings pop up as I flew towards the red and did so low to start with but when it hit that circle it just stopped moving forward . I could like yaw left or right with some forward stick and almost do a POI but didn't try it .
The SO
View attachment 18360 as close as I could get .
@dirkclod Are you on the latest firmware and app? Just trying to figure out the different scenarios with different versions so I can make prudent decisions on to wether to upgrade or not. Thanks[emoji15]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569