DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hartwood Mental Hospital - Central Scotland

Nafnonac

Reactions
Out with the magic for a short flight this morning to a local derelict Mental Hospital. The place is fenced off now after a fire ripped through it a number of years ago. Was a little nervous to fly over it as I could see no way in if it fell out the sky. Anyway enjoyed it, still not great at controlling the mavic so need more practice and some fine adjustments to controls and of course figuring out where my left and right are.

Out with the magic for a short flight this morning to a local derelict Mental Hospital. The place is fenced off now after a fire ripped through it a number of years ago. Was a little nervous to fly over it as I could see no way in if it fell out the sky. Anyway enjoyed it, still not great at controlling the mavic so need more practice and some fine adjustments to controls and of course figuring out where my left and right are.

At first I thought the title was "Hollywood Mental Hospital." Excellent video without the celebrities.

Cool site, but although it may be abandoned, those antennas looked maintained/active. A bit too close for my comfort. Also, try tripod mode next time to smooth out the pans.

Cool site, but although it may be abandoned, those antennas looked maintained/active. A bit too close for my comfort. Also, try tripod mode next time to smooth out the pans.

Thanks for the advice regarding tripod mode I will have a look at that. Antennas are dead. When it closed as a hospital in became a local TV station for a while, then a massive fire wrecked it, so antenna are not in use. As is often the case with video footage it looks much close than it is.

Reactions: BuzzyOne
nice atmospheric music....looks a fantastic place to have a rummage through one night on foot with head torch with the drone footage included.....nice footage...like BuzzOne states smooth those pans....all the fine tunings will come with practise....when youve nailed the controls and the fine tuning...revisit the site again....i really enjoyed the footage as im well into URBEX (urban exploring) well done...remember everyone starts as a beginner...

Reactions: Nafnonac
I have noticed that too and though very nice to see they still make me feel for the poor souls that were in there .No telling how they treated the mentally ill back then .

I have noticed that too and though very nice to see they still make me feel for the poor souls that were in there .No telling how they treated the mentally ill back then .

I think there are at least 6 within a hours drive of my house. They do have a strange attraction and are good focal points for drone videos. However you can't visit these without thinking back to what they must have been like.

6 is a lot to be near you . Might be something in the water so watch it .
Yeah it's kinda sad but I would be at all of them too videoing .
Back then I most likely would have been in one :(

A fascinating video Nafnonac. I'm same as you with my Mavic - "L" plates about 6 foot square to hide behind.

I love the location and think that it's such a pity that such a magnificent building has gone to ruin.

Was the building that you also show in more detail a 1 min 15 sec also part of the hospital complex? That looks derelict and un-used too.Hartwood.jpg
I assume that I've got the correct location on the above map?

Hi Whitwellian thanks for your comments and yes you have the right location on the map. I was previously an owner of a Phantom 3A but still very much a beginner. The hospital and grounds were stunning in there day, the other building was previously nurses quarters for that hospital and another near by and also as a training college. Enjoy you Mavic and look forward to seeing your footage.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenbookwriting