DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody ever flown in a national park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the FAA can authorize an airspace restriction. Any ban of overflights by a municipality, or any other entity, is technically illegal.

More and more municipalities are in conflict with federal law on this matter, but that does not stop them. Most drone operators don’t have the resources to fight it in court, so we have no choice but to comply.

And, this is why the NPS is smart enough to admit that they can not regulate overflights. As for launching and landing in a NP, it's pretty clear.

Don't take these "bans" lightly. Laws need to be correct and legal first, and then enforced, otherwise they are meaningless.

Sage advice.

In doing research for a Cape Cod trip, I noticed that the Town of Wellfleet, inside of the Cape Cod National Seashore, has a complete ban on drone use, including overflight.
You can't land or launch within the National Seashore property anyway. But yes, they have no authority to regulate the airspace.

For me, I'm more conscious of crowds of people. So, if you take a packed park like Yellowstone I would not consider flying my drone there, legal or not. It would certainly be a distraction to other's enjoyment of the park with a drone (or multiple drones) buzzing around. I was on a beach once where a kid was legally flying a drone over a crowded beach for 40 minutes and found it to be very annoying.

Now, if you're out by yourself and want to take some scenic shots. Yes, I think it should be allowed or at least controlled on a park by park basis. For the NPS to universally ban it in all parks is ridiculous. The NPS controlled acreage is immense and only a very small portion of it gets hoards of tourists.

Fly responsibly and be conscious of others. Don't fly around other people just because you can get a shot they can't. That's how I treat it, anyway...
I'm similar and would love to get some 4x4 shots while off roading in Death Valley NP. I can drive all day and not see another vehicle. The weird thing is flying in national forest has not been much of an issue from what I've seen so far...at least not much difference than the places I'm flying already. But I also have enough sense not to fly around others and annoy them. Kinda hard to do in a crowded park. I use my drone as a camera but understand unique shots gather like minded photographers. I'd be somewhat upset to set up a DSLR on a tripod for that perfect shot and come to find a drone (any drone) obstructing my shot. I still think many anti droners overreact to drones though. The post about a drone falling into one of the Yellowstone ponds is a concern but I watched a guy drop an DSLR into one those geysers. Probably a few more down there than that one. Wonder how many other things are discarded in the backcountry as litter by some backpackers?

I just don't know if the park service will want to spend money to do drone control patrol. And with the price of camera drones dropping to low prices, how much of a problem will they be in the future? Were not just talking about high end aircraft piloted by responsible people...you have to factor in [edit-kid type] drones.

The reason they ban drones is not because there are responsible pilots that fly well and within the law. But like always in life, there are few that will trespass the line and will disturb the peace of animals and visitors. This is why the ban exist. People who violated all kinds of things it's why laws and more restrictions will be create it to even make less enjoyable flying.
Don't forget the "SECRET" stuff going on they don't want us to discover...just saying

Don't forget the "SECRET" stuff going on they don't want us to discover...just saying
Don't forget your hat!
tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theory1.jpg

;)

We here all dropped a whole bunch of money for our DJI drones. Most (OK... some) of us are very careful with our investment and very careful to help keep public opinion in our favor. However, each and every month now will see a tremendous increase in the number of $39 drones bought for kids and unknowing adults. Just think how many of these things would be buzzing around our NPs in the next 5-10 years if they were uncontrolled! They will be as common in kids hands as cell phones are today.
No how, no way, ever will I think drones in our NPs would EVER be a good idea except for an official use.(search and rescue the etc.)

We here all dropped a whole bunch of money for our DJI drones. Most (OK... some) of us are very careful with our investment and very careful to help keep public opinion in our favor. However, each and every month now will see a tremendous increase in the number of $39 drones bought for kids and unknowing adults. Just think how many of these things would be buzzing around our NPs in the next 5-10 years if they were uncontrolled! They will be as common in kids hands as cell phones are today.
No how, no way, ever will I think drones in our NPs would EVER be a good idea except for an official use.(search and rescue the etc.)

AirMap's vision is that there will be millions of drones and they will manage billions of flights.
So control is coming.

With billions of flights by millions of drones in mind, AirMap is working together with stakeholders in our industry to build the airspace management system that will support these operations.
10 Things to Know About Part 107 - AirMap

Thanks for your input! The reasoning and justification for flying in NPs that some people on this thread were using seemed absolutely ludicrous to me.

Reactions: Colberado
Thanks for your input! The reasoning and justification for flying in NPs that some people on this thread were using seemed absolutely ludicrous to me.
The reasoning and justification for totally banning flights by tiny, unobtrusive UAVs, on 52.2 million acres of public land, seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

Reactions: macoman
The reasoning and justification for totally banning flights by tiny, unobtrusive UAVs, on 52.2 million acres of public land, seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

You’ve made that clear, but again the flaw in your argument is thinking they’re unobtrusive.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
You’ve made that clear, but again the flaw in your argument is thinking they’re unobtrusive.
Something can't be obtrusive if there is no one around to intrude on.

I'm pretty sure that the NPS could find a couple hundred acres, among the 52 million, where that would be the case.

Well if you are not there to be salty, no one cares.

I'm pretty sure that the NPS could find a couple hundred acres, among the 52 million, where that would be the case.

I thought about replying as well in the sense that when I am in a NP, it annoys me just seeing people. A drone would not annoy me though... but that bus that just dropped off people that are standing on trees, rocks, in the water, etc etc etc.... that is obtrusive.

And that would never please the people who want to fly in national parks. After all, if someone just wants to fly in remote scenic areas there are millions of acres that aren’t in national parks. The crowd pushing for this want to fly in primo areas.

And that would never please the people who want to fly in national parks. After all, if someone just wants to fly in remote scenic areas there are millions of acres that aren’t in national parks. The crowd pushing for this want to fly in primo areas.
Once again, that "all or nothing" mindset.

First, many, including myself, would be happy to fly in areas that you don't consider "primo", where very few people ever go, in fact most "pushing for this would prefer it that way. A simple fine or two for non compliance would take care of those who chose to ignore the guidelines.

Second, it is getting harder and harder to find remote scenic land, especially in the east, where it is not already restricted in some way, or one runs the risk of offending some private property owner.

And lastly, if you consider not only National Parks, National Seashore, Blue Ridge Parkway, National Monuments... that is a crapload of OUR LAND, in my state alone, some of the only non inhabited left, which has been deemed a crime to fly a tiny electric toy from. Add to this, State Parks, military training areas and bases, paranoid private property owners and obviously, controlled airspace, here in NC there is very little left where you don't feel you are breaking some GD law.

Add to that, town parks and municipalities where the confusion on the matter is so great it's often not worth the effort. In fact I'm beginning to think that is exactly what is happening. Make it so difficult and confusing the average person will just not risk it eventually.

I'm just not sure why you took up this hobby in the first place, only to be okay with flying in your own backyard with your eyes over your shoulder, constantly in fear of some authority taking you to jail. That is what it is quickly becoming, for the hobbyists.

Banning flights in millions of acres of public lands, where no good reason exists other than "I don't like them" only compounds the problem.

I'm just not sure why you took up this hobby in the first place, only to be okay with flying in your own backyard with your eyes over your shoulder, constantly in fear of some authority taking you to jail. That is what it is quickly becoming, for the hobbyists.

Because the reality is that I’m not fixated on where I can’t fly, and I’ve actually been able to fly everywhere I’ve ever wanted to fly. I don’t let paranoia keep me looking over my shoulder or “feeling” like I can’t fly anywhere when that’s not the case.

Last edited:
I simply can’t comprehend the argument here. I’ve flown in national forests, up 14,000 ft peaks, beautiful stream-land, rivers, mountain ranges, oceans, marshland, and photographed wildlife with zero regulation and restriction. All it takes is work. Yes you have to drive/fly/travel. Yes you have to hike for hours and hours in snow, rain, heat. Yes you have to put forth effort to find little known areas off forest roads and trails with little to no foot travel. Yes you have to be CREATIVE. All of these areas are overwhelmingly in excess throughout the continental Unites States. To complain about access to the most frequently visited/easily-viewed touristic natural landscape available in national parks/monuments while knowingly aware the regulations are put in place due to popular opinion against your hobby and/or to protect sensitive wildlife/landscape absolutely baffles me. In fact it seems counterproductive for drones in general. The accessible acreage and abundant scenic landscape is simply not comparable to the minuscule amount of drone restricted land. The guy above this post mentions numerous restrictions in his area of NC...how many national forests are in NC again? Four? Five? Then you have Tennessee literally right there...Chattanooga anyone? It’s all about perspective.

I simply can’t comprehend the argument here. I’ve flown in national forests, up 14,000 ft peaks, beautiful stream-land, rivers, mountain ranges, oceans, marshland, and photographed wildlife with zero regulation and restriction. All it takes is work. Yes you have to drive/fly/travel. Yes you have to hike for hours and hours in snow, rain, heat. Yes you have to put forth effort to find little known areas off forest roads and trails with little to no foot travel. Yes you have to be CREATIVE. All of these areas are overwhelmingly in excess throughout the continental Unites States. To complain about access to the most frequently visited/easily-viewed touristic natural landscape available in national parks/monuments while knowingly aware the regulations are put in place due to popular opinion against your hobby and/or to protect sensitive wildlife/landscape absolutely baffles me. In fact it seems counterproductive for drones in general. The accessible acreage and abundant scenic landscape is simply not comparable to the minuscule amount of drone restricted land. The guy above this post mentions numerous restrictions in his area of NC...how many national forests are in NC again? Four? Five? Then you have Tennessee literally right there...Chattanooga anyone? It’s all about perspective.
I agreed completely. There are so much out there that can be explore and are not restricted to drones.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
13 pages of some of the most ridiculous and absurd arguments against flying our little unobtrusive toys in these wonderful parks. Sometimes I wonder if some of you have even visited a national park, Especially ones like Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone etc. if you ever had, you will be treated to an unending train of sightseeing helicopters and airplanes “buzzing around“. They are everywhere! I don’t see anyone complaining that they are ruining their “nature” experience. These parks are here for our enjoyment and some of us would like to enjoy them by taking some aerial pictures and video. We wouldn’t be bothering or putting anyone in danger. It’s time people stood up and pushed back against these knee-jerk rules based on nothing more then complete ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark