DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassed in PA

Not through anyone's private structures, unless obviously abandoned, or with permission.

The interior of a barn is just like your living room, and you're just as liable for whatever laws that make it illegal to fly through the window of a house and wander around with your Avata. These laws don't say, "barns excepted" 🤣
It isn't illegal to fly through the window of a home. BUT without permission, It is harassment, plus if the drone is beyond your line of site thats another problem ( unless your buddy is with you). In bakersfield you would most likely go to jail for harassment if you did it. BUT if I lived in a rural Area If you are my neighbor and you leave your Barn ( Never house!) windows open I will be tempted to fly my tinyWhoop right on through. Being careful to not cause damage of course.

Reactions: Torque
I flew a barn just last week!
A barn in use is just like a house, private, you don't enter unless invited. However here in Washington state there are a lot of old abandoned barns sitting in wide open fields, and unless they are marked with No Trespassing, they are fair game IMO.
However my assumption about Cymruflyer's statement about non-recreational flight was reference to "hovering at someone's window" not low flying or barn flying.
Edit: I painted and decaled my Avata so it is white - the infamous TicTac of UFO fame...lol. I have to clean the grass stains off of the prop guards after each flight now that it is white. That is not from crashing, I love skimming the meadows!
Surprisingly the white is actually more visible against the ground than the black was. So say my visual observers ;-)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: umanbean and Cafguy
I flew a barn just last week!
There is an old cotton storage house near, that the city let FPVers fly next too. We immediately found missing sheets on the roof !! Now we dive in and grind around the place PURE FUN!! lots of abandoned structures around to fly.
We always cooperate with the police or security guards If they say go we smile and go.
Yours Truly - OldaZZ FPV

You guys really need to brush up on the specific laws in your state. There's no excuse for not knowing what is applicable and what isn't. Just like drone laws that we painfully go thru the finer details, the resources are available and it's easy to look it up and read it and then come up with a reasonable interpretation of your state and local laws.

You guys really need to brush up on the specific laws in your state. There's no excuse for not knowing what is applicable and what isn't. Just like drone laws that we painfully go thru the finer details, the resources are available and it's easy to look it up and read it and then come up with a reasonable interpretation of your state and local laws.
NO laws broken I am not physically breaking in, and line of site does not apply indoors. My tinyWhoop is 3"x3" and its heaviest part is probably the 14 gram Battery. I would not break the law I have been trespassed but I accept that and say thank you and walk away.

@Cafguy, I find some of your views about drone laws in the Bakersfield area curious... from what you've posted, you seem to think drones are prohibited from flying anywhere, but inside other people's private structures without permission is just fine with the law.

Different here in the Santa Cruz area. Can fly just about anywhere with no fear of getting tangled with the law. Buzz your Avata through a neighbor's open window and explore their house (barn, workshop, greenhouse, take your pick) and you're getting some steel bracelets, and a lot of grief ahead.

• Haha
Steel Bracelets? LOL, for flyin' through the neighbor's barn? Oh my...
That's up to the barn owner, isn't it?

Suppose the owner is using the space for something entirely legal, but socially embarrassing. Let your imaginations go wild, it doesn't matter.

The School Teacher who volunteers at the local library has every right to have her OnlyFans studio in the barn without you knowing. We call it Private Property, and Privacy.

I'm finding these cavalier attitudes about privacy very troubling. I'm not a supporter of RID, VLOS requirements and a bunch of other nanny-state parenting crap. Or some of the ridiculous controls and enforcement at things like Burning Man.

This sort of thing? I think anyone that deliberately flies their drone inside some private, non-commercial building without permission should spend at least a few days eating baloney sandwiches away from their comfy bed.

Abandoned property being the exception. Privacy is what is precious, to all of us, and needs to be vigorously protected.

Last edited:

Suppose the owner is using the space for something entirely legal, but socially embarrassing. Let your imaginations go wild, it doesn't matter.

The School Teacher who volunteers at the local library has every right to have her OnlyFans studio in the barn without you knowing. We call it Private Property, and Privacy.

I'm finding these cavalier attitudes about privacy very troubling. I'm not a supporter of RID, VLOS requirements and a bunch of other nanny-state parenting crap. Or some of the ridiculous controls and enforcement at things like Burning Man.

This sort of thing? I think anyone that deliberately flies their drone inside some private, non-commercial building without permission should spend at least a few days eating baloney sandwiches away from their comfy bed.

Abandoned property being the exception. Privacy is what is precious, to all of us, and needs to be vigorously protected.
Agreed, by the same token, you wouldn't want the police to go snooping in there either claiming it's not a residence or the door is open, or there is no sign posted, etc. The laws need to catch up as I have not yet found a non-drone law that covers whether you fly a drone thru an open window, hit a baseball thru an open window, or throw some object thru the barn doors while standing on the sidewalk. May not be trespassing (per se) but "it's gotta be something not legal." Still looking....

I'm guessing you'll come up empty finding anything specific. The "common sense" view that "A man's home is his Castle" is so old in human thinking, and specifically American culture that violations are charged under other existing laws, usually trespassing.

In CA, you can be charged with trespassing with a drone (link):

In California, the following civil and criminal laws may apply to drone use:​
Civil Code Section 1708.8: Trespassing, or the physical invasion of privacy, either by entering private land or air space without permission, especially to take images or recordings in an offensive way.​

Reactions: mavic3usa
In CA, you can be charged with trespassing with a drone (link):

In California, the following civil and criminal laws may apply to drone use:​
Civil Code Section 1708.8: Trespassing, or the physical invasion of privacy, either by entering private land or air space without permission, especially to take images or recordings in an offensive way.​
What exactly is "private airspace"?

Reactions: umanbean
Since we are steering off topic a bit about a barn on private property and the "airspace" within.

How about this scenario...

An old school historic covered bridge across a river that's in a public park that doesn't allow drone activity from the property.

But you have perfect VLOS from across the street.

Should you fly through the covered bridge that is accessible to the public?

Obviously when nobody is around for flight safety.

Is it still FAA airspace in the bridge area while it sits on park property?

Things that make you go hmm. 🤔.

In my mind, for most instances trespassing (without a crime involved) is most applicable to private property. and i'm adding this in just for the sake of discussion, residential or non-commercial property and yes, safety not an issue. for example, you cannot just walk into someone's garage (attached to their house) and then claim there are no signs posted, no one told you to leave, and the door wasn't locked. this could be considered trespassing and i mean more than just the "warning" type in which you are told to leave and don't come back. your garage is not open to the public, etc.

if the park is open to the public (but no drones) then in my mind, flying over the park and flying through the covered bridge is ok but what isn't ok is flying into the park rangers office thru an open window or thru the front door into the "public" lobby because it's an enclosed (occupied) space. if the entire park is in laanc (restricted) airspace, i don't think you have to get faa auth in order to fly in the offices/lobby (with permission) but you do have to get laanc if you want to fly through the covered bridge. i think it has been mentioned before "common sense" will come into place in certain situations and unfortunately what we believe may not exactly line up with the authorities might believe. however, i can pretty much assure you if you fly a (unwanted) drone into an "occupied space" you are likely to catch some type of charge, just not sure what it would be.

I respect privacy, I just think "steel bracelets" was a bit over the top and sounded like a line from bad pulp fiction.
I've already stated that an occupied barn should be treated with the same respect as a home in a prior post.
My attitude is not cavalier, Mr. I'm Taking My Drone To Burning Man! LOL, it was your gumshoe lingo that I was laughing at.
Here in the western states it is quite easy to find abandoned farms with abandoned barns and outbuildings, most in advanced states of disrepair. Corporate farming and importation of food has left much of once producing land, empty and fallow. Nobody cares what you do unless you disassemble the barn to steal the aged wood, then you might have to worry about those "steel bracelets."

Again, to clarify, I would never fly my FPV drones through structures on private, occupied land without the owner's permission. The Barn I flew through last week was the barn at Piano Ranch, a dedicated, AMA sanctioned FPV only flying field.
A place where you can fly without RID after 9/16 as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23