DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching / Motor Stress?

Reactions
Started Hand catching the Mavic today. Not concerned too much about the actual catching as much as I am about the motors revving and it trying to pull away before shutdown. Has anyone heard or read anything advising not to do this due to increased stress on the motors, airframe or props? I know I can turn the sensors off but it's easier to just catch with them on. I'm just concerned about the added stress on the bird. Thanks in advance

Tip, 1)you can just turn off "landing protection" switch which will still leave on precision landing and forward sensors. It just turns off the ultrasonic sonic sensor and stops Mavic from rising away from you.
2) leave all sensors on but just as you come down to hand catch switch to sports mode, lower the last few feet and hand catch.

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
I hover mine at shoulder height, then hit the auto land button and slide the Ok across and hold full down throttle. It drops into my hand then shuts off. No issues at all. Though the neck strap really helps with it!

I never actually grab the mavic when I hand catch. I gently land on an open-palm and if it takes off again, l just let it, don't move, keep stick down, it lands again and shuts down...then I grab it.

1)you can just turn off "landing protection" switch which will still leave on precision landing and forward sensors. It just turns off the ultrasonic sonic sensor and stops Mavic from rising away from you.
Turning off "Landing Protection" does not disable the downward sensors. It will resolve the issue the OP noted above though.

you can try to grasp the front part of the Mavic (just below the obstacle sensors)

that way your hand wont get below the VPS sensors and the Mavic won't try to fly away by revving up the motors..
At least I do it this way..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu