DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gross negligence in South Florida

Zeprider

Reactions
I live a mile from this pier. This kid is not the brightest color in the Crayon box. That is a crowded pier in a 0 AGL restricted NFZ, about 2,800 feet south of FLL 28L approach.

Heck, I'd love to video the Dania Beach Blvd Intracoastal bridge but even that's off limits. My own community is literally divided between 0 and 200 AGL. Most annoying but luckily every park in Broward county permits flying drones.

Dania Beach, Florida - 14 Year old with a drone on Dania Beach Pier

Reactions: Torque and Cafguy
Good lesson.. In many ways here JR. our "hero" violates many laws ( If it was a dji he was using a camera equipped drone to fish in Florida ( Not Legal in that State !!!).
To punish himself JR then attempts a hand landing that goes terribly wrong. ( but probably a little humorous for those who don't mind the site of blood).
I would have pointed out the law that restricts camera drones from fishing in Florida and reported him.
One should always plan your flight to include ALL research into how and where it will be conducted.
Even if the injury was his- He is now involved in an accident that caused injury and it will certainly get investigated. I feel for the parents that will end up with the financial burden.

From the opening sentence of the news article, ".... was injured by the propeller blades of a fishing pier in".....

Blimey, the pier must have some motors.

I do wish news organisations would proof read their copy
Seriously. It's all data. It can be changed in a heartbeat. Back in the day all type was proofread before committing to presses; it was a rarity to find a missprint. Today, it's lazy, get-it-out-there reporting.

Reactions: MA2 317
From the opening sentence of the news article, ".... was injured by the propeller blades of a fishing pier in".....

LOL yeah, I caught that as well.

Reactions: sarahb
A play on words given the bloody mess.
"hiding it in/under a cooler" Stupid is as stupid does.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the kid got hurt and pray he recovers from his injuries in a short fashion. But, I also hope he learned a valuable lesson as well.

Reactions: sarahb
Was he injured from trying to hand-catch or from the attempted fishing?

But it does say he was injured as he was "flying the drone back to him".
His wrist and finger being cut suggests to me an attempted hand catch of something like one of the bigger Mavic style drones. I've clipped my wrist with a mavic 2 ..... once and only once, it didn't draw blood but was eye opener.

With a phantom and a leg catch it tends to be the thumb that is at risk.

Oh and drone takes the line out to the Fishes well I guess thats correct but I always thought fish was both singular and plural

Oh and drone takes the line out to the Fishes well I guess thats correct but I always thought fish was both singular and plural
My marine biologist friend tells me that "fishes" refers to multiple species of fish, while "fish" is both singular and plural for talking about what we caught or what's for dinner. So, someone "sleeping with the fishes" is having an affair with multiple species of fish.

That article reads like it was written by AI or by someone whose first language is not English. And they talked about and quoted "James" without ever identifying him.

Last edited:

It was an awful piece of writting

Well, they say stupid is supposed to hurt, so... 🤷‍♂️

Yes. Several issues in the writing. I see that more and more in on-line news.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

Proofreading would only inhibit their imagination. Don’t they have editors for that? 😙

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu