DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand carry or check in your drone?

Sctcorolla

Reactions
Do you guys hand carry your Mavic Air or do you check it in with your luggage? What do most people do? Is there an advantage to doing it one way?

Would depend on Country, Airline, if carrying Batteries....

More info required...

Reactions: ssvdh66
We always recommend carry-on:
1. You can keep an eye on it and make sure your luggage isn't raided, mishandles, etc.
2. You can visibly show TSA that you're complying with all battery policies.
3. It will actually make it to your location!!

I have a LowePro backpack that carries my Air, all travel papers, the iPad, as well as a DLSR. It fits in the overhead compartment on international and local flights without any problems. A laptop is in my checked baggage for off loading and reviewing pix & footage at night after a day’s shooting. I could physically fit the laptop in the backpack, but it gets too heavy to handle easily.

There is no choice.
Drones MUST BE carry on due to the batteries.
Well you COULD check the drone and carry on the batteries, but it's better to just have it all together. and in a place that you can keep an eye on it.

I've carried on Asiana a couple of times to Seoul with no problems. The only time I had an "issue" was at SeaTac where there policy is "everything out of the bag" on returning international flights. Not a real problem, just a hassle when you have to dump all your gear into a bucket (i.e. no Global Entry perks when you get to the scanner ). Batteries should be in your carry-on anyway.

Do you guys hand carry your Mavic Air or do you check it in with your luggage? What do most people do? Is there an advantage to doing it one way?
Always hand carry it, and use the LiPo bags from Amazon for the batteries. It fits well in my camera case, and I can be sure it will not be lost or stolen.

I work for TSA at Los Angeles International (LAX), I also fly the Mavic 2 Pro. When I fly I have not drone in a carry-on backpack with the battery off. I have never had a problem. Also when working the x-ray we can clearly see the image of the drone and the battery and would not call a bag check.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
My wife flies much more than me and is always reminding me that what I carry needs to fit in a certain size carry on. I use a backpack my laptop, iPad , camera and Air with 4 batteries go in it. When in doubt she will take a couple of the batteries in her bag. So far, so far I’ve not had a problem. Normally we have to fly from Des Moines or Omaha to O’Hare and then on to our destination. Never flown out of country but so far so good.

I think most airlines require you to carry all types of batteries as hand carry..including powerbanks

Recently travelled to Ireland, left it on my checked bag without the batteries along with tripod and some accessories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv