DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had cursor on "Complete Purchase," but this scared me

not so really,current firmware is never ending,due to endless variables some users are better off staying at a certain firmware,one example is your good with this firmware version but the next one may screw everything up

not so really,current firmware is never ending,due to endless variables some users are better off staying at a certain firmware,one example is your good with this firmware version but the next one may screw everything up
Have an example of everything screwed up? Then maybe we could find out if its the data or the user or the hardware.
I read almost everything here. The only thing I have seen reported as "screwed up" was the introduction of NFZ's or altitude limits. Everything else seems to be user or device or the dreaded human error.

First of all, the OP was speaking to the fact that he didn't want to be controlled by DJI. I answered him suggesting that he rollback his firmware and stick with that, as it would resolve his concern. You blasted back and said that you should upgrade (which wouldn't resolve his concern) and trying to rollback firmware was a messy venture and caused people to return to this forum complaining on how to fix something they screwed up. I disagreed. The process is easy and once it's done, there's no need to do anything else (ever). There won't be issues if you don't need to mess with it.

You accused me of bashing those that updated all the time (I didn't), noting that you have never had a problem with updating. I'm suggesting that there are plenty of reasons not to update and it's an equally valid thing to do. I'm glad that you have been fortunate with your updates, but there are many people that have had significant issues. Simply do a search on this forum and you'll come up with 100's of examples. Or people that have been locked out of their Mavics when trying to fly them at special moments/locations. DJI has changed camera protocols, changed operator requirements, has injected software bugs (not intentionally) into their code that caused further issues that need to be fixed with later patches, has instituted a much greater heavy-handed control of the operation of their drones, as well as introduced new features and tweaks. If you think the trade-off between better/more features at the expense of the freedom to operate your drone when/where/how you want is a fair trade, then by all means, upgrade your firmware as you see fit. However, there are those folks that don't believe this trade-off is worth it or don't want to risk injecting problems into a properly functioning system and wish to stick with older firmware.

Neither choice is "better" than the other - just different. However, the OP was asking about maintaining his freedom of choice - and rolling back firmware gives him the exact thing he was requesting.

Reactions: Zdude70 and Youser
if nothing was the firmware[dji's] fault,,,then why is there constant updates?
nuff said,case closed.

What works for me, does not work for you. What works for you does not work for me.
Which of us gets to proclaim ourselves as the right one to listen to when giving advice?
Short answer..... Neither of us.
We gave the OP our thoughts to look into. It isnt about being right or wrong, so much as it is about There is more than one perfect solution. I dont expect to force my views on anyone, just present what I believe.
then defend myself from all the "expert" opinions that want to turn the thread into a drama.
Hopefully, the OP is smart enough to figure it out for himself. Which I believe is HIS only correct decision.

if nothing was the firmware[dji's] fault,,,then why is there constant updates?
nuff said,case closed.

LOL! Updates are more than bug fixes, there are improvements, compatability updates , and added features too Whatever firmware you are using, probably has bugs. FOR SURE if it is an older version. That is like saying what reason is there to upgrade from windows 3.2 to Windows 10....... I know you are not that dim.

Have an example of everything screwed up? Then maybe we could find out if its the data or the user or the hardware.

By way of example, there are countless threads complaining about color changes in the camera after a specific updated firmware. Some people like the changes. Others don't. No user error or hardware malfunctions. Simply parameters changed in the firmware on how the camera sensor translates data. This is how things get "screwed up". Also all settings are normally wiped when updating firmware, not something the typical user likes to have to recreate each time (especially since they can't be saved and imported). Failure to fully update (due to a myriad of problems), resulting in the need to reset things, a "bricked" Mavic, or other such problems causing the inability to fly until the mess is undone or fixed in some manner (DJI has warranty replaced numerous Mavics that were "broken" while upgrading firmware).

The list goes on and on. Yes, 1000's of users upgrade their firmware routinely and don't notice a problem or have issues. But like plastic surgery, things can go terribly wrong when you undergo unnecessary surgery. Millions of people undergo routine surgeries every day without an issue, and their choice to improve their looks is a beneficial one to them and they are happy with their choice. Others choose not to risk a potential problem during the "routine" procedure and stick with what they already have.

Me, I'll stick with my ugly-faced Mavics and fly like I'm still beautiful. :)

Well, I appreciate the lively discussion that ensued! I'm glad some of you understood what my long original post was trying to convey. My apprehension was caused by a fear of updates 1) introducing new bugs, 2) removing either capabilities or features I will have grown accustomed to, and 3) removing the ability to choose if and what to accept by way of updates. I tried to sum it up with "I don't want to feel like I'm renting my own device."

The answer, as I should have probably guessed, was that very smart people have figured out how to rollback firmware, download archived apks of the phone app, etc. I am glad to find out this sub-community of superusers exists!

Despite the differences in philosophies this thread revealed, you will all be equally happy to know that this forum has brought me back from the ledge. I've decided to "splash ma cash" as Scott70 put it. :) I'll be ordering my MPP FMC momentarily.

While I wait for it to arrive I'll be firmware shopping and looking into other details like: possible implications for using older firmware on the Platinum's new ESCs, warranty implications with installing an internal microSD card, app version selection, cold weather capabilities, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, MavicPilots!

Right on. If this is your first drone, be prepared to be blown away!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde