DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ham Lic to use DJI Goggles?

Ron_Dog

Reactions
Since the DJI systems (including the new goggles) uses WiFi for it's video feed, is a Ham Operators Lic. required to use them,like it is with 5.8gHz?

No it is not required and the Mav and the goggles use the 2.4Ghz range.

Rob

Last edited:
That's great to know!:)

Respectfully, that's incorrect. The 5.8GHz amateur radio band is 5.650 GHz to 5.925GHz. It is an active band for both ground and sat comms.

Without a ham license, the 5.8GHz effective radiated power (ERP) (essentially (TX + antenna) - cable losses) cannot exceed 0.5 milliwatts (0.0005 watts).

The FCC has not exempted model aviation transmitters in the regs 47 CFR 15. So, to be legal, you need a ham license at the entry technician level.

N1QVE

Although much of what you say is true about amateur operation in the 5.8GHZ spectrum, 5.725 - 5.875 is in the ISM bands and hence requires no license. Spread Spectrum technology is allowed to go well beyond 0.5 milliwatts for ISM devices.

Thanks HFMan. I did not realize that my new goggles are running on the WiFi bands.

Correct in the claim that 5.725-5.875 is good for unlicensed spread spectrum operation up to 1W at the TX and 4W ERP. For 2.4GHz, spread spectrum use is 2.400 to 2.4835 GHz.

Of course, you and I know about the FPV guys running 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz without a license, but I won't go there, here. ;-)

I've been running a rover station VHF-SHF for many years. I can hear a lot of noise near urban areas on 2.4 and 5.8 that was never there before.

Thank again for the correction and 73 OM!

Actually, if you are referring to the DJI goggles, they don't operate in the 5.8 spectrum- they are also using Ocusync, which is all in the 2.4GHz ISM band.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu