DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had cursor on "Complete Purchase," but this scared me

ValueTactics

Reactions
I have been on a straight path toward buying a Mavic Pro Platinum for weeks now. I have lurked around on here a bit, done the obligatory YouTube binges, and generally done my homework. I was aware that some people have had problems with the DJI GO app, but that 3rd party apps were available (mainly Litchi). I have been mainly focused on the hardware capabilities of the Mavic and the photographic aspects of the system.

This morning I had planned on pulling the trigger and buying the MPP Fly More Combo, but on a whim I decided to look up DJI GO on the google app store to make sure my phone is compatible.

Now I know that 50 people will give a bad review of an app for every 1 satisfied customer. It's just how it is: if everything is running smoothly, no one bothers to comment. I also know that with something as complex as UAS technology is bound to confuse and frustrate a higher percentage of users than most things. But WOW were there a lot of negative reviews of the DJI GO app! It has something like 2.5 stars out of 5, and many many recent reviews were scathing. Litchi was closer to 3.7 stars (which I mainly attribute to greater average technical knowledge of users who would seek out a 3rd party app), but it still had a lot of similar complains/issues as DJI GO.

That stopped me in my tracks a moment and I started digging deeper into phone requirements and other software related issues.

Full disclosure: I'm a bit of a Linux, free and open software kind of guy, although I live in the real world and realize I often have to compromise those principles for convenience sake. I was perfectly willing to do so with the Mavic and DJI GO, provided it all works smoothly. Was what I am now reading just a really bad case of sample bias, or is it safe to say that bugs, crashes, and errors are frequent and common with this stuff?

My other concern is how reliant on the internet this all is. I have read several instances of pilots being stranded with an inoperable drone because they were unable to connect to the internet to get a "required" firmware or software update. Forced updates don't sit well with me on principle, but in this case they could have real practical negative effects on the use of this expensive machine. Is there some programming that requires the drone to check for updates at certain calendar intervals, or does it only know an update is available when it gets a connection? I could easily foresee a situation where someone was away from all internet for an extended trip and would like to use the app, controller, and drone with the current settings and software/firmware versions. Is this possible?

Last but not least, I am using a 2+ year old phone, but the specs are good and I would hate to be limited with the software based on planned obsolescence rather than phone hardware limitations. (Asus Zenfone2, x86 Intel quad core 2.3 GHz version, 4GB RAM, 64GB/64GB on board and MicroSD storage).

I'm not looking for someone to convince me one way or the other, but I would appreciate honest feedback on my concerns. As of this moment I'm seriously considering waiting for the Autel Evo with the built-in 720p camera display. Would like to get drone footage on a March vacation but I also don't want endless frustration. I can handle a fair amount, but not endless :)

If losing $1200.00 on a runaway drone will prevent you from feeding your family then keep your money under your pillow. If you want to enjoy your surroundings from a fresh and completely wonderful perspective and get involved in a lifetime hobby go buy it........then spend an extra $60.00 with State Farm for total coverage against any loss and you now have a win-win situation.
Just go fly.

Jake

Ps - welcome to the forum.

Reactions: chazzm
I have been on a straight path toward buying a Mavic Pro Platinum for weeks now. I have lurked around on here a bit, done the obligatory YouTube binges, and generally done my homework. I was aware that some people have had problems with the DJI GO app, but that 3rd party apps were available (mainly Litchi). I have been mainly focused on the hardware capabilities of the Mavic and the photographic aspects of the system.

This morning I had planned on pulling the trigger and buying the MPP Fly More Combo, but on a whim I decided to look up DJI GO on the google app store to make sure my phone is compatible.

Now I know that 50 people will give a bad review of an app for every 1 satisfied customer. It's just how it is: if everything is running smoothly, no one bothers to comment. I also know that with something as complex as UAS technology is bound to confuse and frustrate a higher percentage of users than most things. But WOW were there a lot of negative reviews of the DJI GO app! It has something like 2.5 stars out of 5, and many many recent reviews were scathing. Litchi was closer to 3.7 stars (which I mainly attribute to greater average technical knowledge of users who would seek out a 3rd party app), but it still had a lot of similar complains/issues as DJI GO.

That stopped me in my tracks a moment and I started digging deeper into phone requirements and other software related issues.

Full disclosure: I'm a bit of a Linux, free and open software kind of guy, although I live in the real world and realize I often have to compromise those principles for convenience sake. I was perfectly willing to do so with the Mavic and DJI GO, provided it all works smoothly. Was what I am now reading just a really bad case of sample bias, or is it safe to say that bugs, crashes, and errors are frequent and common with this stuff?

My other concern is how reliant on the internet this all is. I have read several instances of pilots being stranded with an inoperable drone because they were unable to connect to the internet to get a "required" firmware or software update. Forced updates don't sit well with me on principle, but in this case they could have real practical negative effects on the use of this expensive machine. Is there some programming that requires the drone to check for updates at certain calendar intervals, or does it only know an update is available when it gets a connection? I could easily foresee a situation where someone was away from all internet for an extended trip and would like to use the app, controller, and drone with the current settings and software/firmware versions. Is this possible?

Last but not least, I am using a 2+ year old phone, but the specs are good and I would hate to be limited with the software based on planned obsolescence rather than phone hardware limitations. (Asus Zenfone2, x86 Intel quad core 2.3 GHz version, 4GB RAM, 64GB/64GB on board and MicroSD storage).

I'm not looking for someone to convince me one way or the other, but I would appreciate honest feedback on my concerns. As of this moment I'm seriously considering waiting for the Autel Evo with the built-in 720p camera display. Would like to get drone footage on a March vacation but I also don't want endless frustration. I can handle a fair amount, but not endless :)

I don't see your phone listed on the recommended list for devices which will ensure countless problems? Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

I know in my case, allot of the "can't connect to DJI go &/or "my drone just flies away" were due to inexpierence, not reading the manual but just skimming through it to get in the air!
Flyers who have no issues don't generally post to say so.
And, welcome to the best forum on the net!

Reactions: JamesA and LucVN
Flyers who have no issues don't generally post to say so.
This was my thought as well, and I'm willing to chalk up my concern over the app reviews to paranoia. But can anyone address the "required update" concern I have? If I'm spending $1400 on a new hobby, I don't want to feel like I'm renting the equipment from the manufacturer.

It sounds like I need to do some more research on my phone's compatibility though. The MPP is within my budget, I can probably work my way past my cold feet on some of these other concerns, but I can't see tacking on another couple hundred bucks just to get a dedicated phone for the controller. I'm going to try to find some reports of my exact phone and see how others have fared.

Reactions: borzoiboy
First question - is your phone going to be dedicated to the drone? People with dedicated devices tend to have fewer problems because of less competition for processor/memory/storage resources. I'm not sure what bloatware Asus installs in their phones but remove EVERYTHING that isn't drone related and you'll have few problems. I got a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and had nothing but problems for a few days. Then I rooted it, laid down a new ROM and since then it's been flawless and has allowed me to switch back and forth between apps (GO 4 and Drone Harmony) which is helpful. Last thing is that the learning curve on an MP is pretty steep and you want to have several weeks to figure out what not to do before watching your vacation videos and a thousand bucks fly off over the horizon.

This was my thought as well, and I'm willing to chalk up my concern over the app reviews to paranoia. But can anyone address the "required update" concern I have? If I'm spending $1400 on a new hobby, I don't want to feel like I'm renting the equipment from the manufacturer.

Buy one and roll back your firmware. Those of us operating on lower versions of the firmware do so for exactly that reason - no desire to be held at gunpoint and controlled by DJI and their "vision" of our drone usage. There are no required updates so far with the Mavic. Many of us happily hit the "ignore" button each and every time we fly.

Anyone that can install and operate a Linux OS will have no issues with rolling back the firmware. Even mixed modules. For those that don't want to "hack" their Mavic, they will be happy to upgrade as required and will be faced with the occasional shutdown due to no Internet access or failure to log in to their account. No big deal if that's when you go out to your back yard to check something out. A much bigger deal when you've traveled to the far reaches of Iceland and want to film a once-in-a-lifetime glacier you're visiting and the stupid thing won't let you fly before you log in.

Those of us using lower FW versions and older versions of the GO app do so while missing out on the "cool" new features that we can fly manually anyway and yet not missing out on the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities because DJI deemed it critical to update our software/firmware at an inopportune time. Or failed to update a NFZ, thinking that a long-shut-down airstrip is still in use and needed permission to unlock in order to fly. Or a myriad of other potential issues. Many of us are happy to fly our new MP or MPPs as if they were Mavic Pros coming out of the box back in early 2017. They flew perfectly wonderfully back then and they still do today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Youser and JamesA
Buy one and roll back your firmware. Those of us operating on lower versions of the firmware do so for exactly that reason - no desire to be held at gunpoint and controlled by DJI and their "vision" of our drone usage. There are no required updates so far with the Mavic. Many of us happily hit the "ignore" button each and every time we fly.

Anyone that can install and operate a Linux OS will have no issues with rolling back the firmware. Even mixed modules. For those that don't want to "hack" their Mavic, they will be happy to upgrade as required and will be faced with the occasional shutdown due to no Internet access or failure to log in to their account. No big deal if that's when you go out to your back yard to check something out. A much bigger deal when you've traveled to the far reaches of Iceland and want to film a once-in-a-lifetime glacier you're visiting and the stupid thing won't let you fly before you log in.

Those of us using lower FW versions and older versions of the GO app do so while missing out on the "cool" new features that we can fly manually anyway and yet not missing out on the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities because DJI deemed it critical to update our software/firmware at an inopportune time. Or failed to update a NFZ, thinking that a log-shut-down airstrip is still in use and needed permission to unlock in order to fly. Or a myriad of other potential issues. Many of us are happy to fly our new MP or MPPs as if they were Mavic Pros coming out of the box back in early 2017. They flew perfectly wonderfully back then and they still do today.
lisadoc, I like the cut of your jib.

And FW roll-backs will work fine on the MPP as well?

This is just the kind of info I'm looking for. To avoid clogging up this thread, where would be the best place to start looking for how-to guides on this?

I kind of feel like if you buy one, you will be disappointed.
It is a pretty complex item, that sometimes requires firmware updates. And some abilities are limited by the software/firmware that will make a "free and open software" minded person really upset.
Oh yes, you can "roll back" firmware, patch this, root that, download this and that. Dumbledore the crap out of things, and then post questions here on how to make things work.
if thats what you want, just do the computer part, and leave the drone out of it.

And FW roll-backs will work fine on the MPP as well?

They do now! The issue with the inability to rollback MPP firmware has been resolved by jcase and others.

This is just the kind of info I'm looking for. To avoid clogging up this thread, where would be the best place to start looking for how-to guides on this?

Here's everything you need to know.
How to rollback Mavic firmware

It has 1,000+ replies, so you might want to start near the end and work your way backward.

Everything has been laid out for you on this page:
howto:start [dji.retroroms.info]

It has links to all the ROMs, all the programs and code needed. It looks complicated but it's not. You really only need one program (like DUMLdore) and the desired firmware ROM. The rest is just other nitty-gritty stuff that can be learned as you go.

If you really want to refine your flying and start tweaking the flight parameters, go through digdat0's videos on YouTube and you'll know everything you need to:
digdat0

If you don't want to bother with all this, just pick up a MP with older firmware (I have one for sale for example) from the stock still hanging around, and don't bother updating the firmware. Then you don't have to mess with anything.

It is a pretty complex item, that sometimes requires firmware updates.
Oh yes, you can "roll back" firmware, patch this, root that, download this and that. Dumbledore the crap out of things, and then post questions here on how to make things work.

I disagree completely. The Mavic doesn't "require" firmware updates. Any more than my coffee maker "requires" updates on its firmware. It works perfectly fine if you never touch the firmware once you have it where you want it. If you want cool new "features" like the fancy new Quickshot modes or panoramas, then firmware updates are required. I know lots of folks (and I'm one of them) that have MPs with .400 or .700 firmware (or mixed modules if you want the fancy new features too) and never touch a thing and fly happily all year. That's as simple as it gets. DUMLdore is a twenty-minute process that you need to do once (just like any other firmware update) and you can do it that one time and forget about it forever.

If anything, messing with firmware updates is what causes folks to return to this forum and "then post questions here on how to make things work." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With android you can still download mapping for a large area which is called up later indefinitely without going online at all.
You can simply disable wifi on a dedicated device and Go4 will be blissfully unaware of any updates.
To be fair forced updates are very unusual, and can be avoided as hinted in previous posts.

I bought the Mavic Pro at Christmas. My firstr ever Drone. I keep everything up to date and I'm using an old iphone 6+ I have 40 odd flights and not one crash or mishap yet.
Also its a piece of Piss to fly. I couldn't recommend the Mavic highly enough. Your always going to hear horror stories whatever you buying if you look into it. I say splash ya cash and enjoy. I also have the Goggles and have had no problems with them either apart from needing more powerfull lenses.

I disagree completely. The Mavic doesn't "require" firmware updates. Any more than my coffee maker "requires" updates on its firmware. It works perfectly fine if you never touch the firmware once you have it where you want it. If you want cool new "features" like the fancy new Quickshot modes or panoramas, then firmware updates are required. I know lots of folks (and I'm one of them) that have MPs with .400 or .700 firmware (or mixed modules if you want the fancy new features too) and never touch a thing and fly happily all year. That's as simple as it gets. DUMLdore is a twenty-minute process that you need to do once (just like any other firmware update) and you can do it that one time and forget about it forever.

If anything, messing with firmware updates is what causes folks to return to this forum and "then post questions here on how to make things work." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well of course i get this response. I expected it. Kind of like how Vegans cant see the other side of the coin.

For me, there has not been a single issue with ANY firmware update I have done. Every one has made my mavic better in some way. So what does that say about people that have trouble? Is it the firmware or software? or is it their method or equipment?
I dont care if you update or not. I know people that still carry flip phones and use floppy discs. They are quite happy.
I feel like more than half of the problems posted here for help involve the LACK of firmware or device updates.
Use of cheap devices, cheap cords, etc. Or just a complete inability to follow instructions, or learning to fly.
It just chaps me when someone comes and asks this forum a valid question, and get bombarded with how DJI HAS DONE EVERYTHING WRONG, and the only true road to satisfaction is rollbacks, third party software, and hacks.

Reactions: Jkellam96 and LucVN

What he said!!

Something to keep in mind is competition writing negative reviews to steer people away from a popular product that is out performing theirs. I've never had an issue with the GO4 app on any device in regards to Android. My most recent is a 99 dollar tablet. Dragontouch V10.

Well of course i get this response. I expected it. Kind of like how Vegans cant see the other side of the coin.

For me, there has not been a single issue with ANY firmware update I have done. Every one has made my mavic better in some way. So what does that say about people that have trouble? Is it the firmware or software? or is it their method or equipment?
I dont care if you update or not. I know people that still carry flip phones and use floppy discs. They are quite happy.
I feel like more than half of the problems posted here for help involve the LACK of firmware or device updates.
Use of cheap devices, cheap cords, etc. Or just a complete inability to follow instructions, or learning to fly.
It just chaps me when someone comes and asks this forum a valid question, and get bombarded with how DJI HAS DONE EVERYTHING WRONG, and the only true road to satisfaction is rollbacks, third party software, and hacks.
your lack of issues doesnt make others issues less valid,looks like your implying that its user error and its far from that

your lack of issues doesnt make others issues less valid,looks like your implying that its user error and its far from that
I am not sure that I am implying anything.
When it comes to firmware and software issues, why would the EXACT SAME DATA work for me and not for you?
Its either user error, or defective hardware. ( of course I am not referring to the people that are removing range limitations and NFZ's, just the ones that ground themselves after an update)

everything plays a part in the final outcome from tablet brand,tablet specs,sdcard specs,what options are set,even things like cable brand can play a part ,even users ability level but in the end users issues are real

everything plays a part in the final outcome from tablet brand,tablet specs,sdcard specs,what options are set,even things like cable brand can play a part ,even users ability level but in the end users issues are real
I totally agree with that.
I am saying that too many posters here like to blame everything on firmware or software updates right off the bat instead of overloaded CPU's in cheap devices, cheap SD cards and user error. If a person is not using the latest firmware or software, they are really not much help for those who are and having issues with it , are they?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes