DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro hand catch problems?r

jphoto

Reactions
I typically hand catch. Worked fine on my Mini 3 Pro and Air 2S. Not so much with the Mavic 3 Pro, it just doesn’t “want” to land on my hand. It will just hover forever. I’ve faked it out a few times, but that’s the typical behavior. I can land on ground or a surface with no issues. It’s only a hand catch issue.

Anybody else?

I typically hand catch. Worked fine on my Mini 3 Pro and Air 2S. Not so much with the Mavic 3 Pro, it just doesn’t “want” to land on my hand. It will just hover forever. I’ve faked it out a few times, but that’s the typical behavior. I can land on ground or a surface with no issues. It’s only a hand catch issue.

Anybody else?
That's the landing protection system which I personally hate. Why it can not be switched off is beyond me. As for the hand catching, make sure your arm is fully outstratched and your hand held as steady as possible. Otherwise the landing protection system will kick in and establish the moving landing area (your hand) as not suitable place for landing and the drone will hesitate for a moment and it won't land.

As already mentioned hold your hand out directly under the drone. Then yank the left control stick down and wait 3 seconds. The drone will drop down into your hand. Don't move your hand or try to grab at it - just let it drop. I have used this technique with mine from the first day I got it and almost never land it on the ground.

Even when landing on the stationary, flat non-moving ground, the M3Pro lands like a pig; for the life of me, not sure why anyone would want to catch it unless you're on a small boat in the water or standing in a foot of snow. No one has an arm long enough to keep those props far enough away from your head and eyes. 😵‍💫

Reactions: AirStag and Cafguy
Meaning no offence but I would suggest "close the throttle and hold it closed" is perhaps a better description of what needs to be done, "yank" 'sounds' like rough handling to me.
Oooh yes! The throttle stick needs to be held all the way down for about 3 seconds. But you need to do the same when landing on the ground, don"t you?

Reactions: Bill Lorenz
Meaning no offence but I would suggest "close the throttle and hold it closed" is perhaps a better description of what needs to be done, "yank" 'sounds' like rough handling to me.
Your choice of words is definitely more suitable :)
Even when landing on the stationary, flat non-moving ground, the M3Pro lands like a pig; for the life of me, not sure why anyone would want to catch it unless you're on a small boat in the water or standing in a foot of snow. No one has an arm long enough to keep those props far enough away from your head and eyes. 😵‍💫
I have been using this technique for almost a year with my Mavic 3 before getting the M3 Pro and they act the same. At this point it seems natural for me. I will land on the ground or landing pad if its too windy.
Oooh yes! The throttle stick needs to be held all the way down for about 3 seconds. But you need to do the same when landing on the ground, don"t you?
Correct - if you look at the logs it shows the moment where it stop and then commits to landing. The logs show 2.5 seconds as the lag.

I should add that once the drone actually drops into your hand gently close your fingers and wait. The drone will turn the props off by itself within about a second - there is no reason for you to do any kind of gymnastics to shut the props down.

Thanks for all the replies! As I said, I've been hand catching other drones, and have been using the exact technique described with total success. Until now with the Mavic 3 Pro. I hope others will benefit from the instructions posted, it's what I've been doing for a year +.

The M3Pro is very different in landing in general, but especially hand catching. I've had it get "stuck" in the process, and no matter how long I hold the throttle stick down, it won't land. I've held it for as much as 15 seconds. It actually happened once during a non-hand-catch landing. Once I can grab it, it behaves normally, shutting down the props. But 3 seconds down on the throttle stick...nope. So when it balks, I release the stick, then try again. And release and try again. Sometimes three times. It eventually will land.

As to why hand catch a M3P...many reasons, same as for the other drones. Tight landing zone, or non-existent LZ, like tall grass. Yes I hand catch from a boat, and do that because it's nearly impossible to have a boat dead still. Hand catching lets me move. It's just my preferred landing method, as long as it will actually land that way. I have no problem catching with the props safely away from my face, and my arms are not unusually long.

So, other than the standard catch method, if anyone has any ideas as to how to get this landing like an Air 2S, I'm all ears.

• Love
Reactions: Octavio
Thanks for all the replies! As I said, I've been hand catching other drones, and have been using the exact technique described with total success. Until now with the Mavic 3 Pro. I hope others will benefit from the instructions posted, it's what I've been doing for a year +.

The M3Pro is very different in landing in general, but especially hand catching. I've had it get "stuck" in the process, and no matter how long I hold the throttle stick down, it won't land. I've held it for as much as 15 seconds. It actually happened once during a non-hand-catch landing. Once I can grab it, it behaves normally, shutting down the props. But 3 seconds down on the throttle stick...nope. So when it balks, I release the stick, then try again. And release and try again. Sometimes three times. It eventually will land.

As to why hand catch a M3P...many reasons, same as for the other drones. Tight landing zone, or non-existent LZ, like tall grass. Yes I hand catch from a boat, and do that because it's nearly impossible to have a boat dead still. Hand catching lets me move. It's just my preferred landing method, as long as it will actually land that way. I have no problem catching with the props safely away from my face, and my arms are not unusually long.

So, other than the standard catch method, if anyone has any ideas as to how to get this landing like an Air 2S, I'm all ears.
Put it in SPorts Mode... (Sensors OFF)...
and gently bring it down. (Left Stick slowly to the BOTTOM and hold)

Most times it will gently land on your hand - (Not auto land)

Thats How I do it.

Put it in SPorts Mode... (Sensors OFF)...
and gently bring it down. (Left Stick slowly to the BOTTOM and hold)

Most times it will gently land on your hand - (Not auto land)

Thats How I do it.
Or just wait until the battery is below 10%, when it will start Autolanding land want to land! LOL! That's how I do it!

Or just wait until the battery is below 10%, when it will start Autolanding land want to land! LOL! That's how I do it!
It might be worth checking that in an experiment.
Recently I happened to run a Mini 2 down to 0% because it rejected the landing site during the 'forced landing' and I did not acknowledge or whatever, the message about that.
It then hovered until the battery hit 0% and then the drone descended "come hell or high water"

Could you elaborate on the “lands like a pig” for me, thinking seriously about getting a Mavic 3 Pro. Sure am hoping your not suggesting it lands real hard. My Mavic 1 lands really soft.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Could you elaborate on the “lands like a pig” for me, thinking seriously about getting a Mavic 3 Pro. Sure am hoping your not suggesting it lands real hard. My Mavic 1 lands really soft.
Depending on your landing site of course, the drone wants to come in slowly but when it gets close if you let off the sticks, often the drone will rise quickly as if it's avoiding something. The landing is not particularly hard but it often bounces and switches orientation slightly. Couple of times I missed the landing sequence and had to re-engage. It's just not so smooth like my other drones. When I land, I'm much further out because I don't want to be near it. Unlike my FPV drones that I can practically land at my feet.

Depending on your landing site of course, the drone wants to come in slowly but when it gets close if you let off the sticks, often the drone will rise quickly as if it's avoiding something. The landing is not particularly hard but it often bounces and switches orientation slightly. Couple of times I missed the landing sequence and had to re-engage. It's just not so smooth like my other drones. When I land, I'm much further out because I don't want to be near it. Unlike my FPV drones that I can practically land at my feet.
I have not had any of those issues. Mine lands...when it wants to land...softly and without orientation change. Lands perfectly when it wants to, not at all when it doesn't. Never had a single bounce though.

And to date, I've never seen a pig land. All the pigs I've ever seen have already been on the ground.

Reactions: PAW
Beg to differ. All you need to do is raise your hand a bit higher than your head. It will drop perfectly into your palm - above your head and eyes. Don't see a problem here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope