DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has any American been able to get the EU C1 label?

wco81

Reactions
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/aug/12/rose-matafeo-starstruck-interviewApparently, DJI drones purchased in the US do not come with C1 labels, although all of the Mavic 3 models except the M3 Pro are certified for C1.

Also the Air 3 as well.

Instead apparently you have to request the label within their app while you're in one of the eligible EU countries.

The C1 label application portal is only available when your drone fulfills the following 3 conditions: a. Your drone type is Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Cineb. DJI APP version is 1.9.0 or above and Firmware version is 01.00.0900 or above;c. Drone now is in our supported country list ( 27 member states of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway,Swizerland ) ;

If your drone fulfills the above conditions, Please follow the DJI EU C1-label application process (Europe: The C1 Label for Your Mavic 3 & Cine is Available! Here's How to Get One. ) to get the label and certificate document. Please refer to the following two links for detailed instructions.

So what are Americans suppose to do, submit a request in the app while they're in Europe, to have the label be mailed to a US address? What good does that do them for the trip in which they submit the request for the label? They won't have it until they return back home?

Has any American owner who purchased the C1 drone in the US gone through this process at all?

Or perhaps tried to spoof the app with VPN?

I'd be upset if I spent a couple thousand or more on a new drone and had problems getting the label.

According to this thread, even some EU residents can't get it to work:

I don't understand why DJI doesn't either include the label in the box or affix it to the drone or send it out to any registered owner who requests it.

Reactions: CadrePilot
I contacted DJI Support to try and get one for the Mavic 3 and they claimed they couldn't send me one.
Yeah I got the same message.

They say you have to be in Europe for the app to even offer you the option of ordering the labels.

But the problem is, it will only ship labels to European addresses.

So I don't know, if starting next month we hear that non EU residents are unable to fly drones in the EU even if they have a C1-drone, then owners are going to have to try something.

Like maybe use a VPN to order and then use a hotel address where they plan to stay when they visit with their drone.

Either that or maybe have to buy a drone in the EU assuming it comes with the label out of the box for the ones sold there ...

Or worst case, fly your drone in the A1 and A2 category, which is the least restrictive category, and hope that you're not accosted to show proof that your drone is C1 and A1/A2 eligible, that is show the label..

You may have to feign ignorance of the rules which are suppose to come online in just 23 days.

I'm having the exact same issue with the Mini 4 Pro. With the Intelligent Flight Battery PLUS, I'm easily in >250g territory. DJI has refused to send me a C1 label after several requests to support. I guess I'll have to try it the next time I'm in Helsinki and have the label sent to my office.

Has anyone else within the US had any luck getting DJI to see reason on this one?

Is this just a label? Can you get them sent to a European address and have them posted on? If they'll post to the UK, I'd be happy to help.

I actually looked into buying a compliant drone in Europe.

For instance I’m going to Malta in a couple of weeks and contacted a DJI dealer there.

They said labels may or may not come in the box for drone they sell. So you’d still have to go through the app and have DJI ship labels and DJI said it’s not enough to be in the EU when you request the label through the app. They will only ship to EU addresses.

In any event the dealer claims there’s some undefined grace period where they’re not enforcing these new rules.

How long before police would know to look for labels, if they’re even routinely checking people flying drones?

Dealer said it was more important to have proof of insurance but again, are they looking out for drones and then finding the pilots and demanding to see proof of insurance?

Why not make your own "label"? Print it on a sticky mailing label, stick it on, off you go...

If they make it impossible to use one of their labels, they should expect people to get creative.

Can someone take a picture of the official label and post it here?