DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Strange Pano Behavior

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Recently got a Mavic 3 for the first time.
Have flown Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Air2s and several other DJI drones for years and shot 1,000's of panos.

Not sure this is typical but I have struggled with a couple issues with Mavic 3 when taking panos.

First: The photo capture is MUCH quicker than any previous drone BUT the stitching seems to take twice as long.
I use a pretty fast SD card, fine for 4K video, so I don't think it is write speed of the card slowing it down but it just takes forever before I can shoot another photo.

Second: I hate that it no longer says "PANO COMPLETE" to give me the assurance that it stitched fine.
This is especially frustrating because of the following issue:

Third: The SLIGHTEST of winds, cause the pano to fail. I know the drone needs to stay steady but even in light wind, the Mavic 3 just fails at panos.
I've got a handful of ongoing construction projects that I have been shooting bi-weekly for over a year.
A few of them are along the coast and I am used to steady wind there and my previous drones have never had an issue.
With the Mavic 3, it will start taking the photos and then just quit as it senses the wind.
Frustratingly, sometimes it is at like Photo 23 or Photo 24 and I think the pano is complete: but it is not.
I've ended up doing everything for the job, landing, and they deploying the Air2s to do the Panos.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Or suggestions?

I also miss the pano complete, but make sure your drone is up to date.

Next be sure you have a Sandisk Extreme Sd Card :
Also check your drone by doing a Pano in a perfect environment an watch the drone from the front.

I have tested the mavic 3 Pano in some heavy winds ,and it is prone to messing up the Horizon so the Full Proof way of doing the Pano is to Manually Take the Photos , giving you amazing control as to where you want the Pano to start.

Bring them into Adove Light Room and letting that software Stich them together , the results are fantastic and very quick..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Drone in the Rain. Land on the Water and Pano your Journey

Reactions: DougMcC
Next be sure you have a Sandisk Extreme Sd Card

I will give that a whirl, I typically use PNY and fast enough for 5K/48 fps so I figured it could write quick enough to keep up with 1 photo per second but who knows

Full Proof way of doing the Pano is to Manually Take the Photos

Yeah, for sure, that is always an option and if just firing off 1 or 2, certainly a good option. It becomes cumbersome though when doing many in a day.

thanks for the reply

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Had this issue happen on me many times on many drones. Not sure why DJI's software is sometimes unreliable, but that's a fact.

Wind and panoramas is an interesting subject.

In theory, if you are focused near infinity and far from your subject wind should not introduce any stitching errors due to parallax as drone movements should be negligible.

in practice I see an increased number of stitching errors when pano is shot in strong wind conditions. I don't have a full systematic data yet but it's something I'm interested in. There must be a reason.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas